Bike Trailer Build

zappa

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Need to work on your welding a bit.... alternately on your grinding..... :)

Lots of paint to hide the welds.

With the twin spare wheels, the farm and the Disco I see in the background, I assume you are going to do some rough roads. Make sure you have proper mudflaps on your tow vehicle when doing fast dirt or your bikes will get stone chipped. A shade net between trailer and car also works well. For any bumpy bad roads, tie the bikes down with straps over and above the Thule racks holding them. Those racks are simply not designed for the severe side to side movements you get with a trailer bouncing over bumpy roads, especially with a light load.

With the twin spare wheels, the farm and the Disco I see in the background, I assume you are going to do some rough roads. Make sure you have proper mudflaps on your tow vehicle when doing fast dirt or your bikes will get stone chipped. A shade net between trailer and car also works well. For any bumpy bad roads, tie the bikes down with straps over and above the Thule racks holding them. Those racks are simply not designed for the severe side to side movements you get with a trailer bouncing over bumpy roads, especially with a light load.

Thanks DJR. Unfortunately the Disco isnt mine, but are planning some dirt roads in Zim. Will definitely strap front end of bikes down. As you say, too much sideways movement, always looks as if they're going to "bliksem" off when checking in mirror.

Nice build!

Make sure you build in some security into the trailer so it can't be unhitched easily, will be a lot of dollars worth of gear on that thing when fully loaded.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to see your genious now: Water tank + gas bottle holder = fresh espresso at the start and finish of every ride, no matter where you travel with your bikes! :thumbup: All you need for a classy cafe is an umbrella and a folding chair or two, and I see enough room for that on the trailer!