Kulula ?????

Wuzzie

Fly SAA and then you wont pay extra for the bike bag. I had no issues flying CT to JHB two weeks ago. And you dont have to pre-book it you just rock up.

I flew from jhb to Durban with SAA yesterday. At collection point in Durban there where two other bike boxes to be collected. All three boxes had been broken open luckily nothing was missing from mine as I did not include anything extra. not sure about the other unlucky souls

Guest notmyname

I flew from jhb to Durban with SAA yesterday. At collection point in Durban there where two other bike boxes to be collected. All three boxes had been broken open luckily nothing was missing from mine as I did not include anything extra. not sure about the other unlucky souls

Bidvest employees I tell you.

So how long have you worked for Kulula? :whistling:

The baggage is handled by the airport's staff, ACSA, not by the individual airline AFAIK

The baggage is handled by the airport's staff, ACSA, not by the individual airline AFAIK

Doesnt matter. You PAY which ever airline to fly with, in this case Kulula so surely the airline you choose should stand for liability. If not then the toilet cleaner that works at the airport can also be held responsible as he indirectly works for ACSA. Too much of unwillingness to own up for crappy service in this country. But they quick to charge you mega bucks for that ticket. :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

Some tips i have noticed make a difference. Baggage handlers aren't paid or given bonuses on how delicate they are with your bag. Think it through a bit. They really don't care about your carbon poride and joy.

1.) Invest in a good rigid bike bag with wheels so it can be easily wheeled rather than needing to be carried.

2.) IMHO: The more difficult the bag is to handle and the more outsize it is, the more likely it is to get special handling. So by trying to get your bike in your checked luggage you could cause the issue. Ship in a huge heavy bag and make sure it cant be checked in. Your bike will get there every time.

3.) If they are nicely wrapped up and they are all properly packaged and snug in their bag then its really easy. Some dis assembly required as well. Take all the things they tell you off. Pedals, derailleurs etc.

I have 2 x rigid bags and have moved many bikes up and down from Cape Town for many years and have never had a problem - the only one i had was due to my own stupidity in the way i packaged the bike that lead to a derailleur being broken.

I do pack a lot of extras in the bag when i take a bag - like pumps, helmet. camelbak etc.

And i carry the bikes through to the special check in even if they offer to take it.

Doesnt matter. You PAY which ever airline to fly with, in this case Kulula so surely the airline you choose should stand for liability. If not then the toilet cleaner that works at the airport can also be held responsible as he indirectly works for ACSA. Too much of unwillingness to own up for crappy service in this country. But they quick to charge you mega bucks for that ticket. :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

My point is just it could have happened with any airline as it is the same people handling all the airlines baggage.

How Kulula chose to deal with it afterwards is a different matter, I agree that it sucks if they didn't care

It was my Santa Cruz that was damaged. Bike was packed properly in a bikesafe hard she'll travel box laden with fragile stickers.

It looks like they layed the box flat and packed all the luggage on top of it, can't be sure tho.

I did take extra insurance out for the extra baggage, still busy with the process so I can't comment on what the outcome is. I'll update and let you guys know what the outcome is. Hopefully good news.

My advise would be to either wrap your bike up and package it like it's made out of glass. Or if you can, save the heartbreak, trouble and time loss and rent a decent bike wherever you going, if available.