Front Derailleur Confusion

Carbon Junky

I am busy building my first mountain bike and now confused as to what type of front derailleur I should be buying. I must confess that im a roadie and new to mountain biking. Can someone please explain all the terms like high mount, low mount, direct mount and then low clamp and high clamp. Thanks

Ask for a 1X10 front derailleur. It is universal and solves all those problems....

Ha Ha ... Funny!

I am busy building my first mountain bike and now confused as to what type of front derailleur I should be buying. I must confess that im a roadie and new to mountain biking. Can someone please explain all the terms like high mount, low mount, direct mount and then low clamp and high clamp. Thanks

Depends on the Frame and crankset. Most frames takes the Band Clamp (clamp that goes around the seat tube) unless if the frame has a direct mount point on the frame (2 types of direct mount). What Frame do you have?

If its a band clamp, the top/bottom clamp depends on if it will interfere with the bottle cages mounts. This you will only figure out when have already fitted the crankset to see if this will happen or not.

Does the cable come from the top or bottom of the derailleur? In some cases the derailleur allow only for a cable pulling from the top.

If you have some pics of the frame and crankset we may be able to help better.

Jaco, maybe take a pic of the frame. Do you know what diameter your seat tube is? And tell us where the gear cable runs down the frame. That will determine if it's a top pull or bottom pull derailleur.

Thanks guys, I will add some pics later today or tonight. The cable comes from the bottom and not from the top

Did you get sorted out, Jaco?

I'm guessing you'll go with this one (XT M781 conventional front mech)? Unless, like johanpre44 says, this high clamp will interfere with your bottle cages mounts. If you don't post a pic of your seat tube and bottle cage mounts, we won't really be able to see if this is going to be a mistake or not...