Scott Spark 940 29" or Giant Anthem 29" ?

rackman

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's more a function of the shock itself though rather than the suspension design.

As I have had both I feel I can make that comment and I can fully justify this as indicated by me saying in my opinion = everyone likes different things about a bike and has different riding styles, I like complete lock out on climbs (I did epic on a hardtail last year and previously on the anthem.)

Edited by mtbDobby

Nice reply.

Do you think this holds true for the 650b versions of both bikes?

Unfortunately I have not ridden a 650b yet and cannot shed any light on this.

Not all of us. I want my rear suspension as hard as possible when climbing, my brain on my Epic is set to hardest. I hate pedal bob. Different strokes hey.

On TECHNICAL climbs. The bit of movement or squash actually gives the rear more traction.

On jeep track or fire road climbs, yeah - you need as little bob as possible. But when you're negotiating rocks, roots, ruts and so on, even a little bit of squish (in addition to a relatively low pressure in the tires) is a good thing as it helps the bike "bite" into the terrain instead of bouncing off it.

I agree that we have different requirements and / or likes, but the above rings true for all of us. Whether we like it or not is our preference.

I run my Anthem X1 suspension (shock and fork) fully open, permanently. I weigh 94kg, and I'm 1.98m tall. I tried playing with the CTD, but honestly, that Maestro just does what I need. I run the shock at 210psi, and the fork at 120psi. Tyre pressure is also key.

The only time I ever get pedal bob is if I stand and pedal (also talking non technical climbs here). So I just sit instead. :-)

In summary, the Anthem is a fantastic machine. You won't be sorry.

Scott all the way. no argument.

i way 106 and im on the scott scale 940. no problem with the wheels. but also that why i have insurance, so if i ever fold them i get them replaced! (happened on my 1st scott with alex rims on)

have 3 mates on the spark and they swear by it. especially now that they have the fox float shock instead of the dt swiss as on the older models.

giants are good bikes. but i think the scotts design and geometry just gives it that lil more

Both bikes have Fox CTD so if you want it hard just flick the lever. But with the shock open I find the Giant to have less bob than the Scott. With my Spark I used the Twinlock lever quite often, with the Anthem I just leave it in "Trail" all day long.

On TECHNICAL climbs. The bit of movement or squash actually gives the rear more traction.

On jeep track or fire road climbs, yeah - you need as little bob as possible. But when you're negotiating rocks, roots, ruts and so on, even a little bit of squish (in addition to a relatively low pressure in the tires) is a good thing as it helps the bike "bite" into the terrain instead of bouncing off it.

I agree that we have different requirements and / or likes, but the above rings true for all of us. Whether we like it or not is our preference.

I totally agree with this, at Hakahana's black route, the travel of the shock at the back helps alot with the rocky climbs there. The guys on the hardtails had to walk some sections, where I rode them. It just makes sense to have squish and not bounce off rocks.

I have the Anthem X1 and my mate has the Scott Spark, from my point of view the Anthem kills the Scott on single track and trails its also a good climber the bike not me. Just an observation from me you see quite a lot of Scotts for sale but Giants seem to be kept a lot longer and hold value a little better.

I must say I have changed the brakes to XT and wheel set to ZTR with Hope Hubs also replaced the chain rings and rear cas to XT. I am very happy

I've heard previous bad reviews on the FOX fork (Fox 32 Float RL CTD Evolution) coming standard on both Spark and Anthem. It did however seem to relate to 2013 models (?)

Earlier versions of the Anthem came with the FOX CTD shock and RS Reba fork - some say that set-up was much better than dual FOX...

How do you Anthem and Spark owners rate the FOX fork (is 2014 model better)?

Wow thanks guys for your feedback!

Funny, I was leaning towards the Spark 940 as the 2014 model now has the Nude 2 FOX Nude shock & also the Twinloc Lever System which appears to be a good feature where you can control your front & rear shock from the handle bar lever.

The other point was that the rear shock on the Spark is located at the top whereas the Giant Anthem is near the BB which I being a novice to mtb would have thought would attract more muck/damage?

Sounds like the design of the Giant gives you a better ride.

Hmmmm I suppose it depends on what I can get a Giant Anthem for.

Edited by rackman

Wow thanks guys for your feedback!

Funny, I was leaning towards the Spark 940 as the 2014 model now has the Nude 2 shock & also the Twinloc Lever System which appears to be a good feature where you can control your front & rear shock from the handle bar lever.

The other point was that the rear shock on the Spark is located at the top whereas the Giant Anthem is near the BB which I being a novice to mtb would have thought would attract more muck/damage?

Sounds like the design of the Giant gives you a better ride.

Hmmmm I suppose it depends on what I can get a Giant Anthem for.

EISH. No, boss. Not anything DT Swiss for shocks, thanks. Me no likey. They've had countless problems with the original Nude shocks, so like the FOX CTD forks, I'd give it a clear birth until they've ironed out the issues and released the next gen option. Fox shocks (rear) are just so much better.

As for the CTD forks - 2014 is better than 2013 for sure. And Fox are offering upgrade packs for all those with 2013 / 14 internals, to take them up to the 2015 versions.

As for muck and damage on the shock - not really, eh. They're both protected by the seat tube. But - the major thing is that the Maestro suspension design is "better" than the scott's design. It really is. Plus the Giant is infinitely more capable, and an all round better machine.

EISH. No, boss. Not anything DT Swiss for shocks, thanks. Me no likey. They've had countless problems with the original Nude shocks, so like the FOX CTD forks, I'd give it a clear birth until they've ironed out the issues and released the next gen option. Fox shocks (rear) are just so much better.

As for the CTD forks - 2014 is better than 2013 for sure. And Fox are offering upgrade packs for all those with 2013 / 14 internals, to take them up to the 2015 versions.

As for muck and damage on the shock - not really, eh. They're both protected by the seat tube. But - the major thing is that the Maestro suspension design is "better" than the scott's design. It really is. Plus the Giant is infinitely more capable, and an all round better machine.

the 2013/2014 bikes has the fox shocks. the early 2013/2012 has that *** dt swiss one.

maybe better. but the giant is just an awkward looking bike. on coolness scott wins hehehe :ph34r: :whistling:

the 2013/2014 bikes has the fox shocks. the early 2013/2012 has that *** dt swiss one.

maybe better. but the giant is just an awkward looking bike. on coolness scott wins hehehe :ph34r: :whistling:

2014 model of the one he's looking at has the Nude 2. YUK!

I'll agree that the Scott looks better, but the Giant is the better bike.