Mountain bike events in South Africa centralised website

Brendan Vogt

It's a great idea and I wish you well. And will be a visitor.

But just remember, many-a-web-site was started with good intention but the admin quickly becomes such an overhead that it falls into disrepair before a year is out. Especially a site like this that really requires a huge amount of updating.

But keep at it and within a year or two the traffic to the (well maintained) site will generate the revenue I hope you'll see.

Good luck.

PS. Don't fall into the trap of trying to add every feature your average (& infinitely better web-admin) hubber will try and impose on you. Keep it simple but accurate and it'll be a success.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the uncluttered design and the idea is great BUT and this from personal experience running a website it's all about CONTENT CONTENT CONTENT ...... So as long as has been mentioned already you are prepared to put in lots of time and effort to keep it updated it will be successful and I will use it!

Thanks for the positive response. MTB is a passion for me and so is web development and user experience.

Keep them rolling. I just wish that more women would post as well because they don't really do MTB races, except PPA's women event.

My 2c with being down a similar passion project path that we've gotten gatvol of and abandoned.

- You must be REALLY passionate about or it will become a job/drag/mission very quickly and as has been said you'll stop working on the site.

- Getting buy-inn from the industry is NB so they provide constant, up to date info and you don't have to go look for it and people know it's correct so they come to your site and no double checking is needed as has been said. Also get brands to feature so they can advertise etc. This ties-inn with my next point.

- Having a monitisation strategy is NB! Don't leave this for later or it will lead to point 1. You need buy in from cycling brands etc. to advertise so you can atleast cover the hosting costs etc., which will start adding up very quickly if the site works and is popular. Otherwise you get to a point where you've got it all in place but the passion is now costing you money as it did us, which quickly turns things sour.

Hope this helps.

Guest Zeitgeist

Hi all,

I am embarking on a personal website called MTB Events SA. There are so many MTB events across South Africa and they each have their own website. The reason why I started this website is because I want to have a centralised website/database where you can view all events across the country.

I want to display event information in a neat and readable way instead of having race details all over the place. I also want to display accommodation in and around the event. I always struggle to find accommodation when travelling to far away races. I also want to display things to do in and around the venue for those that are going to sleep over and don't want to sit at the place where you stay and watch TV. I want to have detailed route information and profiles. User comments after the race which can be forwarded to the event organisers. Pics of the race, Youtube videos of the routes, directions to the race, weather etc etc.

The site has been optimised to use the latest internet technologies, it won't work on Internet Explorer 8 or lower, only from 9 and above. It will work on other browsers like Google Chrome and Firefox. It is optimsed for mobile devices because most people are all day on their phones.

I don't plan to make money off the site right now, for now it's just a personal project and website. There might be a similar site but like I said it's a personal project that I am doing in my spare time and for my own enjoyment.

If you have any ideas it would be appreciated. What would you like to see about an event before entering? Do you guys think something like this will work?

The site is very bare at the moment, I put on content as soon as when I have time.

Go to www.mtbevents.co.za and click on events on the menu above. Select the race that I have loaded to see what I am trying to do.

I have a Facebook page and Twitter account registered. If you want please follow on Facebook and Twitter. I will starting posting as soon as when I have some more content.

I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

Brendan

nice one

Great idea. So irritating having to jump to 10 different sites trying to plan a race diary.

I agree. It annoys me as well. This one of the big motivations why I am doing this website.

Great idea. So irritating having to jump to 10 different sites trying to plan a race diary.

I annoys me as well. If you haven't already done so please like on Facebook or follow on Twitter to stay updated on changes. I will need feedback from everyone.

How about taking it one step further:

The Hubsa is as central as it will ever get, so maybe talk to Matt (Admin Guy) to take charge of the Events section. You can run it as your own site and it will include the hub's allready brilliant infrastructure, just giving some royalties to the main site's owners when you make big bucks.

Include a standard set of maps. profiles, facilities and accommodation venues.

My 2c

My 2c.

Nope to your first suggestion. I am doing it my way on my domain. Not going to reply on other infrastructure.

I will include everything in due time to your second suggestion. Currently I am doing it in my spare time.

If you haven't already done so please like on Facebook or follow on Twitter to stay updated on changes. I will need constant feedback from everyone.

Hi

Great idea. Would be really good to have decent info about each event as well as current event websites are really lacking in many cases, especially if you are not familiar with the location.

I agree with you. I am always looking for clean down to the point information on an event. I don't want to sift through many pages where event information is not consistent.

If you haven't already done so please like on Facebook or follow on Twitter to stay updated on changes. I will need feedback from everyone.