Sabie Experience 2014

KENDA

It's a great race, I just don't seem to have much luck in sabie..fell off and broke my coccyx last year.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those of you that rode, please tell us what the route is like - give us a rating of FUN vs. HARD vs. TECHNICAL or summink...was it LEKKER?

Early bird last year was R2200 IIRC. Goody bag had cycling shirt, t shirt, water bottles, soaps and gels and noodles etc in as well as a nice tog bag. Still pretty much the cheapest stage race with great routes and vibe. If I had the money I'd go again (and NOT eat the ******* chicken pizza)

Would you rank it with the likes of Sani? I know the routes around Sabie pretty well, and they are amongst the best, but is the support and all the periphery similar?

Those of you that rode, please tell us what the route is like - give us a rating of FUN vs. HARD vs. TECHNICAL or summink...was it LEKKER?

Day 1 - Fun. TT starting in reverse order so there is some traffic.

Day 2 - Fun and easy. Short stage.

Day 3 & 4 - Going up the mamba on day 3 and another big climb on day 4 so it tough but not as tough as MTN Marathon as stages are about 10km shorter.

I haven't done the Sani yet, have seen the trails though (by Jeep lol) and yeah, Sani seems 'groomed'. I'll echo what Johan said above - the trails are good to great, every year there are new trails and new surprises, last year's 'singletrack forever' was definitely a highlight. Some proper climbing, but also not enough to kill you, with aroun 650m on day 1's 35km, 1000m on day 2's 45km and 1600-1800 on day 3 and 4's 65km. 

The vibe at the race is awesome, lots of people taking it easier than normal and thus a much more informal atmosphere. Water tables are good (fruits and banana bread and sweets and drinks - water, usn and coke IIRC) and the free lunch after the ride is also pretty decent - cold meats and cheese sandwiches mostly, plus a drink or two. My only gripe is accommodation - it'snot part of the race package so you need to find your own, and in Sabie you have basically three choices: Camping with so-so facilities, 1.5 star lodges that think they are 3 and 4 star and charge accordingly, or proper posh 4 and 5 star places that cost the same as your bike for the weekend.I normally go camping at sabie River Camp, it's probably the least of all the evils since they sorted out their security fence issues of a few years back. Also cycling distance from the start/finish at Floreat.

I haven't done the Sani yet, have seen the trails though (by Jeep lol) and yeah, Sani seems 'groomed'. I'll echo what Johan said above - the trails are good to great,

Thanks for the info... u right about the accomodation... some lodges charge the same as a Hilton Hotel in Central Park!!!

• 1 month later...

Training on par with last year's training.

But have done a number of marathons this year; last year none prior to Sabie. So should be in better shape.

Looking forward to do the 3 days (Team wannabe).

Less than a month to go. Everyone's training up to date?

Nope......with all this rain currently in Gauteng. So from tomorrow it will be a 45min sessions at 250-300W on stationary bike...........every day (FAAAAAAARK).

No electronic braking fancy stuff......pure old school pedal against resistance using one of these

post-41755-0-19287200-1416245510_thumb.jpg

Nope......with all this rain currently in Gauteng. So from tomorrow it will be a 45min sessions at 250-300W on stationary bike...........every day (FAAAAAAARK).

No electronic braking fancy stuff......pure old school pedal against resistance using one of these

attachicon.gifcbe9caa6_00a31703_7892_49d1_9cac_303ed105d7b6.jpg

Breedtsnek remains an options. Did a ride there yesterday and was surprised how dry the road surface was. Lots of pools of water next to the road - but road itself in good condition.

In for the Solo X, my 4th one and man am I looking forward to it. No 94.7 traffic, no bottlenecks. Just sublime trails and clean forest air, but beware of the rain and a wet Rocky Horror descent!

Hi all nice to see this thread come up. I have entered this one doing the solox ,combining with a family holiday camping at Mary pebbles. Haven't been doing much training lately so I better get to it.

Also.might be doing the camping thing at MP........

Anyone got some route PROFILES to share? Climbing distance and elevation stuff.

My friend Google still need to deliver information.

From Last Year

Stage 1 32km 634m climbing.

Stage 2 48 km 1114m, save your legs for the last 8km it's a lot tougher than you think.

Stage 4 58km 1437m which includes the dreaded mamba switchbacks 3,5k climb at an average 10%.

There was no stage 3 last year but it looks like we are doing the equivalent of Stage 4 from two years ago up to Hartebeestvlakte and these are the stats: 62km 1444m climbing. The feature for me of this stage is how you climb out of the forest and over the escarpment to about 1900m and I saw a Hartebees.

Archived