Scott, trek, cannondale

Muggins

I currently ride a scott scale 960 HT.

I now want a dual suspension bike. I am keeping my HT.

So far I have had a look at the following:

1. Scott Spark 940

2. Scott Spark 960

3. Cannondale Scalpal Alloy

4. Trek Rumblefish

Thoughts?

I have only been at this game for a year now but I am well and properly hooked.

I like the Scott's. I have only ridden a Scott.

I must say the Trek and Cannondale also looked very good. There is something about that single fork on the Cannondale that says take me home.

Anything else I should look at.

Thanks.

post-49211-0-94676500-1402680384_thumb.jpg

post-49211-0-85551400-1402680419_thumb.jpg

post-49211-0-32332400-1402680895_thumb.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At a big price.

Nah. Keep it simple with SLX / x9 and a flow / superstar wheelbuild, with a Reba up front. You can build up a very decent spec bike with not so much.

From your list, most certainly the Cannondale.

Class of it's own - Only issue is getting the Lefty serviced is a pain in-the-butt, but if you are keeping the HT or have other bikes then its not an issue.

Fastest up and down the hills. Don't think you will ride the HT much after you get it.

Scott's are heavy, dual-lockout is a gimmick.

For 2014 they changed the saddle, brakes, rear hub and rims over the 2013 Scalpel 3, all good- especially dropping the avid's was a great choice.

Go for the Cannondale.

From your list, most certainly the Cannondale.

Class of it's own - Only issue is getting the Lefty serviced is a pain in-the-butt, but if you are keeping the HT or have other bikes then its not an issue.

Fastest up and down the hills. Don't think you will ride the HT much after you get it.

Scott's are heavy, dual-lockout is a gimmick.

For 2014 they changed the saddle, brakes, rear hub and rims over the 2013 Scalpel 3, all good- especially dropping the avid's was a great choice.

Go for the Cannondale.

Agreed. Of the 3 - The cannondale.

Good reviews on the Vipa but don't know hey..... I ride a momsen hardtail as well and I love the bike. Perfect geometry for me. However I know about 2 bikeshops that don't stock them anymore due to poor backup from them. For this reason (and that I hate the current frame design) I won't buy a momsen again.

I think both the Scott and the Dale are great choices. My biased opinion would be the dale since I really want that new flash coming out

Always the Question: What bike to to buy . . . . . . .

Every answer will be the person's own preference or longing dream.

Here goes my 2c: perhaps a bit off topic.

You have to pedal the damn thing . . .

None of the bikes you mentioned is bad.

On a 10km lap . . your times on all of them will be about the same.

So then buy the bike you like to look at . . . .and like riding, and makes you smile.

(Within your budget . . . Yes we all want S-Works or Black Edition or what not)

The Momsen although a nice bike is just plain ugly. The Scalpel is race oriented so the top tube is shortish and the head angle steeper than most. The trail is also less than most other bikes which lends itself to fast handlng that demands your attention.

I wouldn't get a Trek unless it has the new Re:aktiv damping.

The Scott is a good option and a nice stable bike.

Also look at the BMC Fourstroke FS03 range or FS02 if you have bit more cash to blow on a carbon front triangle.

For all round XC/Marathon/Trail I'd go for the Rocky Mountain 970RSL. Its in the similar price range to the others and the sweestest handling all rounder I've slung my danglies over

I went back and had another look. I think I am going with the Scott Spark 920.

The shock issue was apparently with the 2012 and 2013 models. In fact the salesman said they didn't sell any of them because of that. They would not even stock them.

This has apparently been sorted out with the Fox Nude shock.

post-49211-0-54132000-1402748775_thumb.jpg

2014 Scott Spark 920 very nice!

The new 2014 Scott Nude shock makes a huge difference

I did not even consider Scott with the old DT-Swiss shock

I ride the 2014 Scott Genius 910 and I like it.

In traction mode . . . . no to little pedal-bob and small bump compliance is very nice.

Archived