Cradle MTB route details

W1Z@RD

How did the ride go? Haven't done that route in a while...

An unexpected family visit occurred - I did a whopping 25km's of riding the entire Easter weekend! Was so bummed out. 

Nevertheless, that is still my intended ride for Sunday. You're welcome to join if you're up to it. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds correct. Ecept for the east bit, which I think is actually west, but other than that all good.

So, is it still left at the T-junction at Kloofzicht?

Is this the Cradle MTB route?

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Yup, correct as far as i understood it!

Weekends are generally hectic for me, but what time you riding Sunday?

Left at the circle at kloofzicht.

post-24416-0-47086600-1428563333_thumb.jpg

On the lft of this sign is where the route starts. Since this photo was taken, a stone structure was built and the route runs behind it, cross over the R114 and follow the route left towards the Rhino and Lion park circle.

at the circle, hit a right on the road (not sure if that bridge next to the road on the route has been installed. and look out for the track to resume on your right hand side.

An unexpected family visit occurred - I did a whopping 25km's of riding the entire Easter weekend! Was so bummed out. 

Nevertheless, that is still my intended ride for Sunday. You're welcome to join if you're up to it. 

Yup, I planned for a big ride on Easter Monday morning..

Drove 30 minutes to Heia Safari, MTB'd for 3km (10- 15 mins), burped my front tyre, couldnt get it sealed again, tried to used a tube instead, couldn't get the valve core out the rim, walked back to the car for 40 minutes, drove 30 minutes home

Yup, correct as far as i understood it!

Weekends are generally hectic for me, but what time you riding Sunday?

I'll probably be at Avianto by 06h00. No use going earlier as the trails only open then and it will probably still be a bit dark. 

I'll be there with my black Spez Camber, so if you're there, say hi. 

Hmm,

I'm getting senile cause i see I was venting my spleen on this topic already. But i do see that the trail is pretty overgrown and there hasn't been much development or maintenance on it. Which is actually pretty sad cause they could have done something more with it.

Maybe my standards are high cause there is actually some really nice single track in SA (albeit in the cape more than in Gauteng) so any trail builders should really pay attention to the build rather than just clear a path through the grass. My pet bugbear and a bit OT.

Same with Northern Farm - some really sublimely good sections and then they put in the new section - I think its called Enchanted Forest or something like that. I was less than enchanted when trying to ride it. All off camber, tightening apexes with n flow, berms or speed. the total antithesis of every other trail globally. You know its bad when you come away from a lap and you are just angry cause you havent been able to get any rhythm up. Contrast that to something like Welvanpas or the now defunct Tokai, which leave you with a grin from ear to ear when you are finished.

I wonder why we cant get this right (actually some have - Red Barn etc but few and far between). We could have soe much better riding... 

I'm going to park at Avianto, head North along the R114 to the T-junction with the R374 at Kloofzicht. Then get on the trail and head east WEST (left at the T-junction).  . 

As RnR said, west/left at Kloofzicht and then don't hold back on giggling with glee ^_^ ... that stretch till you get to the circle of the R540 is SO SWEET!!! :thumbup: 

Also the downhill  down to the M5/Beyers circle after you've climbed up the R540 , loads of fun.

before you head back to Avianto do the West loop of blue if you're up to it, it's awesome.

(just remember to contribute your 30 ZARs afterwards if you do.) 

As RnR said, west/left at Kloofzicht and then don't hold back on giggling with glee ^_^ ... that stretch till you get to the circle of the R540 is SO SWEET!!! :thumbup:

Also the downhill  down to the M5/Beyers circle after you've climbed up the R540 , loads of fun.

before you head back to Avianto do the West loop of blue if you're up to it, it's awesome.

(just remember to contribute your 30 ZARs afterwards if you do.) 

Aw man, just realised my epic brainfart, with the east/left confusion.  :oops:

Definitely giving it a bash this Sunday. Will have to see how much gas I have left in the tank when I get to Heia. Maybe just do the red route, to destroy the legs and then crawl back to Avianto. 

Definitely giving it a bash this Sunday. Will have to see how much gas I have left in the tank when I get to Heia. Maybe just do the red route, to destroy the legs and then crawl back to Avianto. 

I think Avianto's West Blue is a good second to Heia's Red... not as tough but a good workout.

The Camber will love it... then eat it up.... then spit it out ;)  

Edited by L.T.G

And ???

How'd you go? Completely forgot it was the USN event at Avianto, did you manage parking etc ok?

Did a super fun quick loop from Something Country.

The more I ride this cradle loop, the more I like it.

Granted it's got a teeny bit of overgrowth, but that's no train smash ,for now, hopefully it'll be sorted soon.  

I know this horse has long been beaten to a pulp, but in general the roadies and more so riders on tri bikes, are absolute kn*bs!!Riding up FOUR abreast!! :cursing:  I'm yet to see anyone on a MTB riding abreast, OUT of the cycle lane. Yes, there are fewer guys on them on the road but still...

I lost count as to how often I saw this today! worst was driving back towards Avianto from Something's side, a group of about 10 completely took up the entire left hand lane and didn't move at all when I approached.

There's no cycle lane at this point and that's all the MORE reason to ride in single file!

CLOWNS!

Annnywayyy..... rant over

Had a great morning otherwise!

post-6012-0-84292400-1428747552_thumb.jpg

post-6012-0-84458000-1428747562_thumb.jpg

post-6012-0-95758000-1428747571_thumb.jpg

Edited by L.T.G

Nice, L.T.G!

Did the Avianto 50km race this morning - had an absolute blast! Rode with a really strong group of riders. 

Doing my long ride tomorrow. I'm thinking of starting at Avianto, doing Phambili, then taking the Cradle MTB route to Heia and back to Avianto. 

Those roadies can be inconsiderate dicks - they are the guys that give cyclists a bad reputation with non-cyclists.

• 1 month later...

I encountered 2 sets of people riding the trail in the wrong direction this morning.

We only set out at about 10am.

It was not through ignorance as the riders left the trail so I could ride unhindered.

So, just a warning for others using the trail in the correct direction, specifically in blind corners, be mindful that you can encounter oncoming traffic at anytime, sadly.

Nevertheless I had lots of fun on the trail, but slabbing it back to sumthin country past valverde is ****. Even with the little dirt sections in between.

I encountered 2 sets of people riding the trail in the wrong direction this morning.

We only set out at about 10am.

It was not through ignorance as the riders left the trail so I could ride unhindered.

So, just a warning for others using the trail in the correct direction, specifically in blind corners, be mindful that you can encounter oncoming traffic at anytime, sadly.

Nevertheless I had lots of fun on the trail, but slabbing it back to sumthin country past valverde is ****. Even with the little dirt sections in between.

I've encountered this too... But no animosity at all, all encounters amicable.

• 1 month later...

Hi all. Anybody ridden the route recently. Thinking of riding it again a bit later this week whilst out in that area...