2015 S Works Epic

Johny Bravo

Johnny, I know this is about S-Works and the new bike, but lets see what one can get for a lot less.

FSR, the patent Specialized own, Fact carbon technology, the S-Works uses Fact 10,11m,12 or whatever carbon for the current year.

Now let's take the comp carbon.

Allo rear stays that weigh a little, not much more than carbon stays, carbon front triangle (using 9m carbon), same geometry, same FSR and brain.

Yes the S-Works has all the top end components, yes it's a light bike and as I said a real work of art.

But we take R 50 K and for 20 or 30 more you can buy another model that actually reaches 90 % of what the S-Works has on offer.

To be honest (and yes I know I will get flamed for this) too often people get carried away with image.

I 'fixed' your post above. The sworks frame uses better carbon than the standard comp carbon frame. Will be lighter & stiffer = better performing.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovely, I can`t understand why the suspension manufacturers have taken so long to develop u/s down forks for bicycles given the superior stiffness this offers as per the development of motorcycle suspension.

I 'fixed' your post above. The sworks frame uses better carbon than the standard comp carbon frame. Will be lighter & stiffer = better performing.

Lighter but not stiffer and better performing regardless of what the marketing people say.

I used the numbers as an example , whether it's 10m or 11m.

But thanks for fixing it for me.

Now all the people that bought an S-Works three years ago with 9m carbon are riding comp carbons.

That's the crux of it, at what price do people want to be "in fashion" and how much difference does it really make ?

Sauser will be able to tell you, a guy that is already super lean and can't lose any more body weight at the detriment of being way too lean for ultra events, he needs his bike to be as light as possible, to extent where he even asks for a frame to be raw with no clear coat.

Popeye won the World Champs on an S-Works with M5 tubing in 2003, that same tubing is now on the Epic comp which has exactly the same geometry as the S-Works (not talking about the World Cup model)

The Marathon is using 10m carbon with an M5 seat stay, in the end of the day, todays S-Works is tomorrows Marathon.

Lovely, I can`t understand why the suspension manufacturers have taken so long to develop u/s down forks for bicycles given the superior stiffness this offers as per the development of motorcycle suspension.

It was done a few years back as well.

I had a Marzocchi Bomber RAC a few years back, sold it with my bike and for long I regretted doing so.

Edited by Wyatt Earp

weight / stiffness basically. The moto guys have a lot more material to work with and weight isn't as much of a problem as on MTB. The cross-bridge on MTB forks is an integral feature to improve stiffness in the forks. Until recently they weren't able to make a light enough fork without letting it flex more than a teen gymnast. Now, with the carbon tech in the RS1, they have.

It was done a few years back as well.

I had a Marzocchi Bomber RAC a few years back, sold it with my bike and for long I regretted doing so.

Yeah - check the brace on it at the top! Also - Marz's bigger stanchions really helped with the stiffness there. First composite carbon fork.

Lighter but not stiffer and better performing regardless of what the marketing people say.

I used the numbers as an example , whether it's 10m or 11m.

But thanks for fixing it for me.

Now all the people that bought an S-Works three years ago with 9m carbon are riding comp carbons.

That's the crux of it, at what price do people want to be "in fashion" and how much difference does it really make ?

Sauser will be able to tell you, a guy that is already super lean and can't lose any more body weight at the detriment of being way too lean for ultra events, he needs his bike to be as light as possible, to extent where he even asks for a frame to be raw with no clear coat.

Popeye won the World Champs on an S-Works with M5 tubing in 2003, that same tubing is now on the Epic comp which has exactly the same geometry as the S-Works (not talking about the World Cup model)

The Marathon is using 10m carbon with an M5 seat stay, in the end of the day, todays S-Works is tomorrows Marathon.

Unfortunately its the same with the pricing. In 2013 a S works Epic was R78 000, I think? In 2014 the Marathon is R 75 000. So ja.

weight / stiffness basically. The moto guys have a lot more material to work with and weight isn't as much of a problem as on MTB. The cross-bridge on MTB forks is an integral feature to improve stiffness in the forks. Until recently they weren't able to make a light enough fork without letting it flex more than a teen gymnast. Now, with the carbon tech in the RS1, they have.

I can't believe it took 309 posts to get to an actual post about the bike, components etc and not just the price and whether it is prudent to spend that much on a bike.

On that note, it would be interesting to see the split between 1 x 11 and 2 x 10 setups at this year's Epic (and 3 x 10 for good measure).

I just did a few googles on the price, and noted that the 2013 (launched in 2012) RRP was just under $10k. R/$ average at time of launch was R8.5 to $1 The 2014 (launched last year) RRP was about $10k. R9.50 to $1, and the average price I seem to get on RRP for the 2015 is $10 500, we are now at R10.7 to $1. So the actual cost issue seems more to be our government than Spez increasing at higher than inflation.... Not bad increases considering the R&D investment efforts that they have made in the last few years. For me, my Expert upgraded to XTR is more than good enough.

Is the first pic on the thread the new 2015 world cup model and the rest of the pics posted the standard epic? Cause why has the first pic not got that extra carbon piece on the frame just above the rear shock?

First pic is of the new Ere Woman's bike. The world cup still has old shock on it and not the RS1

First pic is of the new Ere Woman's bike. The world cup still has old shock on it and not the RS1

Hi Bellscycling, you guy's enjoy the #Dealerevent, must be a great vibe out there :thumbup: .

Why does anybody want their suspension to be stiff ????.So i am paying ++++++++ZAR to have a k@#$%er ride

Lets just stop the speculation... Full specs in pictures of both World Cup S-works and Regular Sworks Epic. They are priced at R129 999 for normal S-Works and R112 999 for WC version.

gallery_3208_22_411294.jpg

gallery_3208_22_603451.jpg

Why does anybody want their suspension to be stiff ????.So i am paying ++++++++ZAR to have a k@#$%er ride

NO MAN. Get educated on the difference between structural rigidity (stiffness) and a "stiff ride"

Stiffness in the suspension world basically means lack of flex. Flex = BAD. It makes your wheels track badly, and unpredictably. You want a fork to be as stiff as possible (structurally) without being too heavy.

As for the suspension itself (action) you want that to be sensitive to small bumps, but not blow through the travel when the going gets rough - firm, in other words.

Thanks, Yeah Nico had loads of fun testing all the new bikes

when you have details on the new Camber, please share with us. I know a lot of us are very interested, and especially keen to know if we will get the Evo versions and the S works frame only option. Very very keen on a S works Camber this year.