Road Tires On a MTB Help!!!

Stewart69uk

Hi All

Have recently had a few set backs to my mountain bike riding

A broken foot and a whole load of other injury's stopped me Riding

Was About to get back on the Saddle when I had my Garage Broken Into

And My Bikes stolen

I couldn't afford to replace my Momsen 29" Hardtail so did a bit of shopping for a 2nd hand bike and have found and bought a 2012 BMC speedfox sf2 26" D/S

Now some might wonder why I bought a 26"

I found my old 26" bike alot more fun on the downhill single track sections than my 29"

and I got the Bike for a good Price

Now to the Main question

I want to have a set of road and mtb tires but I don't want to keep changing the tires on the rims

I want to just change the whole wheel so I can have them both Tubeless

Whats the Best rim/ tire combo ? want to spend around R2500

what will I need to just be able to swap them over in 2 mins flat ?

can I buy the sproket ? etc if so where do I go

Based In Durban But I do like to shop Online

planning on doing the Amashova

Thanks

Find some cheap rims and fit some Continental Sport Contact 1.3 slicks, those tires are brilliant on the road.

Maybe a bit more info would be good - what axles do you need on the rimset - 15 TA or QR front?

In regards to casette and brake rotors - (sprocket and discs ;) ) you can buy them easily enough.

Your budget for everything together may lend itself to a secondhand combo rather than a new setup. May have to buy road tyres, and a set of rims with casette and rotors on them from someone -deals like that come on the hub often - keep your eyes peeled on the classifieds or put a wanted add up.

Buy a secondhand 29er wheelset and fit 700 x 25c road tyres to it. Looks funny, especially on a DS, but it works.

That's a nice bike btw, don't let anyone tell you that 26 is obsolete. It still works.

29er wheels might actual work if you fit 700c road tires. My 26er wheels with Nobby Nics are about the same diameter as my road bike wheels.

Will 29er Wheels Fit ?

Yep, with 700c tyres they will.

Why not just fit a Mono rail front and Crossmark rear tyre, great on the loose stuff and hardy enough for the tar?

Cos on Karkloof singletrack you'll see your nought, and on the road you'll do FAR better with an actual road tyre. I'm running Monorail F / Larsen R on my SS commuter hack bike and they absolutely suck at offroad. Show them a rock or a root and they slide like a... I'll get banned if I say what I'm thinking. Great for skills training though.

It's a compromise that gives you the worst of both worlds.

Why not just fit a Mono rail front and Crossmark rear tyre, great on the loose stuff and hardy enough for the tar?

Because Maxxis tyres will try to kill you on anything other than dry hot tar :w00t:

Because Maxxis tyres will try to kill you on anything other than dry hot tar :w00t:

Tried a High Roller 2 lately?