Collection of Routes (KML/GPX/etc) for Google Database

Raydek

There are already a number of apps that offer this....probably why

Just saying

For sure, totally get this, but not sure if I am just not looking at the right apps as I just can't seem to find ones that work the way I envisage they should.

Which ones are you referring to?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For sure, totally get this, but not sure if I am just not looking at the right apps as I just can't seem to find ones that work the way I envisage they should.

Which ones are you referring to?

Strava

Endomondo

Garmin connect

All of them have huge communities, so big collection of rides...all of them integrate with google earth so you can exactly see where the trails are / go to. All of them have the functionality to export to GPX which you can then upload into your device as a course.

How do you envisage it working btw?

I would love to see a an Sa specific bike trails site that actually had a comprehensive countrywide listing, some amazing sites that cater to the Us/Europe markets.

Strava

Endomondo

Garmin connect

All of them have huge communities, so big collection of rides...all of them integrate with google earth so you can exactly see where the trails are / go to. All of them have the functionality to export to GPX which you can then upload into your device as a course.

Don't know yet,

I've been using Endomondo for just over a year, but now Ive purchased the Garmin 800 so I have Garmin Connect, I have a strava account so I'll go look around there

I think the idea is a place where we could combine routes between all the Commercial sites for the Southern Africa

I obviously haven't though this through yet, don't tell my wife.

It has to be able to download all three file formats. I think the best would be to take everything from all three sites and create 1 south african site that has everything all three have.

D

Strava

Endomondo

Garmin connect

I must be honest, I don't have much experience with Strava or Garmin Connect and only a bit with Endomondo, but if the others are anything like Endomondo the information is just collected from users and dumped into the app/website, there is not filtering or checking of information. You can end up with 10 slightly different versions of one trail layered on top of one another. Granted, you can just choose one to use, but the information provided can also be limited. You get the basic trial info (profile, grades, dist, etc), but what about access times and cost, nearby facilities etc.

I do very much like the navigational aspect of Endomondo, scrolling around a map to filter trails to the area you are viewing. This is very much what I had in mind, maybe just a bit more refined. Again, not sure if Strava/GC are anything like this... AFAIK you also need to pay a membership fee for access to these two?

There are many ideas that I have, not sure if all are possible though, but do think that I need to look into Strava and GC a bit more.

I just think there could be a more to the point, maintained, one place for all trails website/facility that isn't linked to one specific device or application.

I must be honest, I don't have much experience with Strava or Garmin Connect and only a bit with Endomondo, but if the others are anything like Endomondo the information is just collected from users and dumped into the app/website, there is not filtering or checking of information. You can end up with 10 slightly different versions of one trail layered on top of one another. Granted, you can just choose one to use, but the information provided can also be limited. You get the basic trial info (profile, grades, dist, etc), but what about access times and cost, nearby facilities etc.

I do very much like the navigational aspect of Endomondo, scrolling around a map to filter trails to the area you are viewing. This is very much what I had in mind, maybe just a bit more refined. Again, not sure if Strava/GC are anything like this... AFAIK you also need to pay a membership fee for access to these two?

There are many ideas that I have, not sure if all are possible though, but do think that I need to look into Strava and GC a bit more.

I just think there could be a more to the point, maintained, one place for all trails website/facility that isn't linked to one specific device or application.

Uploading all my rides to Strava so I can get a feel for it.

Uploading all my rides to Strava so I can get a feel for it.

Cool, any feedback would be appreciated.

For 650 bucks a year, naaaa. I'm good...

Strava is free. I dunno, there something about competing against yourself and others. Some people obviously take it waaay too seriously, but it can be very fun.

cool idea, but there are already other platforms for this.

mapmyride etc

Yeah, checked mapmyride out, probably the closest to what I am trying to achieve, but less singular app orientated and more concentrated on SA.

Also where the trails are controlled and uploaded by admin and not users of a particular app, therefore eliminating duplicates and unfinished trail routes.

Spent 24 hrs on Strava and I know why

As in 24 hours straight cause it's so good, or 24 hours and you're done, not going back to it

??

I'd have to say its pretty good

Not sure how to re create all the segments stuff and the leader boards but I like them

Courses and Course editing weak, found my self another app

Heres me

http://www.strava.com/athletes/davevdm

My priority on a web app has always been finding better tracks and what no one offers is a safety rating by users on a road.

Before we can start I really need to figure out everything about the route files so I'm doing quit a lot of investigation.

D

I'd have to say its pretty good

Not sure how to re create all the segments stuff and the leader boards but I like them

Courses and Course editing weak, found my self another app

Heres me

http://www.strava.com/athletes/davevdm

My priority on a web app has always been finding better tracks and what no one offers is a safety rating by users on a road.

Before we can start I really need to figure out everything about the route files so I'm doing quit a lot of investigation.

D

Do you use the term 'course' for Strava 'route'? (I see you created a test route) If yes - would be keen to hear what you found that is better? Personally I found the Strava RouteMaster (http://engineering.strava.com/routemaster/) extremely easy and good - especially merging road and mtb tracks into a single route. Pity the routes and route builder it is not in the API V3 (yet).

Archived