Tokai July Maintenance Day

Guest Omega Man

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Errr.......say wot!? Yikes! Where's the X where you eventually found Theo's battered body and broken bike?

Yeah, that launch is just stupidly big, I don't see anyone clearing it anytime soon. Nuts.

Errr.......say wot!? Yikes! Where's the X where you eventually found Theo's battered body and broken bike?

The divot was pointed out by Rika... suffice to say that the gap is Huuuuge! And the run in is, well, tricky...

DH1 is looking good. Slippery, but good. Just wasn't feeling hundreds so I didn't do any of the changes. Don't like doing new stuff when I feel as if my breakfast is trying to say hello to my tonsils.

Guest Omega Man

as a major route for walkers, runners and XCers, things could get interesting if there's no spotter for the DHers attempting that jump.

also mega man: no discussions happen on the website. everyone comes here to discuss issues and ideas. I hope what you said doesn't mean no complaints or concerns are addressed unless one goes to the one thing not used the most?

No dude. That thing is monstrous. There's MAYBE 3 riders that ride tokai that would even consider attempting that jump and it's been closed off just in case some poor unsuspecting guy rides off the end of it. I've asked Theo not to try it without someone keeping a lookout for him. He's the only person whose attempted it. Duran said it's impossible.

On your other point. Sorry man. I didn't mean to say don't discuss or crit on here at all. Not looking to stifle discussion at all. You're free to say and do as you please. But we're trying to encourage people to access the website and we also want to keep a register of sorts where we encourage people to report crime, dodgy people, trail obstacles such as fallen trees, trail maintenance issues etc.

Guest Omega Man

The divot was pointed out by Rika... suffice to say that the gap is Huuuuge! And the run in is, well, tricky...

DH1 is looking good. Slippery, but good. Just wasn't feeling hundreds so I didn't do any of the changes. Don't like doing new stuff when I feel as if my breakfast is trying to say hello to my tonsils.

Ja that thing is monster big. Pierre Van der Merwe tried it a few years ago when the run is was MUCH smoother and the result was much the same.

I have to say the stuff on DH 1 is running well. Unfortunately the run in is so inviting that people are back to braking on the lips of the jumps and dragging their wheels down the roll in. We're gonna have to put in a qualifying feature.

That gap honestly looks like it is just waiting for a jumper to collect a hiker/rider/jogger/baboon on the way through.

Should make for an interesting thread.

No dude. That thing is monstrous. There's MAYBE 3 riders that ride tokai that would even consider attempting that jump and it's been closed off just in case some poor unsuspecting guy rides off the end of it. I've asked Theo not to try it without someone keeping a lookout for him. He's the only person whose attempted it. Duran said it's impossible.

On your other point. Sorry man. I didn't mean to say don't discuss or crit on here at all. Not looking to stifle discussion at all. You're free to say and do as you please. But we're trying to encourage people to access the website and we also want to keep a register of sorts where we encourage people to report crime, dodgy people, trail obstacles such as fallen trees, trail maintenance issues etc.

Makes sense and I would have thought it makes it a whole lot easier to track.

Guest Omega Man

I know I'm a tad biased here but Tokai on a windless Sunday Arvo is something special. Kind of like that last high tide session at Elands before you head home. I still rate the DH track. It's got a bit of everything. We just need some FAT jumps on the DH 3 section now.

Big Safe Jumps.

Edited by Omega Man

Thx guys - will go give the Dh a go later today. Still working on riding one of the jump/drops - the last one on dh1 that requires a r/h turn to make it...

Ja that thing is monster big. Pierre Van der Merwe tried it a few years ago when the run is was MUCH smoother and the result was much the same.

I have to say the stuff on DH 1 is running well. Unfortunately the run in is so inviting that people are back to braking on the lips of the jumps and dragging their wheels down the roll in. We're gonna have to put in a qualifying feature.

Drop into the run-in? But that would ruin the road gap...

Dots represent kicker and landing (into the berm)

X marks the spot where Theo landed his rear wheel... post-3056-1404038634,0651.jpg

geez, that's well short there. eina

geez, that's well short there. eina

The problem is a lack of speed out the wide rocky right hander I would imagine. Even with a perfect run, still a long way to the transition...

The problem is a lack of speed out the wide rocky right hander I would imagine. Even with a perfect run, still a long way to the transition...

Even still, the entry is tricky. Apparently Theo "meant to flat land it". I'm sure he'd have meant to drop it if he'd chickened out as well.

As Duane said. Duran said it was impossible. And coming from that kid...

Guest Omega Man

Drop into the run-in? But that would ruin the road gap...

* Note I'm speaking just as a concerned rider here.

We have spoken about this issue before. And Deon and I spoke about it this morning.

The idea is that the top road gap be closed off and only opened for events. It's a major risk area at present cos even if you put a mate on the road stopping xc dudes they often just ignore you.

Then we put in a qualifying feature on the roll in. A wooden drop like you mentioned. Something that you HAVE to do to enter the track. This is pretty much standard practice in the Euro bikeparks where the first feature you encounter sets you up for the rest of the track.

That drop will have to be removable tho. So come race day we can easily take it out and once the race is done we put it back.

We've got another problem tho in that there are multiple entry points for the track further down. We can only solve this issue with signage.

Guest Omega Man

Even still, the entry is tricky. Apparently Theo "meant to flat land it". I'm sure he'd have meant to drop it if he'd chickened out as well.

Ja he meant to flat it but he was hoping to case it with the rear wheel and roll into the landing rather than bottom everything including his bottom. Hahaha.

I think it's safe to assume no one will be hitting that any time soon.

Hey all.

Please remember the July Maintenance day on the 5th of July. We'll be tackling the Bridal Path/Switchbacks to clean them up a bit.

Beers will be provided by the kind folk at CBC.

All you need to know is on the TokaiMTB website

http://tokaimtb.co.za/the-team/

If you can't make the build/don't like manual labor but still want to help out we've got you covered.

http://tokaimtb.co.z...duct/donation/

bump