[Event] MTN National MTB Series #8 Ride Crater Cruise Driven By NISSAN

WesselvdWalt

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's on the actual 4x4 route it would be short steep very technical climbs. I camped there last year for the Crater Cruise.

Hallo Wessel .Kan 80 verander word na 115 .Reeds ingeskryf vir 80km

Yes ons kan jou help.

email info@saseeding.co.za en hulle sal jou uithelp.

Groete,

Wessel

I've emailed a request through to the organizers but have not yet had a response: The entry form doesn't have an option for single speed riders. How would they know how many are entering and the positions of the riders (part from the obvious: by checking at the finish line)

I've emailed a request through to the organizers but have not yet had a response: The entry form doesn't have an option for single speed riders. How would they know how many are entering and the positions of the riders (part from the obvious: by checking at the finish line)

Due to the lack in last years singlespeed entrants the organisers and owner of the event decided to do away with it for 2014.

The website still reflects the singlespeed option in the description, this will be removed asap.

The roadies can still go do the 80km... :whistling: :ph34r:

But that's what I am hoping is not the case, that the 80 k's is a dumbed-down version of the classic, First half is uncharted territory for me, beside the end/start section that you come back on.

Edited by kosmonooit

The roadies can still go do the 80km... :whistling: :ph34r:

Awesome then that is what I am going to do on my borrowed 26er, decided! Unless someone else has a 29er for me. Did a 118km dirt roadie race in Cederberg today so am feeling prepared to tackle 80km with altitude. Boyf is doing the ultra, sniff. Fly all the way from Cape Town to Jozi for the weekend to race on my ace. I think the boy is scared I might be gaining on him. :ph34r:

I'll might see you there at the blunt end of the race CnC, just make sure you pack your sense of humour for the sand and corrugations. Hope the veld has not burnt, because that makes for a grim landscape.

I'll might see you there at the blunt end of the race CnC, just make sure you pack your sense of humour for the sand and corrugations. Hope the veld has not burnt, because that makes for a grim landscape.

Wonderful, sounds as beautiful a ride as I expect when I move to JHB next year :mellow: Thanks for the heads up. We had a sand section around 115km mark in my race yesterday near the end and i almost had SOH failure. Also: we had the Clanwilliam dam and lush mountains. Ahhhh my riding life as I know it feels like it is coming to an end!

Don't despair, despite any grimness, the Vredefort (aka Vredevrot) Dome complex is a very special area. The mountains that the route cuts through are remnants of the most ancient and largest impact crater known. But they are not the outer rims of the crater, its the central rebound of the impact. This is a feature of craters of a certain size.

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/lunar/missions/orbiter/images/5lo125m_lg.gif

wow thanks, am googling it. So interesting and looks quite beautiful actually! Very bosveld like :)

It was only sussed out in the mid 1990's, the smoking gun was when they found shatter cones in those ridges, that is the way some of the rock shattered due the impact pressure wave. That impact also bent down an alluvial plain containing all that gold, storing it for future extraction, which is the reason I guess we are all here in 'rand, so its important to pay homage to the Table Mountain-sized meteorite that bullseye-d the dorp of Vredfort.

Edited by kosmonooit