how to repair a UST tyre

Mawbs

Step 1 - Remove tyre

Step 2 - Throw tyre in the bin

Step 3 - Take a drive to your LBS

Step 4 - Purchase Maxiss Crossmark tyres

Step 5 - Refit tyre and never worry again

:ph34r:

Jokes aside, I think that doing a repair job is going to give you endless drama. I ride a Crossmark at the rear and an Ardent up front - my riding style is pretty aggressive and I have taken them tyres where no tyres have gone and they keep asking for more - b omb proof combo :clap:

Oh, Chris Willemse Cycles has them on a great deal, check it out - http://www.cwcycles....k-ust-29er-tyre and http://www.cwcycles....ust-lust-29x225

No. Just no. That's blatant consumerism, when the tire can be fixed perfectly and without hassle for the cost of some toothfloss. The tires are BRAND new (if you read the post properly) and can be fixed. Buy a new tyre? No wy.

Go to a motorcycle repair shop and ask them for the smallest mushroom plugs they sell. this will do the job.

Best post here so far....

Great inventions those mushroom plugs

No. Just no. That's blatant consumerism, when the tire can be fixed perfectly and without hassle for the cost of some toothfloss. The tires are BRAND new (if you read the post properly) and can be fixed. Buy a new tyre? No wy.

+1

No point peeing away money into the wind

Stitch it together with dental floss (the waxed variety) - No, I am NOT joking - and then patch it with a thick, large patch from the inside. The Dental Floss will hold it together properly, and prevent the patch from trying to force itself out of the gatjie in the tyre. it'll be a lot stronger than a patch by itself, and if you do it right the floss won't come undone until the tyre is well past its sell by date.

Ridden like this for quite a while on my old rear tire and it lasted VERY well.

Sharp, simple yet effective. Thanks for that, might just keep a needle and some floss in my breakdown kit for touring. Nothing is worse than doing a 3 hour climb, cutting your sidewall on the first 100m going down and having to walk 1500m of vertical descent. If not used for the above, at least I can pop a blister and floss my teeth in the high mountains or stitch up some skin after a fall. :thumbup:

definately not just throwing it away ( and anyway as far as i know Crossmark don,t come in a 27.5 x 2.25 )

will definately be doing a repair job. Also just checked out a video on Pinbike where the guy uses a part of an old tire and plenty of glue as he says that sometimes normal patches can stretch and stick out the Hole.

I like that Floss idea, i also got a "BOOT" from local LBS but i think they work more with Tubes.

definately not just throwing it away ( and anyway as far as i know Crossmark don,t come in a 27.5 x 2.25 )

will definately be doing a repair job. Also just checked out a video on Pinbike where the guy uses a part of an old tire and plenty of glue as he says that sometimes normal patches can stretch and stick out the Hole.

I like that Floss idea, i also got a "BOOT" from local LBS but i think they work more with Tubes.

The old tire thing would work, bit it won't be a lasting repair - you don't want to add too much weight at a single point on the tyre, as it'll oscillate heavily at speed.

The best bet is floss on the cut, then oodles of glue, patch, then for a bit of extra cover maybe a larger piece of old tube over the patch. But that would be overkill and will go into the "too much weight" arena.

Go to a motorcycle repair shop and ask them for the smallest mushroom plugs they sell. this will do the job.post-5378-0-33058600-1406538277_thumb.jpg

:thumbup:

I have fixed a 15mm sidewall cut with one of those which lasted the life of the tyre.

The only issue is finding the things. Next time I find them I'm buying 10.

They usually cost around R50 but well worth it especially if you cut a brand new tyre like I did.

Step 1 - Remove tyre

Step 2 - Throw tyre in the bin

Step 3 - Take a drive to your LBS

Step 4 - Purchase Maxiss Crossmark tyres

Step 5 - Refit tyre and never worry again

:ph34r:

Jokes aside, I think that doing a repair job is going to give you endless drama. I ride a Crossmark at the rear and an Ardent up front - my riding style is pretty aggressive and I have taken them tyres where no tyres have gone and they keep asking for more - b omb proof combo :clap:

Oh, Chris Willemse Cycles has them on a great deal, check it out - http://www.cwcycles....k-ust-29er-tyre and http://www.cwcycles....ust-lust-29x225

EDIT: yes they are a little on the heavy side, but run them tubless, small price to pay IMO

I love this, I have three Racing Ralphs in boxes at home, I have to ride a Maxxis Arent on the rear, I weight 97 KG and love rock gardens, yes it heavy, all that protects has weight, the racing ralph is to thin, they even warn you about this on there website. what do you think they are saying when they mention ..

http://www.schwalbetires.com/images/error3.gif

NOTE: This is an out and out competition tire! Puncture protection and durability are limited!

http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/off-road_tires/racing_ralph_425

So it seems i have made a decent repair using the Floss and patch method, i am just going to run a tube for first ride or 2 just to make sure the stiching holds.