Recovery after 2 falls

I did the USN race on Saturday. It was not my day and took 2 falls. The first one when my tyre came away from the rim while going around a corner (not sure why) and the second after loosing concentration.

I fell really heavily onto my left side and have 4 enormous bruises of which 2 are rock hard and very sore.

In the second fall I flew over the handlebars and landed on my chest. My ribs are a bit tender but my left side just to the right of my hip bone is very sore.

What can I do to recover quickly or it it just time and patience.

Also, what sort of training can I do to help aid recovery but keep fitness up. Any sort of jarring on my legs is painful and riding a bike hurts the bruises.

I did the USN race on Saturday. It was not my day and took 2 falls. The first one when my tyre came away from the rim while going around a corner (not sure why) and the second after loosing concentration.

I fell really heavily onto my left side and have 4 enormous bruises of which 2 are rock hard and very sore.

In the second fall I flew over the handlebars and landed on my chest. My ribs are a bit tender but my left side just to the right of my hip bone is very sore.

Also, what sort of training can I do to help aid recovery but keep fitness up. Any sort of jarring on my legs is painful and riding a bike hurts the bruises.

Sorry to hear about the fall. Try swimming to get the lung capacity up. It is also low (i.e. zero) impact. Some Pilates routines may also help your core and flexibility. Just keep off the bruised areas.

The rock hard bruises are potentially a concern - I would suggest that you seek medical advice quickly - there are some interventions that can be applied, but I am concerned about those - it is quite possible you have done more damage than you think you have.

Thanks all for the advise. I will seek GP opinion on the hard bumps should they get better by tomorrow as they seem to be healing slowly but surely (I hope that I am not imagining this)

Dont delay going to the GP if you are still in pain after several days. He/she will be able to treat any real problems better than we can and will also lay out best options for fast recovery. Good luck.

Edited by JXV

In oriental medicine bruises like that with hard swelling are usually on the bone or have gone bone level. Get yourself some Chinese medicinal linament. The linament is for martial arts injuries.

The area should be bruising purple and black by now if you haven't been massaging it. Bone level injuries trap blood on the periosteum which weakens the bone, and stops energy flow. Heat the area well with a heated bean bag or some other method of warming it, then rub the linament well into the bruised area pushing down to bone level taking care NOT to allow linament into ANY areas that are open and some of the ingredients are poisenous.. This will hurt like hell.

Press and rub area deeply until the bump has gone completely down. This will also hurt like hell.At this stage the bruise should turn a lovelybrownish pink shade. Do this 3 x a day and by the next day or 2 the black/blue colour will turn a yellowish brownish hue. This is a sign that the blood and energy stagnation has reduced and healing is on the way.

If you do have any cracks in the bone this will accelerate bone healing as well.

If not convinced go see GP rather.

In oriental medicine bruises like that with hard swelling are usually on the bone or have gone bone level. Get yourself some Chinese medicinal linament. The linament is for martial arts injuries.

The area should be bruising purple and black by now if you haven't been massaging it. Bone level injuries trap blood on the periosteum which weakens the bone, and stops energy flow. Heat the area well with a heated bean bag or some other method of warming it, then rub the linament well into the bruised area pushing down to bone level taking care NOT to allow linament into ANY areas that are open and some of the ingredients are poisenous.. This will hurt like hell.

Press and rub area deeply until the bump has gone completely down. This will also hurt like hell.At this stage the bruise should turn a lovelybrownish pink shade. Do this 3 x a day and by the next day or 2 the black/blue colour will turn a yellowish brownish hue. This is a sign that the blood and energy stagnation has reduced and healing is on the way.

If you do have any cracks in the bone this will accelerate bone healing as well.

If not convinced go see GP rather.

Eina. The thought sends shivers down my spine. just touching putting weight on these spots when rolling over in bed is enough for me.

Okay, I think I know what you are going through. I wiped out a while ago. I have attached a pic. It sounds as if you may have a hematoma. You need to see a doctor. Don't try to be a tough guy like me, it cost me almost three months off the bike with three minor operations to drain the bloody thing. See the Doc and have it sorted out.

post-16512-0-88272000-1407262593_thumb.jpg

Yes, i used to get those often. Lots of blood and energy stagnation. It needs to be massaged, but with medicine made for it..

You'll probably find that if you didn't massage it , you'll have a permanent lump and possibly some uneven lumpiness on the bone. caused by calcification. and note again...do not rub medicine on open bit of the wound.