how much does the extra 40mm of suspension travel matter??

rudi-h

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thread. and this is the thought process I got through with people who I help buy bikes. In my experience the guys who do open their minds to a different way of thinking by buying slacker geo and longer travel end up with a faster progression to a higher skill level.

I will never go back to XC since buying my first Trail bike about 7 years ago - even though I do get opportunity to test ride lots of different bikes. Even my hardtail is made for a squishy 140mm up front.

Edit: bad granma

Edited by Robodog

Rudi, I dont know "if you save R15k" cause the specs of the bikes are so different.

I had a 120mm (crap spec) XC and since I have my 150mm I have not been back on the other one. (I must actually service it and just sell it.)

I agree 100% with what Brian F said above!

After riding my bike now for over a year I still get off and almost everytime say "damn I love riding this bike".

Also don't get your mind set on just 140mm, look at the 150mm/160mm frames too. If I had to buy one now it would either be the YT Capra or Tracer T275 (luckily I don't have to choose now) both are a bit pricey though AND difficult to got into SA. The Pyga is a great buy too (don't know the cost). I dont know if with your history with Commencal you will consider that again, but their latest bikes are really awesome.

You are welcome to join me/us on a ride (yes on the Spruit) and you can feel my Intense. (Warning alert, you might not want to give it back... ^_^). I might be able to get you to feel another (160mmF/150mmB) to feel on the same ride. (Both bikes will have flats on, unless you carry the pedal spanner with and change them.)

BIG NOTE THOUGH - I do not think my bike feels this awesome because of the 150mm - I do not think it is really the travel, but more the geometry that makes it great. (Yes in a way they go hand in hand, but adding travel to a crap designed frame will not improve it a lot) I think that is why the YT's also feel awesome, it is the well designed geometry.

Let me know when you want to join, I leave home everyday just after 4:15pm.

Thanks that'd be really awesome! I'll let you know next week, this week turned out to be a bit of a mess so far

Thanks for the heads up.

*Note to self, stay away from G2G....

Selling out fast ! Only a couple left.

Thanks for the heads up.

*Note to self, stay away from G2G....

They had a Zesty on the Hub last week for about 30k

AND there I was told "size doesn't" matter... :eek: pfft!

She was trying to make you feel better.

But as I said in my first post, it's more about the angles anyway.

i think the answer lies in all of them, my general rule of thumb is go for more, in every situation more is better.

• 203mm rotors, do i need them, no not really but they look the business.
  • 160mm travel do i use all of it( generally unless i run out of talent) no but it looks the business.
  • big ass fat tires, really needed for what i do?( me i say yes but hey i may just be trying to convince myself)but they look the business.
  • when sitting looking at my steed having coffee i have to suppress "wood" cause my bike looks the frikken busines..

thats about all that counts :ph34r:

Hahaha - love that comment