OFM classic no more

Ocin

Sad day for Free State cycling. There will be no OFM classic anymore due to financial reasons

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well this sucks!!!

now some of us is left only with Herald and Dispatch.

There goes all hope off getting a proper seeding for argus. i guess then the argus is also out the window.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5CVnSgtH9UM/UEaZf4ohGDI/AAAAAAAABQs/BNbiXxIHuR8/s400/Crying.gif

Pity, was worth the drive from PE to participate. Seems less and less road races these days, whereas MTB races seem to be increasing?

Pity, was worth the drive from PE to participate. Seems less and less road races these days, whereas MTB races seem to be increasing?

That is because of the increase per km to use the tar roads. It went up from R3 per kilo to something like R30 in 2 years. With the little turnout road races gets in the Freestate, the organizers is forced to cancel races

Sad day for Free State cycling. There will be no OFM classic anymore due to financial reasons

That is because of the increase per km to use the tar roads. It went up from R3 per kilo to something like R30 in 2 years. With the little turnout road races gets in the Freestate, the organizers is forced to cancel races

Do you by any chance know if the the MTB events will still happen?

From what I have heard no, but we have quality mtb races in the whole of Freestate that is much better than the OFM Mtb race. Go have a look at the Eden Classic

http://www.bushfella...t/eden-classic/

thanks, but I'm looking at something closer to Bloem during Nov, then I can do the event and visit family.

2 vliee met een klap

Is the use of the tar road charged per rider per km or just per km? If it is the latter, it seems silly that the event would be cancelled due to a cost increase from R300 to R3000 (event is 100km), which can be covered by an R1 increase in the entry fee for the 4000 riders.

Is the use of the tar road charged per rider per km or just per km? If it is the latter, it seems silly that the event would be cancelled due to a cost increase from R300 to R3000 (event is 100km), which can be covered by an R1 increase in the entry fee for the 4000 riders.

Problem isn't only related to the use if the road, also factor in health and safety requirements, insurance, security, cost of traffic officers/saps, cost of medics etc.

Our running club hosts an annual event 21km of which 13 is off road, cost to host is avg 18k excl insurance and prizes

Very Sad. Did one two years ago and really enjoyed it but was hit by a stomach bug the morning of the race so was not performing like I should and always wanted to go back for another one.

Its a real shame that another road race bites the dust. In the republic of Western cape there is plenty of road events to chose from, with awesome work by WP cycling and Lights by Linea.

I just wish the PPA would at least send out notices to their members about these events as they do cater for the fun rider at most events!

The racing snakes need the fun rider to make the events viable and affordable. Even through winter been spoiled for choice for road events.

Archived