Bike finance - CRAZY EXPENSIVE

Vanzyl

I don't know me personally, if I wanted a "new ride/upgrade" and I couldn't afford one this is how I would go about it,

*start saving

* TROL the classifieds,

* ask around lots of mates always doing "upgrades" sitting with parts that are still 100% and you could slowly start building the bike you want piece by piece,

* I know plenty of bike shops who help guys with a loose second hand part here and there

* bikes generally have no F$%ckoll resale so there are a few rich buggers out there who buy a nice machine use it once or twice and it dies hanging in the garage, so place a ad asking for help! "good hardly used bike cheap cheap please help" , type of ad

I can honestly say, I have tried and failed every time to sell my bikes. Even at less than half of the new price after a few hundred kilometres done.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest EdEdEd

If you have to finance toys, do it!

But youll regret it!

I'd rather pay of my car and house debt (ive paid all my short term debt by just taking a different stand on my finances)

I have a "toys" bank account. EFT goes off every month - so far i couldnt get myself to buy toys with it! Its just too nice to know that if something happens - i can pay for it. (And we are getting our fence fixed up!)

We offer 6 months 0% finance on bikes £275 and up

We offer 12 months 0% finance on bikes £275 and up

We offer 18 months 0% finance on bikes of £500 and up

We offer 24 months 0% finance on bikes of £1000 and up

We offer 36 months 0% finance on bikes of £2000 and up

This is an example of a UK finance group, now I'm not moaning about financing, as mentioned by others it's your own choice to finance whatever you want regardless of what some here might believe!

But I do think finance for the first 12 months should be cheaper and then after that up to 5% or whatever! I used the uk model to buy my scott scale and it was brilliant.

Financing bikes is a great idea but the current finance plans are too expensive!!!

You can't compare finance in the UK to SA....then you also have to look at salary increases that are about 1%

A bicycle should not be financed...period

Why should bicycles not be financed? Some people finance motorbikes, boats and all sorts.....either way it's a hobby that is expensive, bicycles are so super expensive these days they need to be financed unless you have the money just lying around. Even the " cheap " bikes are really expensive, nobody is forcing anyone to finance their bikes but it's a nice option!

Any financial adviser would tell you it's a bad idea,

You finance fixed assets, and you pay them off ASAP

then you pay off debt that you have made over the years, cars, personal loans,

We all love bikes and we justify paying ridiculous money to have the newest, fastest, lightest, most travel but at the end of the day it's a toy/ hobby, financially you paying off something you don't NEED, it's not a must have, and if you need to finance a bike(due to lack of funds) I can almost guarantee you got MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO PAY FIRST.

This is an example of a UK finance group, now I'm not moaning about financing, as mentioned by others it's your own choice to finance whatever you want regardless of what some here might believe!

But I do think finance for the first 12 months should be cheaper and then after that up to 5% or whatever! I used the uk model to buy my scott scale and it was brilliant.

Financing bikes is a great idea but the current finance plans are too expensive!!!

It's called risk that's why SA debt and especially short term unsecured is so expensive

It's called risk that's why SA debt and especially short term unsecured is so expensive

We all love bikes and we justify paying ridiculous money to have the newest, fastest, lightest, most travel but at the end of the day it's a toy/ hobby, financially you paying off something you don't NEED, it's not a must have, and if you need to finance a bike(due to lack of funds) I can almost guarantee you got MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO PAY FIRST.

Los hom dips hy wil nie hoor nie

Agreed.

It is a want and no more than that. Problem being that a hell of a lot of people confuse need, want and nice to have.

We all have our own ways

If you need a bike then this can work if you can't wait

Don't judge because others can't buy outright

It is expensive but works for many

You a Pro or something ? Or do you need a commuter ?

Nobody else needs a bicycle.

If you want one, save up for it.

As said above, only use finance for fixed assets. Financing something that depreciates rapidly makes no sense and is a bad idea. If you can't afford it, don't buy it.

Los hom dips hy wil nie hoor nie

I am listening but I'm still entitled to an opinion no matter what you think. I never said anyone here should take out finance, I'm just saying it's rather expensive and that I'm sure there could be cheaper finance options out there.

sure there could be cheaper finance options out there.

There are.....take a second bond on your house.

A car or a house are a necessity but a luxury bike is an expensive toy.Yoys you buy cash or with a bonus.

A bike loses 40% of it's value in the first year.

There are.....take a second bond on your house.

A car or a house are a necessity but a luxury bike is an expensive toy.Yoys you buy cash or with a bonus.

A bike loses 40% of it's value in the first year.

Or if you have a large enough credit facility, use your credit card and utilise the 6 month interest free period that the majority of banks give you on purchases, from date of purchase.

Otherwise it's a personal loan. Or utilise your bond. The gap in interest rates is there for a reason.

Archived