MTB for heavy rider (105kg)

spano

Hello Everyone,

I have a friend who likes to hit the gym quite often and hence weighs about 105kgs...

He and his wife are looking to start cycling and want to buy MTB's.

His budget is about R 10 000 - 12 000 per bike.

Currently he is looking at the Silverback Sola 2 or the Scott Scale 960 but he is a little concerned that he might be to heavy for these??

what do you recommend? any suggestions or other options he can consider?

only thing that breaks for heavy people are wheels, just make sure its got a good wheelset, and if its just gravel roads, then most would probably work.

Im not sure how good the wheels on those bikes are, call me a snob, but I only ride good brand wheels, (Spank and Easton's). But Im also 100kg+ and havent had a problem with them. cheap wheels in my book is a no-no, and those dont look like sweet hoops.

Search the hub, think somewhere there was a thread about people talking about how those syncros on the scott were useless.

EDIT:

As for suggestions, I dont have any, my view of MTB's are dated, I still believe 26 :whistling:

Edited by braailegend

I have bent the rear skewer before and replaced it with better ones on a hardtail. Have not had that again but then struggled with pinching till I put better tyers and pumped them to 2 bar and not the 1.9 that every website said. Gaint Talon and started at 120 kg. Now 105.

I don't think either of the 2 bikes will be an issue. He should ask the shop to replace the wheels with something rated for heavier riders when he buys it. Then at least he won't pay for wheels he might need to replace soon afterwards. Most LBS should be willing to do this at the time of purchase.

Agree with the above statements.....Braailegend and Pulse specific. Have a look at the wheelset on the bike. My gravity profile allows me to fall in the Buffalo category (103kg). A while back I considered the Silverback Sola 1 because of its value for money spent. It however is sold with ZTR Crest wheels (rim) that apparently has a max weight rating of 87kgs (do a search for Silverback Sola 1 in forums section). Lost interest in the bike when Silverback distributors (not the bike shop) indicated that they can't change the standard wheelset to ZTR Arch that has a higher rider weight rating.

Bought a Momsen with the Arch wheelset.......still going strong (the bike, not.the rider - hills are a killer, but the downhills are a hoot).

As for suggestions, I dont have any, my view of MTB's are dated, I still believe 26 :whistling:

..........because there is less material that can be bent on a 26 wheelset, with a smaller wheel being more stiff than the bigger wheels.......just speak to any owner and you will find out how stiff and rigid these guys are........!!!!!!!

Lekker Friday for everyone..........

..........because there is less material that can be bent on a 26 wheelset, with a smaller wheel being more stiff than the bigger wheels.......just speak to any owner and you will find out how stiff and rigid these guys are........!!!!!!!

Lekker Friday for everyone..........

LOL!!!

Physics dictates that a 26" will be stronger/stiffer than a 29" wheel (all things being equal).

Then again strong enough is strong enough.

Whatever bike he gets, regardless of whether he sticks with OEM or gets other wheels. Try to have them built or at least checked over by a "reputable" wheelbuilder.

I learnt the hard way about having just any LBS look at your wheels, after losing some skin and almost a broken arm and helmet, I ended up doing a better job myself.

LOL!!!

Physics dictates that a 26" will be stronger/stiffer than a 29" wheel (all things being equal).

Then again strong enough is strong enough.

Whatever bike he gets, regardless of whether he sticks with OEM or gets other wheels. Try to have them built or at least checked over by a "reputable" wheelbuilder.

I learnt the hard way about having just any LBS look at your wheels, after losing some skin and almost a broken arm and helmet, I ended up doing a better job myself.

........GRAVITY......the only constant.....according to physics.

........GRAVITY......the only constant.....according to physics.

The only CONSTANT.

Yes, but I don't recall using that word

EDIT: Then again you may be referring to my impact with the dirt (aka rocks in that instance).

Edited by Flowta

The only CONSTANT.

Yes, but I don't recall using that word

EDIT: Then again you may be referring to my impact with the dirt (aka rocks in that instance).

Yip, spot on........because "big" G is approximately 6.67×10−11 N·(m/kg), but more importantly......."small" g is a constant 9.8m/s acceleration force on earth.........so vertical force is constant......so the higher you ride the harder you fall.

......but then again, the horisontal force.......eish!!!!!!

(Friday Fun Facts)

.......t

A simple question turned into a physics lesson.

Simple answer: Basically any bike you like, with stronger wheels if you're concerned.

Bikes are generally designed to take a beating so a bit of extra weight will not make much difference. the only time it would will be if you're hitting it hard. And if he's "starting out" , he won't be.

Done.

A simple question turned into a physics lesson.

Simple answer: Basically any bike you like, with stronger wheels if you're concerned.

Bikes are generally designed to take a beating so a bit of extra weight will not make much difference. the only time it would will be if you're hitting it hard. And if he's "starting out" , he won't be.

Done.

Fair enough, good response.

I still stand by getting the wheels checked for build quality. Much more important than the actual components

The Sola 2 comes with Alex XD's. Haven't ridden them but I do have the Alex XD Lite 26" on my other bike, I';m about 95kg and I nailed them hard on the Magalies Monster putting a few dings in over the rocks with no problems. So like everyone says, have a reputable builder look them over but they should be all good.

I bought a silverback storm with ZTR crest wheels when I was still tipping the scale on 113kg. till today I have not had a problem with the wheels or the bike. so I agree that stronger wheels are better for heavy riders and that most bikes should be able to take heavy riders. a lot will depend on the kind of riding you do, and the abuse you put your bike through on a daily basis.

I sold my GT 26er HT with upgraded Shimano MT65 wheelset to my buddy who is 130kg

He bought and put on a kiddy chair for his 2 year old - Seth

TBH I was a bit concerned when he told me that he was cycling just fine with Seth on the back, but that GT with that "Tripple Triangle" geomerty frame holds like non other

Very impressed with GT ever since....