Scott

Apemanscolony

Just wondering how many people have problems with the Scott Sparks.

I had problems with the shocks, rear and front.

The BB gets worn out, in other words the frame wears out.

Its a awesome bike, and rides like a dream.

Scott have exchanged my frame x 3 times, with no issues, and the 4th one is on the way.

Whats the hubs thoughts?

Shocks stuffed again, but is it worth it to put Rp23 with CTD on and front schock with CTD to remove lockout lever(broke 2 and ist pricey to replace)

Just wondering how many people have problems with the Scott Sparks.

I had problems with the shocks, rear and front.

The BB gets worn out, in other words the frame wears out.

Its a awesome bike, and rides like a dream.

Scott have exchanged my frame x 3 times, with no issues, and the 4th one is on the way.

Whats the hubs thoughts?

Shocks stuffed again, but is it worth it to put Rp23 with CTD on and front schock with CTD to remove lockout lever(broke 2 and ist pricey to replace)

Shocks can have issues and BBs wear out.

Why were the frames replaced?

Do a search on the Rant and Rave section and you will see the number of

unhappy Spark owners. There are at least 4 threads that have plenty of

complaints.

It just blows my mind how many people ignor these complaints and still buy

these bikes.

Your frame has been replaced 4 times. That is insane, it speaks volumes for

the quality of the product. Sounds good, getting a newer model frame each time.

What happens when the warranty runs out? Considering all the problems, Scott should have a recall and supply owners with a better product.

Shock problems aren't really faults of Scott, but rather the shock supplier.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/126858-scott-spark-29-elite-frame-cracked-2-times/page__hl__scott+spark

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/130412-scott-and-pro-bike-very-dissapointing/page__st__48__hl__scott%20spark#entry2049445

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/135538-ive-scott-a-problem/page__hl__scott+spark

Edited by Eugene

Shocks can have issues and BBs wear out.

'The BB gets worn out, in other words the frame wears out.' - since my life I have not heard such a thing :eek:

My 2013 Spark 920 is in the shop for its first issue as we speak. The shock lost pressure after a muddy race over the weekend. And a rather sinister creak has started to develop, sounds like a pivot point.

'The BB gets worn out, in other words the frame wears out.' - since my life I have not heard such a thing :eek:

I'm talking about the bearing in the bottom bracket. I have know idea if this is what the OP means

I'm talking about the bearing in the bottom bracket. I have know idea if this is what the OP means

No worries I understood what you were saying but like you not what the OP meant ....

My 2013 Spark 920 is in the shop for its first issue as we speak. The shock lost pressure after a muddy race over the weekend. And a rather sinister creak has started to develop, sounds like a pivot point.

I read somewhere, can't remember where, that the problem with these Scott's is owneres not servicing and maintaining the pivot points.

Over time they get gunked up with mud and dirt and slowly stop working properly which stresses th frame and then SNAP.

Just saying, check it out.

As for worn BB, might be incorrect instalation which damages the frame but a LBS should know what they are doing when assembling a bike.

Are these not maintenance related issues?

Unless it's a fault in their customized shocks

Sister in law is also having trouble with her 2012 Spark 30 rear shock

Keeps going flat - had it repaired (out of warranty) with new seals - a year later - same issue ... seals have gone ... Asked the LBS (where I used to work - and where we got the bike from - and who had it sorted out before) to sort it out - again not under warranty - another R1500 ....

Come on Scott / DT Swiss - sort your shocks out

Oh and the Front remote lockout keeps on sticking too ended up just removing the cable as I replaced it twice and serviced the compression adjust cap on the fork ... Still sticks!

... Oh and BB30 ... is CRAAAP!!!

Love my Scott too. Got my new Contessa a week before W2W last year and enjoyed trouble free cycling ever since.

I read somewhere, can't remember where, that the problem with these Scott's is owneres not servicing and maintaining the pivot points.

Over time they get gunked up with mud and dirt and slowly stop working properly which stresses th frame and then SNAP.

Just saying, check it out.

As for worn BB, might be incorrect instalation which damages the frame but a LBS should know what they are doing when assembling a bike.

It might well be the case that I have not maintained the pivot points like I should have. I clean the bike properly with a bucket and a sponge after every longer ride I do though. Any pointers on what else I should be doing to keep these pivots happy? I've only had the bike for about 6 months now (bought new), did not expect suspension problems this soon.

It might well be the case that I have not maintained the pivot points like I should have. I clean the bike properly with a bucket and a sponge after every longer ride I do though. Any pointers on what else I should be doing to keep these pivots happy? I've only had the bike for about 6 months now (bought new), did not expect suspension problems this soon.

Regular maintenance/greasing of the pivot points.

6 months can be a LONG time, depends on how much you ride and in what conditions

I am not sure about the service intervals for a DT Swiss shock but on my Trance I have a RP23. I deflate and remove this from the bike every month or so to do its aircan service and with the shock and rear wheel removed you should be able to run your rear triangle section though its range of motion and listen as well as 'feel' if there is any 'crunching' sounds (like sand) in the bearing or if any have seized etc. On the bearings on the Trance you can gently remove the seal from the bearing and clean and regrease them.

I have also read that suspension bearings need to be 'rotated' periodically so they dont form flat spots as the bearing doesnt actually do a full 360 degree rotation when in use (the same applies to your headset as well apparently).

Edited by Mojoman

I am not sure about the service intervals for a DT Swiss shock but on my Trance I have a RP23. I deflate and remove this from the bike every month or so to do its aircan service and with the shock and rear wheel removed you should be able to run your rear triangle section though its range of motion and listen as well as 'feel' if there is any 'crunching' sounds (like sand) in the bearing or if any have seized etc. On the bearings on the Trance you can gently remove the seal from the bearing and clean and regrease them.

I have also read that suspension bearings need to be 'rotated' periodically so they dont form flat spots as the bearing doesnt actually do a full 360 degree rotation when in use (the same applies to your headset as well apparently).

I ride in any conditions,, dry, wet, volcanic eruption, mudflow, nuclear fallout. I'm just afraid I cause more damage than good opening up things up that are supposed to be sealed. Those are very useful point you mention though. For the amount I ride it probably makes sense for me to do something similar. I just find it hard to justify the costs of sending the shock in for a service, and then there's the time without a bike to ride.

Thanks for the tips.