Pinch Flat Help - Tyre repair?

Morwa

Hubbers,

Took a "little" jump over the weekend, and came down on rocks. So, after another 3km's I realized that the rear wheel has gone flat. After inspection saw a little pinch bite (2mm) on the side wall of the tyre, just above the rim leaking sealant. After 3 bombs manage to get to my car, luckily it happened close to the end of training.

My sealant didn't manage to seal the cut. And yes, it was "fresh" sealant (about 2 months old). I don't want to name and blame the sealant at this stage, but it's a local SA product (Not Stan's or Joe's). Is it possible to patch the cut on the inside of the tyre wall? Cut is small, about 2mm and tyre still new. What kind of patch do you use?

Edited by Morwa

Cut a small piece of cotton T-Shirt material into a strip, fold it over on itself so that it is just bigger than the hole and push it thru the hole from the inside, the sealant will now have something to "bite" into and dry against. I have used this with great success on numerous tyre side wall cuts. No other glue on patch will hold on the side wall

Hubbers,

Took a "little" jump over the weekend, and came down on rocks. So, after another 3km's I realized that the rear wheel has gone flat. After inspection saw a little pinch bite (2mm) on the side wall of the tyre, just above the rim leaking sealant. After 3 bombs manage to get to my car, luckily it happened close to the end of training.

My sealant didn't manage to seal the cut. And yes, it was "fresh" sealant (about 2 months old). I don't want to name and blame the sealant at this stage, but it's a local SA product (Not Stan's or Joe's). Is it possible to patch the cut on the inside of the tyre wall? Cut is small, about 2mm and tyre still new. What kind of patch do you use?

i had a similar puncture, just above the bead. I was able to patch it from the inside with no issues.

Just make sure the wall is very clean and rough it up with a bit of sanding paper. I put mine in a vice (two pieces of wood either side) for about a day.

i have several patches inside my tires over the years, i use the normal glue pacth kit things. have even used a pnp cheap bike repair kit and even a small piece of cut tube glued in place before with zero issues. the pressure is pushing the patch onto the tire from the inside out, so i see the patch as being forced on. obviously wait for the glue to dry etc first but my point stands.

Thanks for the replies. @fanievb, what kind of patch did you use?

http://cdn.instructables.com/F1G/YZ3A/HMWVZ7OZ/F1GYZ3AHMWVZ7OZ.MEDIUM.jpg

i had a similar puncture, just above the bead. I was able to patch it from the inside with no issues.

Just make sure the wall is very clean and rough it up with a bit of sanding paper. I put mine in a vice (two pieces of wood either side) for about a day.

That will be your best choice, moenie haastig wees nie

Don't put it in a vice - too much pressure on the patch will damage it's structure.

Can use the back of a teaspoon to rub the patch but not too hard - just let the weld cure properly.

Tjoepless does not mean no punktures.