Elixir 5 front brake fade ....... there I said it now help!

porqui

Johan - thanx!

Fluid fade to the Tee

The replacement pads are Quaxar Ceraplasma carbon metalic pads - new.

Now I guess that when the fluid heated it created a gas and hence the failure. The gas - would that have dissipated back into the fluid when it cooled?

Capricorn highly recommends Motul RB600/660 synth dot4 fluid as a replacement. Is there a big difference in the quality of the different brand names? I have been using Autotech 270 DOT4 brake fluid. The 270 refers to the boiling point in C (Would be 170/270). If I convert the 600/660 from f to C it equals 315/350 in C which is a big difference in temperature tolerance. Need to take note of those little numbers.

Comment please.

Capricorn where can I get the Motul fluid?

i got mine online from world of accessories. But ask Muzzarati: he got his somewhere in claremont. Even though it has a slightly lower dry boiling point, I choose the RBF600 over the RBF660 because the former has a higher wet boiling point. 216 versus 204 C. Reason i switched to a high performance synthetic was due to recurring issues with the stock fluid in the Codes on my DH bike. After i replaced the fluid myself, zero issues. Off the bat, I did the same with my XO trails when i got em. Might be overkill, but its proven piece of mind.

muzzarti said he doesn't remember the stores name. and it was some place off durban road in the northern burbs, not southern. Sorry..

Edited by Capricorn

I've had XX's ( sold them to mayhem ), XO trails, X5s, I've had every type of rotor and pad combination on these, I've learnt to bleed, adjust, pamper and accept Avids for what they are, and that is .... inferior to almost all other price/segment comparable options.

Bang for buck, SLX or XT cannot be beaten.

For the price of a set of pads, labour costs of bleeding, and time wasted in the shop and on the trail, just throw them Avids in the bin.

Flame suit on.

Edit* can't help myself- maybe you can sell them to someone wanting to build a "SS".

Edited by TheV