Online Racing - Virtualtraining (Cyclops)

Garfield2010

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Hubbers, 

I'm working on a marketing campaign for one of the major road races in SA. We're thinking of doing a 'online virtual race' of the route to build some hype and reward participants with some decent prizes, free entries, accommodation etc.

Questions are:

1. Would anyone be interested in participating?

2. Who do I speak to for this to get setup (i.e. BicyclePower gents)?

3. Any no-go's and things to look out for?

Any replies or suggestions on what you would like to see welcome!

Thanks.

Anyone who has a subscription with CVT can post a race, to post a race you need to have the route gps files uploaded onto the CVT routes web site from a gps computer that is compatible (not sure which gps type files they use).

I'm not sure how CVT would react if you made a big deal about it as in marketing the race, you would have to check with them, maybe run the idea through Dave at Bicycle power...his contact details are in this thread somewhere.

Nothing could stop you from asking someone you know who is a subscriber to create the route and post it as a race. There are already quite a few routes like that, usually Triathlon ride routes. 

As mentioned earlier most races tend to be short and hard, not many folks fancy racing on a IDT for +/- 100km and the majority of races posted are usually in the 30 - 90 minute time frame. Maybe if you broke it up into 3 or 4 shorter segments and use each segment as a separate race on separate days?  

That's a nightmare, the last climb i did was Col du Galibier and at each check point it had me listed in first place (definitely not) and i thought that i might have selected the wrong route but was not going to stop / abandon so carried on...luckily it was the right route and registered my attempt...only got one left now...Palomar South 18.83 km @ avg 7% max 12 %

I just checked the challenge finishes on Sunday 15...so still time

A bit hectic to do 3 of those routes in 5 days, go for it :thumbup:  you can have a rest week next week :clap:

I've been using a standard Conti GP 4000 and it lasts forever (been on my road bike for a few years now and has many hrs on the IDT (powerbeam). Its only now getting to the bottom of the wear indicator holes so will replace it just before summer season starts here.

I did the 29km one last night, and at about 3km to go I started feeling the tyre slipping... luckily it only deflated a little, so I just did the last bit at a slow pace - no way in hell I was going to redo it.

I shall try my old GP4000 set. I don't trust them on the road, but might as well get some use out of them.

I hope to get my trainer tomorrow and will try to be ready to join on Thursday.

Nice, what type of trainer?

A word of warning, I've noticed and experienced that most newbies tend to register ok for a race but either fail to start or fail to finish...usually failing to start is a problem with the process of joining the actual race so make sure you are warmed up and ready to connect at least 10 minutes before the scheduled race time start...it takes a bit of patience and luck to actually connect to and successfully start your first race.

I did the 29km one last night, and at about 3km to go I started feeling the tyre slipping... luckily it only deflated a little, so I just did the last bit at a slow pace - no way in hell I was going to redo it.

I shall try my old GP4000 set. I don't trust them on the road, but might as well get some use out of them.

Which type of IDT do you use?

Hi Hubbers, 

I'm working on a marketing campaign for one of the major road races in SA. We're thinking of doing a 'online virtual race' of the route to build some hype and reward participants with some decent prizes, free entries, accommodation etc.

Questions are:

1. Would anyone be interested in participating?

2. Who do I speak to for this to get setup (i.e. BicyclePower gents)?

3. Any no-go's and things to look out for?

Any replies or suggestions on what you would like to see welcome!

Thanks.

Hi Deon,

You welcome to speak to us regarding the above Campaign. We will be more than willing to assist you in setting the whole Virtual route and races up.

Please send me a mail with all the information and lets get cracking and get this up and racing.

mike@bicyclepower.co.za

Chat soon

Which type of IDT do you use?

Tacx Vortex Smart. Not bad, given the price, but I'll definitely look at getting a higher-end one eventually - the maximum gradient this one can simulate is the AVERAGE of the bigger climbs.

We the only trainer company (CycleOps) that do not recommend using a Trainer tyre as one might find the tyre to slip.

We recommend using a normal road tyre (GP 4000 or the likes there of) with all our CycleOps trainers. Make sure the tyres are pumped to 8-8.5Bar before training commences.

We recommend using a normal road tyre (GP 4000 or the likes there of) with all our CycleOps trainers. Make sure the tyres are pumped to 8-8.5Bar before training commences.

Thanks, I'll test it.

Any recommendations on tubes and such, for use on the trainer? I assume using old ones with sealant in is not a good idea, any other tips? I've read about people putting talcum on the tube...

Nice, what type of trainer?

A word of warning, I've noticed and experienced that most newbies tend to register ok for a race but either fail to start or fail to finish...usually failing to start is a problem with the process of joining the actual race so make sure you are warmed up and ready to connect at least 10 minutes before the scheduled race time start...it takes a bit of patience and luck to actually connect to and successfully start your first race.

Thanks for the warning. I will make sure that I am on time and ready.

The trainer I am getting is an Insurance replacement of my old Tacx I Magic system - so they replace with a Tacx Boshido

Tacx Vortex Smart. Not bad, given the price, but I'll definitely look at getting a higher-end one eventually - the maximum gradient this one can simulate is the AVERAGE of the bigger climbs.

Didn't think of this when I bought my trainer. Luckily it seems to be able to get at least close. I'm a light guy so "climbing" for me shouldn't be as strenuous on the motor as with some of you bigger, stronger guys.

Didn't think of this when I bought my trainer. Luckily it seems to be able to get at least close. I'm a light guy so "climbing" for me shouldn't be as strenuous on the motor as with some of you bigger, stronger guys.

Who are you calling big? ;)

Its got the "virtual speed" function, so once the gradient on the software goes over what it can simulate, the speed it reports drops, even though the resistance and my cadence stays the same. I think it is good enough for the online racing, but probably not the best preparation if you were using it to prepare for a trip to the real Alps... <sigh> one can dream

Who are you calling big? ;)

Its got the "virtual speed" function, so once the gradient on the software goes over what it can simulate, the speed it reports drops, even though the resistance and my cadence stays the same. I think it is good enough for the online racing, but probably not the best preparation if you were using it to prepare for a trip to the real Alps... <sigh> one can dream

I weigh 68kg as of this morning. Relatively, most guys are big ;)

The caveat is that I have Micky Mouse power.

HI gents, apologies for not going through the whole topic, but when do these online races happen?

So far this year, whenever Jaco-fiets had time to post one :)

Next one is for this Thursday, at 19:00. An 8km climb, I see

Other than the hub guys, there are usually a few races posted by other people.

Archived