Sani2c 2015

Gringo

Were you planning to ride S2C on Big Ed?

I had a better than expected Gravel and Grape and just started thinking about taking Big Ed. I will have to let that idea go now. I will also need a new helmet. Maybe I must sommer get (swimming) wings too.

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Final choice.........riding 11/42 with a 34T front, but should I change to 32T front for Sani, or even just day 2? Been riding up and down Breedts with my 34T and seems fine.

So went on my first ride with my new steed today (Scott Spark 930). Performed like a gem on the 80km trail around kyalami, carswold etc. The back shock needs a bit of a pump, but the remote lock out will come in handy on many of the fast district roads of Sani.

Chomping at the bit, can't wait.

Congrats. Better than rugby eh?

So went on my first ride with my new steed today (Scott Spark 930). Performed like a gem on the 80km trail around kyalami, carswold etc. The back shock needs a bit of a pump, but the remote lock out will come in handy on many of the fast district roads of Sani.

Chomping at the bit, can't wait.

The remote lockout is the reason I keep on choosing the Scott for stage races. It gives me a sense of control. Heads up. If your waterbottle presses against the switch on the rear shock it may not unlock fully.

The remote lockout is the reason I keep on choosing the Scott for stage races. It gives me a sense of control. Heads up. If your waterbottle presses against the switch on the rear shock it may not unlock fully.

Thanks, nah, don't have the water bottle issue, but I must say having one bottle cage is a tad annoying.  I will carry my second bottle in my shirt as I have a bag behind my seat.

Final choice.........riding 11/42 with a 34T front, but should I change to 32T front for Sani, or even just day 2? Been riding up and down Breedts with my 34T and seems fine.

you'll be fine on the 34. The climb really is not that bad

Thanks, nah, don't have the water bottle issue, but I must say having one bottle cage is a tad annoying.  I will carry my second bottle in my shirt as I have a bag behind my seat.

I doubt you'll need a second bottle, plenty water points en route.

This year will be my third Sani.  Year 1 we really didn't know what to expect, got an entry late and did "ok".  Many photos and chilled stops on the way.  Last year I rode with another friend and we wanted to clap it, but had a derailleur failure on his bike on day 1 which made him go SS for 30km, this broke our day 1 time and we went from A - G batch.  Starting the Umko in G batch in the trail is hard but we fought back to finish in 6hrs and jump back to C batch.  Day 3 was awesome and we finished it in 3hr42m. 

Anyway, as I'm keen on improving from last year, I did a quick check on my strava splits from last year to have a market to cycle toward.  It makes for interesting reading and thought I'd share.

Cheers.

post-24953-0-13743700-1430568987_thumb.png

I am from the north coast and as such have no warm cycling gear, is it necessary to have a Gilet or a long sleeve top for the mornings. I realise it depends on the weather at the time but in usual circumstances? Will it be ok to suffer on the start line in just bib and jersey and warm up when riding.

I am from the north coast and as such have no warm cycling gear, is it necessary to have a Gilet or a long sleeve top for the mornings. I realise it depends on the weather at the time but in usual circumstances? Will it be ok to suffer on the start line in just bib and jersey and warm up when riding.

It depends on jow tough you are 1st and 2nd mornings can be -2°

Yip 4 years ago there was snow on the mountains and -5 at the start so be prepared for anything. I have had rain and hail on the three that I have done so far.

I am from the north coast and as such have no warm cycling gear, is it necessary to have a Gilet or a long sleeve top for the mornings. I realise it depends on the weather at the time but in usual circumstances? Will it be ok to suffer on the start line in just bib and jersey and warm up when riding.

Definitely buy some arm warmers at least. I I will be wearing a base layer under my jersey plus arm warmers. Still deciding about my leg warmers but will try brave it without them. 

Leg warmers are not necessary. Buy a gillet and get arm warmers. You won't need more

I doubt you'll need a second bottle, plenty water points en route.

Use a second bottle to switch between 32GI and water.  Ye, the water points are AWESOME at Sani.

Leg warmers are not necessary. Buy a gillet and get arm warmers. You won't need more

It can be VERY cold at the start, but the days quickly heat up.  2 years ago, we rode in a tropical storm basically and we quickly shed our kit as we climbed up the umko.

Archived