Gumtree to good to be true?

Meezo

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I lost a Stumpjumper Expert sold on Gumtree due to an EFT scam in January 2014, which was reported to the police at the same time at.

The bike appeared on Gumtree Wednesday 14th May and I immediately called to arrange the purchase of the bike and recognised the voice of the seller and then realised they were using similar names and different cell numbers to arrange the meeting at UWC.

Whilst on my way to UWC to meet James with a detective I called to confirm my ETA and he promptly informed me the bike has been sold and he has the cash. He allowed me to speak to the buyer Gershwin who said the bike was paid for and is sending it to Johannesburg and is not interested in selling it even for a higher price. I assumed they got nervous and may have recognised my number from the sale in January 2014. So I was left disappointed that I failed to recover my bike.

The next day Thursday 15th in the morning an SW Tarmac is posted on Gumtree, and noted the picture was taken in the same room as where my Stumpumper was photographed. So I immediately called from a new number and spoke to Paul who referred me to his brother Sampson who had the same mobile number as James the day before. We made an appointment to meet at 13:30 at UWC. Again I went to the meeting with a detective to the gates of the University. I had to make a number of calls as Sampson was late, probably intentionally so he could check who the buyer was. I had to make the calls from the detectives mobile and disguise my voice so they could not link me to previous conversations.

Sampson eventually appeared riding the SW Tarmac, as he was approached by the detective he dropped the bike and ran, a chase ensued and tried to board a passing taxi without success. He was caught by the detective and taken into police custody for a court appearance on Monday. Sampson 25yrs old is not his real name he is not a student at UWC. The bike is with the police, we traced the bike dealerpost-59373-0-57612800-1400201623_thumb.jpg that sold the bike and they will try and contact the purchaser to assist with further investigation.

I hope during the investigation my bike is found and the sindicate is prosecuted, and we can happly trade and ride bicycles again.

Nice work.

Please please keep us informed of this.

My blood is boiling again! :angry:

You guys are such skeptics, the poor dude needs the cash to pay for his full frontal lobotomy. Looks legit to me :lol: :whistling:

I think he rather needs the cash to pay for the full bottle in front of him...

Edited by koukie

So is it sold then? I've got cash waiting.

Just kidding. Great work by you and SAPS, hopefully they can spread the net from this one guy and catch a few more of the b*stds.

Awww yeah great work laddy :thumbup: hope the synidcate is caught! Let those sucker sit in a cell!

I think this might make it a legitimate sale: "Current saddle hight middle of bb to top of saddle is 73cm. Can be raised a further 3cm"

​But then again he could've copied it from anywhere on the web.

So I'll pass

I think this might make it a legitimate sale: "Current saddle hight middle of bb to top of saddle is 73cm. Can be raised a further 3cm"

​But then again he could've copied it from anywhere on the web.

So I'll pass

Frame retails for 5k?

Hi Gumtreers

Just an update on this weekends proceedings.

The police have now most of the syndicate members in jail this weekend. The Goodwood cops located my Specilaized Stumjumper Expert, this weekend in Durbanville, which a buyer bought from the syndicate last Wednesday. The bike ID numbers were removed but I was able to identify it from other custom changes made.

The detective work from the Goodwood fraud squad was very professional and exceeded my expectations. Well done SAP!

We are still looking for the owner of the SW Tarmac that I arranged to buy from the syndicate on Thursday. The bike was purchased from Olympic Cycles early last year, and they are trying to trace the customer.

Any help to locate the owner will be welcome .

Picture attached.

post-59373-0-86449600-1400437706_thumb.jpg

Hi Gumtreers

Just an update on this weekends proceedings.

The police have now most of the syndicate members in jail this weekend. The Goodwood cops located my Specilaized Stumjumper Expert, this weekend in Durbanville, which a buyer bought from the syndicate last Wednesday. The bike ID numbers were removed but I was able to identify it from other custom changes made.

The detective work from the Goodwood fraud squad was very professional and exceeded my expectations. Well done SAP!

We are still looking for the owner of the SW Tarmac that I arranged to buy from the syndicate on Thursday. The bike was purchased from Olympic Cycles early last year, and they are trying to trace the customer.

Any help to locate the owner will be welcome .

Picture attached.

Good citizenship and good detective work... almost unheard of in the new SA. Gives all of us that haven't left for Aus or Canada hope hey. Now lets hope that the prosecution do their job thoroughly.

Great work.!

Hopefully the first steps to addressing thefts and bike-jackings.

Has Olympic been approached regarding the purchaser of the bike.?

Unlikely that it would be a complete stranger ...

Edited by Thomo