Great fathersday pressie - stolen Hilux!!!

Hendrik vd Walt

My 7 month old double cab stolen at Lynbridge centre in 15 min in 'secure' undercover garage!!!

I wonder how many of these cars get stolen in Pretoria a day???

Have a look at this clip. Anyone know how they do it?

Mystery gizmo opens car doors. Wave of auto thefts…:

@Slabs I did not watch the video (currently on my ipad with extremely slow internet on campus). But they use normal security gate remotes to override a car remote, just hold in the sec gate remote while car remote is being pressed and it "blocks" the car remote signal. They tried it on me a while ago, luckily my car has a noisy locking mech so when I noticed my doors not locking, I walked back to my car and re-locked them and double checked by pulling on the handle. Whilst doing this I was looking around and noticed bravo 1&2 getting up and walking away pretty quick...

Some shopping centres are now fitting detectors to detect these blocking remotes to warn you.

hehehe, how many people will know what that funny alarm in the background is trying to tell them though.

G

@Slabs I did not watch the video (currently on my ipad with extremely slow internet on campus). But they use normal security gate remotes to override a car remote, just hold in the sec gate remote while car remote is being pressed and it "blocks" the car remote signal. They tried it on me a while ago, luckily my car has a noisy locking mech so when I noticed my doors not locking, I walked back to my car and re-locked them and double checked by pulling on the handle. Whilst doing this I was looking around and noticed bravo 1&2 getting up and walking away pretty quick...

This does not seem to be that device. I have asked people in the insurance industry and they are also stumped.

Mine was also stolen on 8 June on my bday. Sindicate operating. Found CCTV footage of them. Happened in daylight inside a townhouse complex....bastards

there is another video on youtube, scum stealing a fortunner, hilux and fortunners they have got them down to a fine art, KEEP IN MIND THEY SHARE MORE THAN 60% PARTS BIN TO A wait for it beeeeeg surprise TAXIS

Why did the tracking companies not help? Surely they can find these vehicles?!

Most tracking devices are either out of the car or blocked within a few minutes, or before the car is taken. Car guards are involved as well with the syndicates. Friends car was stolen with car guard there, 99% sure he is involved since he can't not see, no evidence though.

Be very vigilant of remote blocking, make sure the car locks and press that button a few more times as you walk away, rather safe than sorry.

Tracking systems are no longer a means of preventing the crime - merely a compulsory requirement in order for insurance to pay out!

As Vangar said - `Most tracking devices are either out of the car or blocked within a few minutes`

If they have a 10min lead - it is GONE!

Tracking systems are no longer a means of preventing the crime - merely a compulsory requirement in order for insurance to pay out!

As Vangar said - `Most tracking devices are either out of the car or blocked within a few minutes`

If they have a 10min lead - it is GONE!

Jip. ..and make sure you call them at least once a year to make sure its still working ....otherwise insurance might not pay out .

The car theft guys are well organized, involves car guards as well. They approach car guards and give them a list of cars to look out for. Video footage i saw of an incident at Glen Marais shows a Hilux driving in and driver gets out to go to shops, car guard is seen talking on a cell phone, few minutes later another car pulls up, guy jumps out and car guard walks the other way. Less than 5 minutes later the Hilux is seen leaving with "new" owner.

Unfortunately theft of Hilux's and Fortuner's is just too common - amongst my mates I can count 3 double cabs and 2 Fortuner's in the space of the last 2 years, all in Gauteng. Most of them have now shifted over to other brands (or in one case to a Land Cruiser double cab) purely because of this.

Yes, I'm also looking into shifting to a different brand. I grew with Toyota and only owned them and loved them, you cant win. Its a pity.....