USN Mountain bike race - Event 4

ycowley

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not often you get to ride a race where more than 80% of the route is singletrack. I enjoyed it, was a good day out.

I'm not phased about goodie bags at all as they are pretty useless most of the time, but I found it funny that you get USN products in most of the other races' goodie bags but not in the their own race. Just thought it was rather peculiar.

I was also blown away by the amount of singletrack in the veld opposite red barn. Some really cool trails. Pitty it's not that safe to ride there. Are there any big group rides that go through that area regularly?

I've got about another two to Three hours of riding outside the barn of similar track. If you are interested in outrides leave your contact details and sas batch no on the the big red barn website and I can arrange group outrides for different levels

I've got about another two to Three hours of riding outside the barn of similar track. If you are interested in outrides leave your contact details and sas batch no on the the big red barn website and I can arrange group outrides for different levels

• 1 year later...

Enjoyed the trails...best jhb can do i guess i just tried not to look around me at the burnt veld. cry for my pretty cape town. I also find it weird that usn doesnt give gift bags!

I think it was an awesome race and the trails where LOTS of fun. Just wish I got a better seeding as I got caught a lot behind slower riders inside the barn grounds once we crossed the road on the 50km route.

Skills development I think still a problem as there was not much room to pass (Had to bundu bash a few times) and some riders seem to cut their speed by 75% when going into slightly more tech sections but I will hopefully get better seeding next time which will solve the problem.

Overall very well organised race and although no goodie bag the race was the reward in itself.

my wife and i rode the 50km batches where to big get held up a lot in the first 15km. we went off with D

also half of E batch just went with D batch, they should separate the batches better.

would rather pay the R40 to ride at red barn instead of R195 for the race... 

What a well organized race - good batching, awesome marshalling, and well-marked & great trails.  Really enjoyed the day's riding, as my race was ruined by flatting both tyres and having to plug one in the end.  Couldn't spoil a lekker day out, tho.

I am not too fussed by the goodie bags but do find it a bit odd that USN plugs their stuff at every other big race but not their own series?  I would think that the shorter USN races are PERFECT to capture new customers that have never used a goo, caffeine goo (vooma) or bottle mix (eg enduro).

To the afrikaans guy with flu on the cannondale that helped my out with plugging my rear tyre - BAIE DANKIE!

Not often you get to ride a race where more than 80% of the route is singletrack. I enjoyed it, was a good day out.

I'm not phased about goodie bags at all as they are pretty useless most of the time, but I found it funny that you get USN products in most of the other races' goodie bags but not in the their own race. Just thought it was rather peculiar.

I was also blown away by the amount of singletrack in the veld opposite red barn. Some really cool trails. Pitty it's not that safe to ride there. Are there any big group rides that go through that area regularly?

there is an organised group outride, specifically for the trails used in the race. On Youth Day, 16th June at 8am. 

https://www.facebook.com/events/1432266493762429/

was the first time I rode at big red, and it was one of the mosts enjoyable 50k's I did in a long time. Just found the entry (R250 late, R195 pre) a bit steep, with just usn products at water points, no water. But all in all I would recommend it.

Archived