Camelbak/ Hydration pack options

Andy_Mills

You can't go wrong between the Dakine or the Camelbak. I have the 2lt Lobo and a 3lt Mule. I use the Mule mainly for the packing space. It isn't always about the distance ridden but rather the time. XC race snakes will opt for a bottle and Lycra. If you are more into the trail type riding where you may not cover a marathon distance but be out for a few hours, a hydration pack with packing space and baggies is for you. Place for tools, jackets, pads, food, drink etc and a place to clip your full face if you do enduro (which makes your pack Enduro Specific... :ph34r: )

Listen to both camps and decide which one suits you. There is no wrong or right choice. A cheaper one will not perform or last like a more expensive item. Remember that you get what you pay for.

Oh and stay away from the Dunlop ones from Game........

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 40+km rides I use my Antidote and a bottle. The water bottle to keep my head cool, and squirting the sweat out the eyes. I tend to heat up first through my head - they say it happens especially when there is very little matter between the ears (or was that too much...)!

I used two small bottles in the back pockets before the Camelback. There were numerous close calls on singletrack when I needed water and had to fiddle around for them.

That's just me- see what works for you.

I have a Dakine Session 8L which is nice for normal training and trail rides. I pack a whole lot of spares in it as well as 2L of hydration, snacks and a rain jacket.

I also have a Dakine Amp 25L, which is awesome. I use it on very long rides, where I pack lunch, extra clothing, and I can put our lights and batteries in the bag as the sun rises. We do most of these rides in the Karoo, so there is no Vida or some foody-hangout where we can have something to eat. Plus the heavy backpack give me more of a workout while I ride with my wife.

I have used a Camelbak Lobo for years and it has plenty of storage space which is great on the mountain. I do some trail running as well and find it bounces around a bit much for running so I've recently bought a Camelbak Octane XCT which is much better from that perspective. II might start using that for cycling as well as it should have enough space for the basics.

Quality wise the Camelbaks are incredible so I will always stick with them - rather pay the extra now and then you don't have to worry about it again for years.

Some hate them some love them, i have 2, 1.5L and 3L, seldom use the 3L but when i do i put all the tools and spares from my saddlebag (gasp yes i do ride with one) and leave it at home.

I am glad there quite a few people who (admit to) take their backpack on every ride, short as it may be. I feel a bit stupid with my backpack - with all its *** but no water on a short ride when I use a bottle. Never know when you may need a space blanket, toilet paper, sunscreen, specs, gear cable, cable ties etc etc.

So that would be a pushbike then? :)

Put the bottle in your cycling shirt pocket.... wait... something wrong here....

I do often push the monster yes :)

I do most of my after-work rides with just a bottle in my shirt because I dont have a need for tools and I dont go that far either.

Edited by hayleyearth

I don't have any bottle cages cramping my frame style,only use my Mule so don't need to carry anything but that,but if you are stressed about weight then look at lighter options. I'm not a weight weenie so I could not be stressed about how much it weighs.

I saw that the other day at CWC. It's a VERY nice piece of kit....

Ja, I got offered a very good deal on it. Chuffed!

Not sure having a bottle in the back of your shirt is more comfortable than having a backpack on.

Luckily we're all different.

Agree on the Dakine or Camelbak options.

I prefer to have space to carry more than just water and I like to have my bike as free of attached stuff as possible.