XTR Flow vs ZTR Arch Ex???

Guillaumevn

Went with Flow EX on Novatec hubs,damn are they bomb proof,makes your tire look bigger than the size states.I weigh between 95-98kg it's up and down all the time,gonna put some Hopes on when I got some bucks. I when twitch brass nipples and double butted Pillar spokes. Gained about 150-200 grams from my previous wheelset.

Arch are not as wide as the Flows. Wide lightening rider weight limit is 225lbs. I went through all these options. Wanted the Wide lightenings but too heavy for them so my choice for a nice wide, strong rim and wheel is Flow rims on hope hubs. Wide rims are much better in my opinion. I have tried them all.

Ag nee man, now I'm wondering if I should go with the Flow rims instead of Arch. I'm 95kg in full kit. I'm not overly concerned about weight(except my own) but want wheels to last without to much maintenance. I think my LBS will change the Arches for Flows when they build the wheels at month end. Please help me decide hubbers with experience.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ag nee man, now I'm wondering if I should go with the Flow rims instead of Arch. I'm 95kg in full kit. I'm not overly concerned about weight(except my own) but want wheels to last without to much maintenance. I think my LBS will change the Arches for Flows when they build the wheels at month end. Please help me decide hubbers with experience.

Flow = better than Arch. SLightly heavier, quite a bit stronger and a bit wider. I'm 105kg (excl kit) and those are the ones I'd go for.

Here are some measurements for the ZTR Rims in this thread

Arch - width 24.4mm (ISO width 19mm) weight 420g

Arch EX - width 24.6mm (ISO width 21mm) weight 400g

Flow - width 28mm (ISO width 22.6mm) weight 470g

Flow EX - width 29.1mm (ISO width 25.5mm) weight 490g

*these are for 26" rims

**ISO refers to the inner width at bead hook

Flow = better than Arch. SLightly heavier, quite a bit stronger and a bit wider. I'm 105kg (excl kit) and those are the ones I'd go for.

Thank you captain, I've been reading more now and this definitely seems a better option for me in the long run.

Here are some measurements for the ZTR Rims in this thread

Arch - width 24.4mm (ISO width 19mm) weight 420g

Arch EX - width 24.6mm (ISO width 21mm) weight 400g

Flow - width 28mm (ISO width 22.6mm) weight 470g

Flow EX - width 29.1mm (ISO width 25.5mm) weight 490g

*these are for 26" rims

**ISO refers to the inner width at bead hook

Thanks Flowta, I'm on 29er but doing more research now on this. Arch vs Flow not 29er vs 26er.

Thanks Flowta, I'm on 29er but doing more research now on this. Arch vs Flow not 29er vs 26er.

The widths are the same regardless of rim diameter.

To help you out

http://www.notubes.com/ZTR-Arch-29-32-Hole-Black-P179.aspx

http://www.notubes.com/ZTR-Arch-EX-29-32-Hole-Black-P891.aspx

http://www.notubes.com/ZTR-Flow-29-36-Hole-Black-P337.aspx

http://www.notubes.com/ZTR-Flow-EX-29-32-Hole-Black-P968.aspx

Flows bro. Go wide. Tiny bit heavier.

Sorry Bullet I forgot about my kit so looking at more like it will be+- 100kg or slightly over

Arch is strong but not as wide as the Flow,can't really say if the Flow would be any stronger than the Arch. Looked at a couple of rims coming out and they all going wider now and one thing I found is that the width makes the wheel more stable and you can go with lower pressures. I know how you feel but go look at some reviews of both and make your mind up from there. All I can say is if you go FlowEX you will not regret it.

Edited by MariusKlokie

Thanks Marius, I've decided to go with the Flow rims now. Every bit of info and advice I can get is that the Flows are better for me. Waiting for LBS to confirm they can do the swop.

Thanks Marius, I've decided to go with the Flow rims now. Every bit of info and advice I can get is that the Flows are better for me. Waiting for LBS to confirm they can do the swop.

Cool enjoy.

not to be an ass - but must disagree

You're an ass :P

A simple real-world comparison of an identical rim with thick straight-gauge spokes vs the same with some DT revolutions will demonstrate otherwise.Or do some reading - http://sheldonbrown....wheel/index.htm

Edited by niterider

Since it looks like Bullet has decided what he's going with, Id like to ask some recomendations on this same topic. Dont want to start a new thread.

I Recently moved to a 29er from my trusty Zula. So far enjoying it but while my Zula was 11,6kg my new bike is a Rocky Mountain element 930 Ful sus @ 13.2kg. So the first things Im replacing is cranks and wheels which should knock off almost a full kg.

Reg the wheels. I weight 68kg, I ride smooth and am really not heavy on wheels but I do hit the jumps and do like to push it on the technical downhills.

I was running Sun Equiliser 23 rims(410g) laced(DT Revolution) to Hope Pro 2 hubs on my Zula. I was very happy with them and never had to true them, only had the rear tensioned once.

Theres a set of Crests on the hub for R750 a op right now. I'll build whatever rims I choose onto my hopes with DT competition spokes(might be a bit stiffer on the bigger wheels)

Will I be OK on the Crests?

If not who stocks the Arch EX 's ?

Replies apprechated

Edited by Bos

I weigh the same as you Bos, and destroyed two sets of one crest and then crest EX. Moved to Arch Ex and haven't had any problems.

I ride aggressively and hit every jump I can, but wouldn't you rather have the confidence knowing that if something goes wrong your rim won't deform like butter? 50g weight penalty between Arch and Crest.

Most of the online local stores have the rims, and I got a sweet deal on an Arch EX, Chris king hubs and Phil wood spokes wheelset from CWC for 11k.