Sabie Experience 2014

KENDA

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Almost time to start monitoring the weather!

Agree.......but also looking out for seriuuuuus mud tyres, especially rear tyre. Maxxis Crossmark did not do that well with Magoebaskloof. Want a little more grip in the mud. Any recommendations?

Agree.......but also looking out for seriuuuuus mud tyres, especially rear tyre. Maxxis Crossmark did not do that well with Magoebaskloof. Want a little more grip in the mud. Any recommendations?

Spez Purgatory front and Spez Ground control rear or Maxxi Ardents front and rear. I've done Sabie with both combinations and whilst they worked well I found on this year's Sabie Classic it did not matter what tyre you had on you had to carry your bike on certain sections. Another must is a front mudguard.

Spez Purgatory front and Spez Ground control rear or Maxxi Ardents front and rear. I've done Sabie with both combinations and whilst they worked well I found on this year's Sabie Classic it did not matter what tyre you had on you had to carry your bike on certain sections. Another must is a front mudguard.

Appreciated.........but the mudguard???? I am not going fast enough for it to be a problem  :whistling:  :blush:

On Sabie Classic riding on the jeep track sounded like you were riding over bubble wrap and even at 20km/h you had mud flicking in your eyes. Glasses only lasted for an hour, Sabie has it's own special type of mud.

Oh, as for the tyres, the Spez are actually cheaper than the Maxxis, go figure!

And mind the green stuff! If you see green stuff on the ground, go straight and don't brake .... it's SabieSnot.

I had the Spez Ground Control up front and the Fast Track on the rear for both the Xperience and Classic. Might even have had Fast Tracks front and rear for the Classic (can't remember when I changed them :mellow:). Had a few wash outs at low speed (luckily) at the Classic, whilst I remained on the bike for the whole Xperience. So get more grip on the front to prevent the wash outs and enjoy the moments your tail slides! Seriously jealous of julle mense...

Oh, and I'd also go for a mud guard, that would've made a huge difference at the Classic. My eyes are still hurting :eek:

Looking forward to the race this weekend. Looks like quite a bit of rain on Saturday and then slowly clearing!

Is everybody ready for the race or going to use the prologue as their training session? :-)

This caught me eye today... will be interesting in the rain!!

1. We have recently spent a few days building a "Long Drop Ulusaba" - a steep 30% gradient 10m drop-off through an old erosion donga approximately 2km from the finish line. You need serious "goolies" to ride this one, but it will give you a 1,0km advantage over the riders who take the Chicken Run. Take note - no walking will be permitted through the "longdrop", so your choice will have to be made at the split. No going back! 

This caught me eye today... will be interesting in the rain!!

1. We have recently spent a few days building a "Long Drop Ulusaba" - a steep 30% gradient 10m drop-off through an old erosion donga approximately 2km from the finish line. You need serious "goolies" to ride this one, but it will give you a 1,0km advantage over the riders who take the Chicken Run. Take note - no walking will be permitted through the "longdrop", so your choice will have to be made at the split. No going back! 

Last year we had the Bull Run drop off within the first 5 kms of the prologue which was quite a challenge for many. I wonder how the Ulusaba compares, for what it's worth my avatar was taken on the Bull Run.

Archived