RE:aktiv New suspension design from Trek icw Penske Racing

Capricorn

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From Trek:

1. 150 Requires Q-Factor change, 148 doesn't. (was reason behind 142 as well!)

2. 6 Companies already working on 148 hubs

3. Massive increase in 29er wheel stiffness

4. Won't be proprietary ( Get ready for LOTS of marketing hoo-hah)

Would like to give it a go. Longer travel 29ers suffer massively from wheel flex and deflection. To the point where they benefit most from carbon rims and stiff wheels like those offered by Industry Nine.

From Trek:

1. 150 Requires Q-Factor change, 148 doesn't. (was reason behind 142 as well!)

2. 6 Companies already working on 148 hubs

3. Massive increase in 29er wheel stiffness

Would like to give it a go. Longer travel 29ers suffer massively from wheel flex and deflection. To the point where they benefit most from carbon rims and stiff wheels like those offered by Industry Nine.

Cool. The main fear was that there's just another standard... meh. But I'm sure that with proper design, they could have gotten around the Q factor problem whilst retaining the 150mm standard... More hydroforming, yeah, but to open up the stays by an extra 1mm, while keeping the junction the same? Seems a bit of a fudge tbh.

As for the increase in stiffness - no doubt there. There's a larger base from which to mount the spokes, so the lateral stiffness would be increased dramatically by those extra 3mm per side.

Great getting guys like Penske involved in the sport. Looking for more info on their 148mm rear spacing...found anything on that?

Why not just make it 150mm????

Why not just make it 150mm????

Reasons shown above... but yeah, I agree with you. Should be a way around it with adequate design and construction. It's just another 1mm. And can be achieved by offsetting dropouts a bit...

And yet why not just go 150mm and have all that compatability from the DH wheeled side of things.

I see Cap beat me to it

From Trek:

1. 150 Requires Q-Factor change, 148 doesn't. (was reason behind 142 as well! hmmm, that 1mm is going to make a HUGE difference :whistling:

2. 6 Companies already working on 148 hubs soooo, they're going to shave 1mm off the end of a 150mm hub? sounds like a lot of work :ph34r:

3. Massive increase in 29er wheel stiffness,agreed much more than 142mm where the flanges stayed essentially in the same place and they basically just added endcaps. Still trying to figure out how that is stiffer

Reasons shown above... but yeah, I agree with you. Should be a way around it with adequate design and construction. It's just another 1mm. And can be achieved by offsetting dropouts a bit...

a file to the ends of 150mm hub will sort it out chop chop.... sorry file file ... :ph34r:

Pretty much exactly my thoughts, Dave. But then the 27.5 version still goes on 142mm hubs, so it's fine!

29er needs the additional stiffness for sure. No getting around that. But to forego an existing standard just because it'll necessitate them moving the dropouts 1mm further out each side!?

a file to the ends of 150mm hub will sort it out chop chop.... sorry file file ... :ph34r:

Yeah, but then you don't get the added stiffness on the separation of flanges. Or do you!? Do 150mm hubs have a wider separation factor on the flanges?

Google to my rescue...

Yeah, but then you don't get the added stiffness on the separation of flanges. Or do you!? Do 150mm hubs have a wider separation factor on the flanges?

Google to my rescue...

Depends on the hub

most have a wider space between the flanges than 135mm/142mm. Some keep those and just extend the axle and move the disc mount surface out

Depends on the hub

most have a wider space between the flanges than 135mm/142mm. Some keep those and just extend the axle and move the disc mount surface out

ze Hope?

Cool. The main fear was that there's just another standard... meh. But I'm sure that with proper design, they could have gotten around the Q factor problem whilst retaining the 150mm standard... More hydroforming, yeah, but to open up the stays by an extra 1mm, while keeping the junction the same? Seems a bit of a fudge tbh.

As for the increase in stiffness - no doubt there. There's a larger base from which to mount the spokes, so the lateral stiffness would be increased dramatically by those extra 3mm per side.

XKCD about standards is the best:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/standards.png

Yup (haven't done the measurements, but that's what it looks like)

Just confirmed superstar has a bigger flange separation on their 150mm hubs. its quite large as well... 58mm on the 135/142 (36/22 non drive/drive) vs 70mm (40/30) so it's actually a mahoosive difference in width.

to bring the thread back on topic.. this is a good read on the Penske regressive damping setup. The concept is the most important thing for us.

Will be interesting to see how big a hit the damper setup can handle without the shock feeling very notchy after the blow-off, as they are using F1 and nascar as a draw card, but last i checked, the biggest bump on those tracks are not much bigger than a thick-ish root on a typical trail, not half meter or higher drop offs.

But i'm sure they can tune the blow off to better handle those sorts of trail conditions.

edit: just remembered that they did say the shock has a switch for descending.

Edited by Capricorn