semi bath alternatives

vinylguy

Synthetic motor oil (5w40)?

http://www.rensu.co.uk/media/gbu0/prodlg/MAGNATEC%205W-30%20A1-1LTR.JPG

Edited by droo

That looks like a Chinese knock-off bottle of oil. Probably made and decanted in Droo's garage. Look at the spelling of Castrol at the top and then at the bottom at the Ford label. Droo, I'm watching you.

That looks like a Chinese knock-off bottle of oil. Probably made and decanted in Droo's garage. Look at the spelling of Castrol at the top and then at the bottom at the Ford label. Droo, I'm watching you.

Hahaha!

http://www.rensu.co.uk/media/gbu0/prodlg/MAGNATEC%205W-30%20A1-1LTR.JPG

This is what I use, works perfectly, Midas has 5W40 500ml for R35.

That's workshop to you. The typos must have slipped past my proofreading dog. Maybe he needs new glasses.

I've never used a motor oil for the lowers, and I couldn't find the Magnatec option (only in the semi-synthetic form). Would there be any issue using fully synthetic Castrol Edge (5W-40)? post-3245-0-69984400-1406274751_thumb.jpg

I've never used a motor oil for the lowers, and I couldn't find the Magnatec option (only in the semi-synthetic form). Would there be any issue using fully synthetic Castrol Edge (5W-40)? post-3245-0-69984400-1406274751_thumb.jpg

No issue whatsoever M. Even plain old mineral oil would work if you can get it is a 5 or 10W viscocity. It performs a purely lubrication function down there and as long as it can splash around, it is fine.

No issue whatsoever M. Even plain old mineral oil would work if you can get it is a 5 or 10W viscocity. It performs a purely lubrication function down there and as long as it can splash around, it is fine.

Thanks for the response JB. I just ask as I have spare fork oil knocking about, (which I could use) but I've read that the synthetic motor oil provides better lubrication (particularly before the splashing around occurs). So I just want to make sure I'm moving forward and not taking a step sideways.

Thanks for the response JB. I just ask as I have spare fork oil knocking about, (which I could use) but I've read that the synthetic motor oil provides better lubrication (particularly before the splashing around occurs). So I just want to make sure I'm moving forward and not taking a step sideways.

I couldn't find any 5W40 fully synthetics, went with a semi synthetic Diesel oil(Shell or Havoline, me forgot) works like a charm, fork has been fine for 1500km.

Ping GoLefty. I think the lubrication provided by both oils is already above good enough, so any improvements in lubrication, adhesion to parts, splashing, anti-foam additives and whathaveyou will not show up in anything you can see, feel or hear. Sometimes good enough is just good enough.

As my understanding of it goes, as long as it's fully synthetic, thin enough to splash around and thick enough to stick to internal parts it'll do the job. I've tested a few different oils over the past 18 months and the Magnatec seems to be about the best bang for buck, but that doesn't mean it's the only stuff that'll work. Ideally you're looking for something around the 40 - 50 cSt range. Fork oil is always a good bet because it won't have any seal-swelling additives.