[Event] MTN National MTB Series #8 Ride Crater Cruise Driven By NISSAN

WesselvdWalt

Noob question

Years back (4 years or so) was the crater race not always 105 km plus? ?

Only once I think and by mistake for our batch, we were sent out to the right at the start and went out for 5km before realising something was wrong, headed back to the start and then had to do the full route - always fun doing a 10km warm up before you actually head out on the normal route.. :-) this was quite a few years back..

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to give the Ultra a miss and just do the 80km.

Wessel, will this be as tough as the other MTN races in the series. Last one I did was Van Gaalens.

I've never ridden in or around Parys before. Driving through there it has never really struck me as a very hilly area or am I mistaken?

I'm going to give the Ultra a miss and just do the 80km.

Wessel, will this be as tough as the other MTN races in the series. Last one I did was Van Gaalens.

I've never ridden in or around Parys before. Driving through there it has never really struck me as a very hilly area or am I mistaken?

Crater Cruise is nothing like Van Gaalens. Alot more district roads and not that much technical stuff. It can be deceptively tough especially when its hot. The long stretches of corrugated roads ware you done slowly and then they throw a couple of nasty pieces in at the end that hurts.

Crater Cruise is nothing like Van Gaalens. Alot more district roads and not that much technical stuff. It can be deceptively tough especially when its hot. The long stretches of corrugated roads ware you done slowly and then they throw a couple of nasty pieces in at the end that hurts.

Thanks. I get that it's not as technical but is it also quite tough with a decent amount of climbing or is it a more "tame" Marathon with some corrugated bits?

I have a mate who is doing his first Marathon. Trying to figure out whether this is a good idea given the general standard of the MTN races.

Thanks. I get that it's not as technical but is it also quite tough with a decent amount of climbing or is it a more "tame" Marathon with some corrugated bits?

I have a mate who is doing his first Marathon. Trying to figure out whether this is a good idea given the general standard of the MTN races.

It's hilly but there's no mountains. The "Classic" 100 plus km route had less than 1000m of climbing. The longest climb on that route was 5km which is not in the 80km. The race is hard because the average speed is just much higher ie. the "Classic" 100 plus route record is 03:28min, compared to a "usual" 4:30min plus finish time for the "normal" series "Ultra". The new route in the Ultra this year will add approximately up to 45min to the route. The routes have been made harder over the past 3 years to make it more mountain biking than a gravel road race. The 80km will be easier than any of the other events in the MTN National MTB series driven by NISSAN.

I'm still awaiting the route profiles.

It was mainly on dirt roads,a few climbs, nothing hectic, at least the 100 k used to be. Heat, sand, and corrugated roads were the only factors. But now they changing the routes to fit in with marathon / ultra formula (I guess, but it ain't bust bro!) so until I see I route map, I cant say how tough the marathon will be c.f. VG or any other event.

Parys side is flat, but the mountains you cut through aren't. and they are the remnants of the rebound in the centre of the crater from a massive impact a few billion years ago, the biggest and oldest known.

Do a Dirtmax to get the feeling of the area and terrain, its in the same area.

Just wandering if the new routes and profiles are up on the web-site yet.Its now done through advendurance.A few years back the crater cruise had its own web site.

I am also thinking of doing the 80km instead of the 100km +..But before i downgrade I want to know if that awesome waterpoint that saved my life last yr will be in the 80km too.. (the water point next to the river)? That's an awesome waterpoint.. was so nice I spent 30min there cooling off and eating nice treats.

The heat and the sand nearly killed me last yr lol.

Edited by Gen

Guys this year the Ultra is 115km with about 500m more climbing with much more mountain biking :)

That's for the ultra athletes, the guys who take the sport very seriously. ie not me.

Too bad the 'classic' has been dumped, I was really dialed in that route. Hope the 80 k's is not too dumbed down.

Just received the route files!

More info to follow, soon!

Good, because I am not packing my bike up and flying with it to JHB again so riding on my boyfriend's 26er...so I need to think carefully about doing the 40km or the marathon on a strange bike,

That's for the ultra athletes, the guys who take the sport very seriously. ie not me.

or for the stupid people like me. :blink:

Guys this year the Ultra is 115km with about 500m more climbing with much more mountain biking :)

How does it compare to the van Gaalens race in technicality.

i cant seem to enter, as the website doing the entries, keeps on going back to the page where i insert my details, once i have selected the distance i wanne ride and hit next?

i have also asked for assitance on the crater cruise / advenduarance website and no feedback???

is it just me or anybody else with same issues?