How to follow a cycle route using modern technology?

SwissVan

So... I want to follow a particular route that I have never ridden before without having to use paper maps and directions.

In other words to download from the net and use either my Garmin egde500 (old model) or iphone4 to provide the directions and instructions while I'm riding....

Searching the net I've found the route listed on Map my ride and Strava, neither of which I'm registered with yet. Before I register I'd like to hear how exactly does one do this and which is better and most user friendly?

Thanks

I got this off a faq somewhere a while back but kept a note of it......

1. Our guide has been produced with reference to GPSies track creator – other mapping tools may not offer the same level of functionality or end results.

2. Find an online mapping tool capable of plotting a route with course points or waypoints and with the option to download the generated route as a TCX file. We have used GPSies track creator for this guide – not all mapping sites offer waypoints and TCX downloads (both are needed for turn directions). Visit our GPSies page and other mapping tool pages to learn how to plot a ride with waypoints (Ride with GPS is an excellent alternative).

3. Map out your route ensuring that waypoints are added at appropriate junctions (waypoints are effectively a means of embedding a direction into a route).

4. Connect your Garmin Edge 500 to your PC via the USB cable.

5. Download or export your route as a TCX file. Where the option to export the TCX direct to your Garmin Edge 500 is available then select this (skip to 7). Where this option is not available then download your route to your PC as a TCX file.

6. Open the Garmin folders and locate the folder named ‘New Files’

7. Copy the TCX file from your PC to the ‘New Files’ folder

8. Disconnect your Edge 500 (where necessary using the ‘safely remove hardware’ option) and turn it on – the route will now appear as a course in your course list.

9. Select the course – you will now be able to scroll between the data (eg speed etc), virtual partner, course (this is the breadcrumb trail screen) and cue card screens.

Once started you will be notified when you arrive at the start of your course.

Correction, was not off a garmin faq, got the info from here http://velogps.com/garmin-edge-500-turn-turn-directions-courses/

Edit: added link

Edited by shaper

I long removed the standard Garmin web site that "came" with my E500 from my computer, what is the garmin site called now days?

Seem to remember it was originally pretty crap hence I removed it

Whats it called nowdays?

This is a good site to create routes and save them to your gps device. It uses OpenCycleMap instead of Google Streets which is better for offroad tracks.

www.bikeroutetoaster.com

Or you can use http://strava-tools.raceshape.com/vpu/, enter in the segment, download the file, connect your garmin and save the file to it to the new files folder

This is a good site to create routes and save them to your gps device. It uses OpenCycleMap instead of Google Streets which is better for offroad tracks.

www.bikeroutetoaster.com

Thanks guys, I'll check them out

Quick question...

Does the Edge 500 (old blue one) have the capability to download a route and issue directions (I know it does not have a map capability) but can it like tell you when to turn on the screen display i.e. a simple little arrow -> ?

Edited by SwissVan

Quick question...

Does the Edge 500 (old blue one) have the capability to download a route and issue directions (I know it does not have a map capability) but can it like tell you when to turn on the screen display i.e. a simple little arrow -> ?

Yes. It will show a vertical line and then a horizontol line to the right if it's a right turn. Quite cool. I've done it before for a route I haven't done before.

If I remember correctly, I used garmin connect to map the route. And then saved the file on my 500.

You can even set a time or pace and then 'race' against yourself.

Yes. It will show a vertical line and then a horizontol line to the right if it's a right turn. Quite cool. I've done it before for a route I haven't done before.

It should also alert you if you go off the route. I've used it once and it worked quite well.

If I remember correctly, I used garmin connect to map the route. And then saved the file on my 500.

You can even set a time or pace and then 'race' against yourself.

Thanks

Race myself.... Talk about not standing a hope n hell of winning that race.... :-)

Thanks

Race myself.... Talk about not standing a hope n hell of winning that race.... :-)

Haha just make your ghost self slow!

I saved the file under my Garmin/Courses folder. And then you select somewhere on the Garmin that you want to do a course and select your one you saved.

Haha just make your ghost self slow!

I saved the file under my Garmin/Courses folder. And then you select somewhere on the Garmin that you want to do a course and select your one you saved.

I found the course (zurich IM) on "Map my ride" and exported it to the GPSies route creator that Shaper mentioned earlier, and then using the GPSies route creator saved it as garmin tcx files to a memory stick. Hopefully when I get home I can then transfer them onto my edge 500 course folder and it all works...

I found the course (zurich IM) on "Map my ride" and exported it to the GPSies route creator that Shaper mentioned earlier, and then using the GPSies route creator saved it as garmin tcx files to a memory stick. Hopefully when I get home I can then transfer them onto my edge 500 course folder and it all works...

Cool. Let us know if everything works. Nice photo of your class!

Cool. Let us know if everything works. Nice photo of your class!

Yep it worked like a charm, never saw the vertical line thing (maybe a setting issue?) but it displayed the route ahead from an overhead type view with a small arrow representing my position and it was quite logical to follow.

Only problem was on some fast downhill sections the route did not keep up and I would miss a turn, but it quickly beeped "Off course" and by then it was easy to see where the mistake was. I think there might be a setting somewhere where you can put in a speed setting. I recall seeing one and it was set at 10kph and remember thinking maybe I should change it but was not 100% sure what it was for so left it...now I cannot find it again..LOL

The route has a few twisty and turny sections which would be almost impossible to follow without gps help if you don't know it, so ja good one garmin edge

Thanks, class photo from grade one or grade two which I found packed away in an old envelope

Yep it worked like a charm, never saw the vertical line thing (maybe a setting issue?) but it displayed the route ahead from an overhead type view with a small arrow representing my position and it was quite logical to follow.

Only problem was on some fast downhill sections the route did not keep up and I would miss a turn, but it quickly beeped "Off course" and by then it was easy to see where the mistake was. I think there might be a setting somewhere where you can put in a speed setting. I recall seeing one and it was set at 10kph and remember thinking maybe I should change it but was not 100% sure what it was for so left it...now I cannot find it again..LOL

The route has a few twisty and turny sections which would be almost impossible to follow without gps help if you don't know it, so ja good one garmin edge

Thanks, class photo from grade one or grade two which I found packed away in an old envelope

The Joberg2C has gone only GPS and no markings. Sani2c also uploaded GPS, but still had route markings. Might be the thing of the future. What's it like that side for mtb events?