What is good enough?

Johan Schade

I reckon there is a sweet spot around the R20k mark for new bikes where you can get a good dual-sus 29er. For that you'll get a decent group set and an alu frame that will last you 5-7 years of weekend training and 10-15 races (40-70km) per year.

I bought a 29 Trek with XT / SLX group Fox shocks for R18k a year ago and it's been a great buy. Solid enough to handle some marathons (K2C, Hakahana, Diamond Rush) and heaps of Northern Farms / Breedts Nek rides with mates.

Sure it's not as light as I would like it to be.... but neither is my ass.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread needs a picture. Here is my mtb, came in 26th/765 @ knysna. :0 its so fast cause down hill the brakes don't work!! Total cost so far 700

All good and well. But I think with your fitness, a R50k bike would gain you several positions. But big respect to you for riding that bike to such a position.

All good and well. But I think with your fitness, a R50k bike would gain you several positions. But big respect to you for riding that bike to such a position.

I also would have had feeling in by hands, ass and back!!