Collection of Routes (KML/GPX/etc) for Google Database

Raydek

Since I started riding last year I have been mapping my routes with GPS and saving them to my Google Earth account.

Reading a post today sparked a thought I had some time ago... Would people be interested in a nation wide database of trails that they can review by location/area, grab the profiles and even download the data file for their preferred GPS device.

It could even go as far as listing costs for the trail for non members, access times if any, nearby services, accommodation if needed, etc.. the list can really go on forever.

I know there was also someone posting about making an events website last month, that could also be something that could be linked.

My main concerns are...

Firstly, would riders be willing to share their data files with me (as much as I would love to ride all the trails to collect the data myself, I would need to rely on you for the data), secondly, would this idea p1ss anyone off, i.e. bike clubs, land owners, etc.

I know there are sites out there that offer route info like http://www.mtbroutes.co.za/ based on location, but I just think that this would be mainly focused at being able to download the trail data file.

I suppose as well that most trails (or at least the ones I've ridden) are clearly marked, so there might not be a need for this at all..

So basically what I'm asking is whether this idea is just a wasted cause and I should leave it as my own private database or whether riders, especially those visiting new areas or trails for the first time, would be interested in access to it.

If there is an interest, please feel free to send data files to routecollection@gmail.com and I will start this endeavor.

post-49286-0-23365700-1405081828_thumb.jpg

post-49286-0-11327700-1405081844_thumb.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this would be really cool, It would be nice to have some sort of a filter type function as well such as, filter by distance, climbing etc... it could really work, the reason I say a filter function is if it had to take off there are so many routes around and different variations of routes that you would end up looking at a map with a million squiggly lines on it not knowing exactly what you are looking at.

It would be awesome having something where you can go online and decide for instance "I want to do a 40km ride" or "Ive got 2 hours to spare where can I ride" That would be really appealing!

Great idea!

I think this would be really cool, It would be nice to have some sort of a filter type function as well such as, filter by distance, climbing etc... it could really work, the reason I say a filter function is if it had to take off there are so many routes around and different variations of routes that you would end up looking at a map with a million squiggly lines on it not knowing exactly what you are looking at.

It would be awesome having something where you can go online and decide for instance "I want to do a 40km ride" or "Ive got 2 hours to spare where can I ride" That would be really appealing!

Great idea!

Yeah for sure....

I am able to make the route lines in different colours, so could use the same colours as the current trail grading system, so green, yellow, blue, red, black (might be tricky to see), etc.

The filtering system (top left of the pics attached above) on GE is a bit limiting, but in the end I could just load the same map under different categories that can then be filtered, i.e. Western Cape will have a sub heading from area's and also for distance and then for example Contermanskloof will be listed under Northern Suburbs and also under 10-15km... Might need some refinement, but doable.

This weekend I was playing around with linking trails without having to ride them in the order that I want to link them, it is possible with a .gpx editor, but takes much time and in the end, riding them it more accurate and more fun.. It just the amount of combinations that can be ridden that makes it tricky...

In the end, being supplied the files by riders from around the country would mean that they would just need to be refined, filtered as desired and uploaded. No editing required... And then updated as the trails change.

I really appreciate the feedback and will look into better filtering ways..

Edit:

I have also being playing with Google Maps Creator., this way people can access routes via Google Maps and not just Google Earth, as not everyone has GE app on their devices. The routes can then be tagged with distance etc and should be filterable (is that a word???), but not sure if you can then download the route as you can in GE...

Investigation continues......

Edited by Raydek

• 2 weeks later...

It seems we need a SA cycle route site and I see lots of chatter but nothing happening.

I have a server and would be open to getting involved in creating a site we can all dump out routes on.

Dave

It seems we need a SA cycle route site and I see lots of chatter but nothing happening.

I have a server and would be open to getting involved in creating a site we can all dump out routes on.

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks, nice to know.. It just seems like riders aren't to interested in it, or they don't want to share their files...

Weird..

I think there is a lack of interest because most of Hubbers are Strava junkies and there you can find almost all trails etc except of-cause any routes done by the Epic racers !

I think there is a lack of interest because most of Hubbers are Strava junkies and there you can find almost all trails etc except of-cause any routes done by the Epic racers !

I really don't get the whole Strava thing, downloaded it twice, used it twice, deleted it twice... What am I missing??? Other than the fact that you can dl routes...

Since I started riding last year I have been mapping my routes with GPS and saving them to my Google Earth account.

Reading a post today sparked a thought I had some time ago... Would people be interested in a nation wide database of trails that they can review by location/area, grab the profiles and even download the data file for their preferred GPS device.

It could even go as far as listing costs for the trail for non members, access times if any, nearby services, accommodation if needed, etc.. the list can really go on forever.

I know there was also someone posting about making an events website last month, that could also be something that could be linked.

My main concerns are...

Firstly, would riders be willing to share their data files with me (as much as I would love to ride all the trails to collect the data myself, I would need to rely on you for the data), secondly, would this idea p1ss anyone off, i.e. bike clubs, land owners, etc.

I know there are sites out there that offer route info like http://www.mtbroutes.co.za/ based on location, but I just think that this would be mainly focused at being able to download the trail data file.

I suppose as well that most trails (or at least the ones I've ridden) are clearly marked, so there might not be a need for this at all..

So basically what I'm asking is whether this idea is just a wasted cause and I should leave it as my own private database or whether riders, especially those visiting new areas or trails for the first time, would be interested in access to it.

If there is an interest, please feel free to send data files to routecollection@gmail.com and I will start this endeavor.

pm sent

Normally when looking for trails my first stop is Garmin Connect, purely because I cannot be bothered with Strava/Endomondo. There you'll find the tracks for popular riding places/races, but you'll be lucky to find lekker trails in the real fun areas.

I do a fair amount of "adventure biking" which involves a huge amount of time on Google Earth checking for footpaths and cattle tracks and then scouting the routes.These routes are nearly always in homelands (RSA, Lesotho, Swaziland) to get round land access, ironically where some of the best riding occurs.

I'd love to share these routes and tap into the experiences of others. But it will take a bit of work to be able to take, say, my routes and package them to the point where anybody with a GPS can just go and ride them and not get unstuck.

Really thought there would be more interest in this...

There are already a number of apps that offer this....probably why

Just saying

Just don't give away the position of the secluded trails to the criminals that want our blood (and bikes)!!!???