Giant Tranced advanced 27.5 rear triangle to fit Trance Advanced 26?

nox1111

Hey guys,

This is quite a tricky question, so I'm hoping one of you have either tried this, know of someone who did, or have a new 27'5 that can measure eveything up, so that I can be the guinea pig in trying it out.

I have a 2011 Trance Advanced SL - and I love it. I want to keep it, but I want to know if it is possible to buy the new Trance 27.5's rear triangle and swop them out, so that I can go 27.5 without having to discard my bike and then buy an new frame?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Photos of both bikes attached.

post-2231-0-16284300-1403777736_thumb.jpg

post-2231-0-66416200-1403777754_thumb.jpg

Don't think it'll work, bro. The triangles are not only different in shape and overall dimensions, but the linkages are different, and placed at different areas on teh seat tube so you'll have compatability issues from the get go.

Looking at these two photos i think it could work. Then again i like Frankenstein projects so dont hold me to it if it doesnt work :ph34r: :w00t:

post-7810-0-99313400-1403778835_thumb.jpg

I've done an overlay on photoshop and no-they're not the same - that's why I want to know if someone has physically tried it - may be a case that it works, or something like having to use the one's linkeages with the other swingarm, or it may not work at all.

I know it's not an ideal solution, but if it can work - that would be rad!

Otherwise - I need to find someone that can build custom rear triangles :)

Flipping hell .... the looks so much better without the kink in the top tube!

OP, don't think this will be a successful project

Edited by Hairy

Have you taken your Trance to your LBS, Grap some 27.5 wheel of the floor and see if it fits?

Okay - technically you could do it. You'd have to find a shock with a different eye to eye, though, or get a spacer made up for your existing shock to allow for the different eye to eye length when you change the triangle itself.

It may be cheaper and easier to just buy a new Trance frame for R 12,500 or so and then go that way. I don't know what the parts go for, but a new shock, rear triangle and spacers that you'd have to get someone to make up for you would be probably as much as the full new frame, and then you'd have the problem of the suspension kinematics being different, which will affect the ride quite substantially.

Try and find Technical drawings on the web for both triangles and compare ? Sizes should not be to far off maybe spot on. Or take a chance and mail Giant in America.

I tried a friend's Anthem 27.5 wheels last night - front is 100% - but rear - as I guessed is a no-go. Around 10mm too short.

post-2231-0-99840300-1403851865_thumb.jpg

Guest Smimby

I tried a friend's Anthem 27.5 wheels last night - front is 100% - but rear - as I guessed is a no-go. Around 10mm too short.

Try a smaller volume Tyre, and the killer bee (I think that is what it is called)

Try a smaller volume Tyre, and the killer bee (I think that is what it is called)

Rather keep it real in 26er format and a larger volume tyre vs a larger rim and smaller volume tyre ... this is not a cyclocross bike for goodness sake!

Hey guys,

This is quite a tricky question, so I'm hoping one of you have either tried this, know of someone who did, or have a new 27'5 that can measure eveything up, so that I can be the guinea pig in trying it out.

I have a 2011 Trance Advanced SL - and I love it. I want to keep it, but I want to know if it is possible to buy the new Trance 27.5's rear triangle and swop them out, so that I can go 27.5 without having to discard my bike and then buy an new frame?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Photos of both bikes attached.

If you can get your frame to me, and I can find some spare time, I can try it out.

I have the Trance 27.5 2 (frame dimensions are the same)

BTW, where you you source the rear triangle and/or linkages from?

• 4 months later...