Permit for table mountain?

rock

sorry if its been posted before, sounds like you need a wild card to ride on the mountain?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heard guys got R500 fine for no level three wildcard......valid for tokai and no needed for the mountain.

bit of a cheek seeing there's no singletrack and I never really feel that safe up there.

if the additional funds are going to help security then I'm happy.....

heard guys got R500 fine for no level three wildcard......valid for tokai and no needed for the mountain.

bit of a cheek seeing there's no singletrack and I never really feel that safe up there.

if the additional funds are going to help security then I'm happy.....

who told you that?

there is signage on signal hill for instance, on some of the walker trails clearly stating no riding with a R500 fine if caught doing so. No mention of level x wild card to avoid the fine.

It's true... I got stopped at the Rhodes mem gate a few weeks back by some very rude and unhelpful guards who told me that everyone knew the you need an activity card. I was not allowed in...

I told them I have been cycling on the mountain for years and never needed or know about the card requirement but apparently:

'Anyone who says they didn't know is lying because they don't want to pay'

So I asked how I would know (because nothing of the sort is said on the sign at the gate)

'It has been widely publicised on social media'

They were there 2 days in a row and I haven't seen them since! 4 Guys and the patrol bakkie... I would rather not be on the mountain anyway if they have 4 guys and the bakkie at the gate and not patrolling.

All that said... I did my research afterwards and hidden away on the PPA site it does say that an activity card (level: whoknows) is required - so there's that I guess

Nope. It is for gratis. Just be safe. Rangers are pretty visable but be careful.

http://www.wildcard....-list&catid=444

http://www.sanparks....rds-permits.php

• Level 1 – Dog-walking (R210)
  • Level 1 - Multi User Level 1 card additional member (R75.00)
  • Level 2 – Hang-gliding and paragliding, sport climbing (R325)
  • Level 3 – Horse-riding, mountain biking, line fishing and transport (R430)

As I understand it, a Wildcard just gives the user annual recreational access. A separate, stand-alone greencard (permit) is required for a specific activity. Level 3 is the most expensive, as these activities do the most "damage".

http://www.wildcard....-list&catid=444

this is the important bit.

Visitors to Table Mountain National Park (Cape Point, Boulders, Silvermine, Tokai and Oudekraal)......

there's no formal access control on tbl mountain for riding. its for gratis until then.

Thought that was Tokai. Not the mountain. I have a wildcard as I ride Tokai every other day. News to me! Never been asked for a card or even stopped on the mountain.

dont worry copper: those links actually confirm that you are correct.

Thought that was Tokai. Not the mountain. I have a wildcard as I ride Tokai every other day. News to me! Never been asked for a card or even stopped on the mountain.

got stopped one night in the constantia side of the table mnt. going towards the nek, by rangers - wanted to fine us as no riding is permitted day or night on that part of the mnt.

was told tokai need a permit/wild card for day riding not for night riding

table mount from rhodes towards block house and further, no permit for day or night

this was about month or two ago.

dunno if this helps but this was on the Table Mountain Bikers twitter feed yesterday @TableMTB

post-27630-0-04695800-1402648320_thumb.png

Strickly speaking a permit is required to ride in any area of the Table Mountain National park, which goes all the way to Cape Point.

Strictly speaking you need a permit to walk anywhere on the TM range.

Just has not been enforced.

I went around in circles on this very issue, as I am a very occasional rider on Table Mtn.

The guys at Revolution Cycles in Bree Stree told me earlier this year that no permit was required but the TM Mtb guys seem to contradict that???

Just checked tablemountainbikers.co.za and it appears that a permit IS required - R430: SHEESH!

http://www.sanparks.co.za/images/news/2011/activity-permit-sm.jpg

The TMNP My Activity Permit is required by individuals who make use of the Park to undertake a specific/variety of activities. Activities requiring a permit are as follow:

A valid DAFF recreational fishing permit is required when purchasing Level 3 line fishing or Marine Species Access permit respectively for use in Cape of Good Hope (Cape Point).

It's pretty clear. If you're in Table Mountain National Park, you need permits for certain activities. This is nothing new.

Strictly speaking you need a permit to walk anywhere on the TM range.

Just has not been enforced.

Nor is possible to comply with. Where did you read this?

To pick on mountain bikers only is unfair and discriminatory and we should call SANParks out on this one.

Personally, I think it is high time that SANParks start to control access to the front of Table Mountain. That will get rid of a lot of the crime. They need a decent fence along De Waal Drive and above the City Bowl. Access through Tafelberg Rd, Deer Park and Rhodes Memorial only. Guards at the 3 gates and everybody pays. Whether you take your dog up there to go poop on the mountain, ride your bike or smoke dope and drum yourself into a trance, no exceptions. Money to go exclusively towards Table Mountain safety and path maintenance.

Archived