Road Chain rings vs Cassette

Spirog

I got such good advice on the Hub regarding my wheel upgrade, so I'm back for more info.

I ride a Bianchi with Campagnola Veloce components.

I feel like I'm running out of gears on fast flats and descents I have been training quite hard over the last few months, so I'm sure that I'm stronger.

My question is this:

Should I be changing the 50/34 chain ring to a 53/39?

What change will this make in terms of speed?

What difference will this make in terms of energy required to turn the pedals, especially on the hills?

Or, do I change the rear cassette?

Do I have to buy the cranks/chain rings/BB as a set, or can I combine components?

Toss the compact cranks and go to the standard. 53/39. This will give the top end you looking for, if you battle the climbs on a 11-23, 11-25 is an option, otherwise HTFU .Sram do an 11-27 but you need another rear mech shifter set for that.

Guest Smimby

You can fit 38/52 chainrings on your compact crank, and make sure your cassette is a 11-25/28 or something like that

I run a compact crank with a 28 cassette on the back (107kgs so go up the hills sloooowwwwly). Could still pedal (at over 70km/h) down long tom pass yesterday.

So my advice would be standard crank and look for a pro team if you're spinning out on the flats, or otherwise cadence training.

Toss the compact cranks and go to the standard. 53/39. This will give the top end you looking for, if you battle the climbs on a 11-23, 11-25 is an option, otherwise HTFU .Sram do an 11-27 but you need another rear mech shifter set for that.

HTFU it shall be, then.

Does changing the cranks and chain rings require a whole new BB or does it just slot straight in?

I would either stay with FSA as per original spec, or change to Campy. Any input?

Campy crank = campy BB

i changed to FSA compact to assist me with the col's in france last year (with 12-29 cassette). i tried to keep the compact on my return but found that i spin out on the flats. im back with standard. i had to change bb when i changed to the FSA crank and visa versa.

Edited by Banesto

Campy crank = campy BB

i changed to FSA compact to assist me with the col's in france last year (with 12-29 cassette). i tried to keep the compact on my return but found that i spin out on the flats. im back with standard. i had to change bb when i changed to the FSA crank and visa versa.

Forgive the dumb question- compact is 50/34 and standard is 53/39?

Does R 2,500 for a new 53/39 as quoted by LBS for FSA cranks sound correct?

Forgive the dumb question- compact is 50/34 and standard is 53/39?

Does R 2,500 for a new 53/39 as quoted by LBS for FSA cranks sound correct?

compact is 50/34 and standard is 53/39

as for cost im not too sure. i bought a 2nd hand compact off a hubber at under R1000

Change to a standard Campag crank, 53/39. What cassette ratio are you running currently? You might have to change your BB as well as Campag have the Ultra Torque or Power torque setup which might not be compatible with your FSA bb. An ideal cassette ratio would be an 11-25. You can always keep a spare 12-27 cassette for the hilly routes if you battle.

Guest Smimby

Does changing the cranks and chain rings require a whole new BB or does it just slot straight in?

I would either stay with FSA as per original spec, or change to Campy. Any input?

you don't need to change the cranks, you DO get 39/53 chainrings for a compact crank--just change the rings

Guest Smimby

Why would you need another rear mech?

Guest Smimby

BCD???

BOLT circle Diameter.....so just measure yours and see where you can find chainrings 39/53 with that BCD......

Check SheldonBrown's site you read more about how to measure and what BCD is