Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I would run out and get one now, but I am busy washing my hair.

Had a look online too. Some dealers are offering the base model for 14.995 plus you get a 500 quid Ducati voucher. With a 4 year warranty. 

15 grand at todays rate is about 340k. So quite a bit cheaper in ZA. Our vat rate is 20 percent but still a large difference. 

Just now, IceCreamMan said:

Had a look online too. Some dealers are offering the base model for 14.995 plus you get a 500 quid Ducati voucher. With a 4 year warranty. 

15 grand at todays rate is about 340k. So quite a bit cheaper in ZA. Our vat rate is 20 percent but still a large difference. 

Maybe the discount us poor Africans in the same way I understand (I could be wrong) that Harley discount their brand in SA.

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

would seriously not mind riding a bike through Switzerland!

We spent 3 weeks there on holiday. My brother in law lives there. Beautiful and awesome mountain passes. 

On 9/11/2023 at 3:28 PM, WaynejG said:

We spent 3 weeks there on holiday. My brother in law lives there. Beautiful and awesome mountain passes. 

If you do get to sample the mountain passes in Switzerland, mind the speed limits....

1 hour ago, i24 said:

If you do get to sample the mountain passes in Switzerland, mind the speed limits....

My brother in law was telling me the fines are linked to how much you earn. The higher the salary the steeper the fine. You going to feel it.

Well there we go - in all it's odd blue front mudguard glory.  It's actually been quite fun just slowly getting things back to standard without going overboard.  And the nice thing is that with genuine Yamaha parts everything fits perfectly.  I do however have a whole margarine container of odd bolts, roof washers and Walmart screws - perfect for my spares tin.

The only thing I need to do now is just try and clean up the Yoshi silencer - I was told it was a full system but clearly it's been cobbled together with crap welding.  Other than that, time now to enjoy it!

20230910_135402.jpg

20230910_135413.jpg

Took the XTZ to work on Friday - a nice 140km round trip from Pta to Krugersdorp.  I got to experience a little bit of why big trail bikes are so popular - you sit nice and high in the traffic and even though they are big and heavy you still get to filter through traffic easily.  Well easier than the TRX.

The 660 is not going to win any races - it's very comfortable at 100kph but you can't get past the fact that it's almost 200kg - so acceleration is fairly leisurely.  But for a 29yo dirt bike it's very solid.  Nice and smooth and winds hardly affect it.  The previous owner fitted some MITAS Enduro trail tyres which I believe are very good off-road.  They didn't feel too bad, but are noisy as hell.  My offroad riding is going to be limited to gravel roads so I will probably change them in time for something a bit less aggressive.

Other than that, it's a typical Yamaha from the 90's - feels like it's going to run forever.

I'm really looking forward to November when I use it on the Fairest Cape - we're based in Rawsonville and apparently the roads they take us on are beautiful.  The 70kph speed group might be a bit slow but I'm riding behind my Dad on an old Velocette so I'll just have to chill!

Seems like every Thursday when I do a loop of sites it rains.

This week I added in a Franschhoek stop, so the loop was on the 250km mark.

Now, even though it was raining, and a bit windy in places, this was one of the best rides out yet. The light through the clouds, colour of the sea, scents of Table Mountain / fynboss along the coast/winelands area .... what a great day out on the bike.

Stopped for a "warm me up coffee" at Freedom 301 ... when I arrived there were only 3 people there, but very quickly started to fill up. When leaving I noticed I was the only bike in the parking lot :)

I do need to start stopping along the ride and taking pics, but when I am moving I do not want to stop.

image.jpeg.83994c29d395e942e1c2d868884746b7.jpeg

10 hours ago, Hairy said:

Seems like every Thursday when I do a loop of sites it rains.

This week I added in a Franschhoek stop, so the loop was on the 250km mark.

Now, even though it was raining, and a bit windy in places, this was one of the best rides out yet. The light through the clouds, colour of the sea, scents of Table Mountain / fynboss along the coast/winelands area .... what a great day out on the bike.

Stopped for a "warm me up coffee" at Freedom 301 ... when I arrived there were only 3 people there, but very quickly started to fill up. When leaving I noticed I was the only bike in the parking lot :)

I do need to start stopping along the ride and taking pics, but when I am moving I do not want to stop.

image.jpeg.83994c29d395e942e1c2d868884746b7.jpeg

I have had those rides as well, cruising, thinking about the cool pics, but the thought of breaking the rhythm of the ride with photos is counterproductive. 
Flipside is to make the time, enjoy the stops and take the photos.

That route looks like you would have accidentally set the camera off, and still have gotten good photos. 
next week this time, I’m in Montagu for the first evening of an epic bike trip. Will be taking photos and definitely posting a RR on wilddogs.