Spokes, where to buy and mixing on same wheel?

Guest Smimby

Guest Smimby

I am looking for Pillar (heard they are some of the best and best value for R's)

But I can not find them online anywhere and don't feel like phoning 12 LBS's

On that note, would it be ok to use Butted spokes and straight on the same wheel?

For example, maybe butted on the drive side and straight on the non-drive

Guest Smimby

Thanks Shaper but they only have butted spokes....

Theoretically mixing butted and non butted spokes should be avoided as the amount the spoke stretches per unit load is different. That said, the difference will be small and I'm not sure how much it will be an issue practically.

Guest Smimby

Why on earth would you want to build with straight gauge.

Go butted drive and non-drive side and use brass nipples.

Tried to send you a pm, but can not.....?

Theoretically mixing butted and non butted spokes should be avoided as the amount the spoke stretches per unit load is different. That said, the difference will be small and I'm not sure how much it will be an issue practically.

Just to clarify, Butted one side and non butted the other side is less of an issue, but don't mix on one side.

But as wyatt said - if you can rather go butted both side. You sacrifice a little lateral stiffness, but durability is massively improved.

Guest Smimby

I had butted Pillar fitted to a 142x12 powertap and now it feels like it just flexes to much....

on my other bike I have a powertap (qr) on a 355 rim(simular to crest) and love the stiffness.....

The 355 has straight spokes, and on my Niner I have straight spokes on Hope II hub and love the stiffness of the wheel

Hence the only thing I could see that was different is the butted spokes....hence I want to go straight.

Guest Smimby

Just to clarify, Butted one side and non butted the other side is less of an issue, but don't mix on one side.

But as wyatt said - if you can rather go butted both side. You sacrifice a little lateral stiffness, but durability is massively improved.

It is that Lateral stiffness that I lost and dont like.....a softtail feels loose as it is....

I am looking for Pillar (heard they are some of the best and best value for R's)

But I can not find them online anywhere and don't feel like phoning 12 LBS's

On that note, would it be ok to use Butted spokes and straight on the same wheel?

For example, maybe butted on the drive side and straight on the non-drive

Don't bother with the brand name of the spokes. As long as you buy some of the good brands such as Sapim, DT, Wheelsmith or Pillar, things are equal.

Secondly, in sports cycling there is never a case where you would spec straight-gauge spokes or single butted spokes. The only exception is when you have a supply problem and you have to cut and thread very short spokes such as for 80mm deep section wheels laced radially.

Thirdly, there is never a case to be made for spec'ing a mix of straight-gauge and butted. If you want a quality, durable wheel, it will be double-butted all-round.

Lateral stiffness of a wheel is almost never an issue. A little bit of flex cannot be felt whilst riding and to get an idea of just how little wheels do flex is use, consider a road bike wheel with 1mm clearance between brake pad and rim. How often have you done some maneuver where the rim touches the brakes? Similarly on MTB wheels. Is there any evidence that your tyre is scraping the inside of the fork or chainstay?

29er wheels are very weak due to their 10% increase in size over 26" wheels, yet same spoke count and rim profiles as their stronger counterparts. Should you spec' say 1.5mm spokes for this wheel and insist on the lightest rim and reduce the spoke count to 28, then you will experience flex to the point where they will scrape the fork and chainstay, yet you can't feel the flex when riding.

Don't bother with the brand name of the spokes. As long as you buy some of the good brands such as Sapim, DT, Wheelsmith or Pillar, things are equal.

Secondly, in sports cycling there is never a case where you would spec straight-gauge spokes or single butted spokes. The only exception is when you have a supply problem and you have to cut and thread very short spokes such as for 80mm deep section wheels laced radially.

Thirdly, there is never a case to be made for spec'ing a mix of straight-gauge and butted. If you want a quality, durable wheel, it will be double-butted all-round.

Lateral stiffness of a wheel is almost never an issue. A little bit of flex cannot be felt whilst riding and to get an idea of just how little wheels do flex is use, consider a road bike wheel with 1mm clearance between brake pad and rim. How often have you done some maneuver where the rim touches the brakes? Similarly on MTB wheels. Is there any evidence that your tyre is scraping the inside of the fork or chainstay?

29er wheels are very weak due to their 10% increase in size over 26" wheels, yet same spoke count and rim profiles as their stronger counterparts. Should you spec' say 1.5mm spokes for this wheel and insist on the lightest rim and reduce the spoke count to 28, then you will experience flex to the point where they will scrape the fork and chainstay, yet you can't feel the flex when riding.

PS: If you want spokes in a specific length, contact Dave Marshall here on the Hub. He has one of only three spoke cutting machines in ZA and he keeps a stock of black and silver spoke blanks that can be cut to almost any size other than ultra shorties.

Guest Smimby

Hi Johan

Thanks VERY much for this.....maybe it is the way the wheel was build.....that gave it more flex feeling.

Thanks for the info....really appreciate it

I agree with the mechanic of all the stuff you say and also add that larger diameter wheels also result in more acute angles between the spokes on the two sides of the wheel when using the same hub, which also result in reduced lateral stiffness.

That said, you quite often see (and can feel) lateral movement on low spoke count wheels - you do see wheels catching brake blocks on out of saddle efforts. I stress this is low spoke count and by that I mean typically 24 and under (although your example with 1.5mm centre section with 28 spokes on a 29er would also be pretty horrid)

I agree with the mechanic of all the stuff you say and also add that larger diameter wheels also result in more acute angles between the spokes on the two sides of the wheel when using the same hub, which also result in reduced lateral stiffness.

That said, you quite often see (and can feel) lateral movement on low spoke count wheels - you do see wheels catching brake blocks on out of saddle efforts. I stress this is low spoke count and by that I mean typically 24 and under (although your example with 1.5mm centre section with 28 spokes on a 29er would also be pretty horrid)

I built myself a set of wheels for my 29'er with Hope hubs, Loaded XCM rims and Revolution spokes (1.5 butted)

These are built 2 cross.

This is the stiffest set of wheels I have.