SuperR

My gearing for last year's 94.7 was 42x18. If I were you, I would stick to the 39 in front and look for a 17 or 18 for the rear.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Iv done a few races this year with my ss running 48/18....iv come in under 3.30 for all of them except this past weekends r4v where I spun out way to much and couldn't stay in the bunches....will be dropping to a 48/15 for amashova and going for a sub 3....its tons of fun and I love it! Never regreted no matter how bad the burn!

I run 46 x 15  in Herald 107km race.  You got to start ahead of the bunch on the tough hills, because if anyone buggers around in front of you and you loose your rhythm, you loose ground fast.   Done some Sat morning races....and gained lots of respect.

What gears did you ride last year's 947 in?

Iv done a few races this year with my ss running 48/18....iv come in under 3.30 for all of them except this past weekends r4v where I spun out way to much and couldn't stay in the bunches....will be dropping to a 48/15 for amashova and going for a sub 3....its tons of fun and I love it! Never regreted no matter how bad the burn!

post-12543-0-45117100-1443342019_thumb.jpg

Edited by wernerhp

What gears did you ride last year's 947 in?

I didn't do last year's...but I would think the 46-18 or 46-17 would be reasonable..all personal preference though..id rather die on the hills than get dropped on the flats.

Morning all. I to am planning a 94.7 on a SS road bike. My dilemma is the chain rings are five bolt with 39t and 53t And I'd like to keep this bike as original as possible. I realise that I will have to do some experimenting with sprocket Sizes to find what will work for best for me. What ratios should I be acquiring? Spanx in advance for your input. N

I would use the 53 and use a 20 at the back . This is the same gearing as a 42x16 which is a very comfortable gear on a road bike. Most important aspect to get right is the chain angle and tension.

I'm considering changing my 42-17 for a 42-16 this year. 17 spins out on the flats at around 38km/h, but I'm not sure how the climbs will be on a 16. I guess I'll have to just do it and then meditate on Rule #5.

I've done the London-cambridge on a SS. 46-17 gears. 90km undulating but no real hard climbs. Was tough but well worth it. Good luck.