Campag / Shimano compatibility

Broker

Thanks All. Will rather not force my Campy tool into a Shimano lock. This is the trouble when you change groupsets...

I cannot find an American Classic freehub for the 11 speed Campag groupset. I know that shimano 10speed cluster worked well with the 10 speed campag groupset. Does anybody know if a 11 speed shimano cluster on a wheelset will work with 11 speed Campag groupset

unlike campy 11 speed, shimano 11 speed cassettes are wider to accomdate the extra gear. campy on the otherhand have narrower spacings between the cogs. therefore 9 speed, 10 speed and 11 speed all work on the same campy freebody. shimano 11 speed will not work on the 10 speed freebody as its too narrow. shimano have 11 speed specific hubs. i therefore doubt that the 11 speed shimano will work with the campy shifters.

yes, 11spd campag and shimano has the same indexing. 10 spd was not far off, so with fine tuning can be used.

Regarding the freebodies, you do know that 8, 9, 10 and 11spd campag uses the same freebody, but if you want to use an 11spd shimano cluster, you would need to source an 11spd freebody, as the 11spd cluster does not fit on the 10spd body?

yes, 11spd campag and shimano has the same indexing. 10 spd was not far off, so with fine tuning can be used.

leaned something today

Regarding the freebodies, you do know that 8, 9, 10 and 11spd campag uses the same freebody, but if you want to use an 11spd shimano cluster, you would need to source an 11spd freebody, as the 11spd cluster does not fit on the 10spd body?

8 Speed Campag is different.

unlike campy 11 speed, shimano 11 speed cassettes are wider to accomdate the extra gear. campy on the otherhand have narrower spacings between the cogs. therefore 9 speed, 10 speed and 11 speed all work on the same campy freebody. shimano 11 speed will not work on the 10 speed freebody as its too narrow. shimano have 11 speed specific hubs. i therefore doubt that the 11 speed shimano will work with the campy shifters.

Everything you say is correct, but Shimano only now increased their freebody size to the same size as campag, they caught up to campag only now and all 3 groupsets 11spd clusters has basically the same indexing, with only 0.05mm differance, maybe.

Are you serious that 10spd Campag groupset will work with 10spd Shimano hub and cassette?

As a campy owner this intrigues me

Yes works 100% you won't even feel a difference

8 Speed Campag is different.

Sorry, from 9 then, except, I think the freebody only changed from a profile with lower grooves, to a profile with deeper grooves, this was done to be able to use aluminium for the freebody. But I am not 100% certain on the 8 and 9 now and you are probably correct.

Yes works 100% you won't even feel a difference

except for the extra speed, that difference you will feel, because we all know campy components are much faster than shimano :clap:

Thanks All. Will rather not force my Campy tool into a Shimano lock. This is the trouble when you change groupsets...

I use the BBB tools which are'nt as expensive as Parktool or Lezyne. The chainwhip for Shimano is ok to use.

What I did for the lock-ring tool, is that I took a shimano tool that can insert quite deep and the I tapered the front part to fit into my campag lock-rings, works without a problem. the campag lock-ring use the same amount and spacing for those splines, the pitch diameter is just a bit smaller.

Edited by JA-Q001

I use the BBB tools which are'nt as expensive as Parktool or Lezyne. The chainwhip for Shimano is ok to use.

Thanks Cippo, I have the BBB Campy lockring tool but need a Shimano one now...

What I did for the lock-ring tool, is that I took a shimano tool that can insert quite deep and the I tapered the front part to fit into my campag lock-rings, works without a problem. the campag lock-ring use the same amount and spacing for those splines, the pitch diameter is just a bit smaller.

Thanks for this advice but I have the opposite problem. To be honest I have not tried the Campy tool on the Shimano lock ring yet but I wanted to change out my cluster this weekend, hence the question. I definitely don't want to damage the tool or the lock ring.

Sorry, from 9 then, except, I think the freebody only changed from a profile with lower grooves, to a profile with deeper grooves, this was done to be able to use aluminium for the freebody. But I am not 100% certain on the 8 and 9 now and you are probably correct.

Yes, you can actually put an 8 speed cassette on a 10 speed body, but apparently the body wont last long if you do that.