Glue for base tape of tubular tyre

Nevthedev

Hi guys, What glue is recommended to stick the base tape onto a Continental Gatorskin Tubular Tyre?

Have you checked out Tufo tubby tape?

It's replaced the old glue system.

I've had no issues with reliability.

Hi guys, What glue is recommended to stick the base tape onto a Continental Gatorskin Tubular Tyre?

Tufo tubby tape is good

Carbon and Aluminium Rims require material specific glue (Continental Black box-Carbon, Yellow box-Aluminium).

My personal preference would be to use the glue.

I haven't used the tape yet either, but I've heard it's very good. I think it'll be worth it giving it a shot. And you won't have to let your wheels stand over night for the glue to dry. You can ride immediately after putting the tubbies on with tape.

aaag s h i t I just used the conti tubby glue

Agreed I also just use the conti tubby glue. However I suggest using the alu rim glue even if you have carbon rims instead of the carbon rim glue. The carbon rim glue sticks like mad and can damage the tubby if you remove it for some reason. The alu glue works just fine even with carbon rims.

Agreed I also just use the conti tubby glue. However I suggest using the alu rim glue even if you have carbon rims instead of the carbon rim glue. The carbon rim glue sticks like mad and can damage the tubby if you remove it for some reason. The alu glue works just fine even with carbon rims.

Thanks for the info bud.

Just glued my first carbon tubbies since a loooong while ago. Went smooth

Thanks for the info bud.

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing how many misinterpreted my question. I wanted to know what glue I can use to stick the base tape to the tubular tyre. I did NOT ask what glue to use to stick the Tubular to my Carbon Rims for which I use the Conti Carbon. I wrote to Conti for their advice on what to use to stick the base tape to my gatorskin tubby but they have very conveniently not replied. So I raised the question with one of their reps at the Eurobike Show in Germany on Saturday and he said that Conti actually vulcanise the base tape to the tubby and that they therefore do not recommend repairing their tubular tyres which is a bit ridiculous when you think of the price they cost.I have now stuck my base tape down with their Carbon glue because the gatorskin is made of a nylon/

plastic type of material and I felt that if it could stick to my carbon rims then it should stick to the gatorskin material. And from what I can see the bond seems better that Conti's vulcanising. From nevthedev.

That I leave to my LBS. Had a new tubby (Gator) glued today...cost me R75. Hassle free :)

I stick on my own tubbies myself and find it very easy provided you stretch them on an old rim first. The only hassle is centring the beast once you get it back on the carbon rim because the Conti Carbon glue starts bonding immediately and then it becomes very difficult to align the tubby so that it runs straight. So what I do is mount the tubby on the rim first without any glue. Then I align it after pumping it up a bit and where the tubby meets the rim I place a line right around the tubby on both sides with a white ball point pen which I bought at a Stationery Shop or you can use a Tipex pen which you can also buy there. The next thing to do with the pen is to draw an arrow on the side of the tubby showing the direction the tubby will be turning as you do not want to remount it back to front once you have put the glue on. Doing this makes it "relatively" easy to align the tubby. You will still need to get a tyre lever between the tubby and the rim to move and centre it. Do not worry about breaking the bond because the chemical reaction that takes place with the glue when you leave it for 24 hours before riding will

still create a very strong bond which you will find out when one day you want to remove it from the rim.

Thanks for the info bud.

Yes the Alu glue is OK I understand but remember the Carbon glue was developed to cope with the heat build up in the Carbon Rims when descending steep and long mountain passes where it was found that the alu glue gets soft with the result that your tubby can peal off.

Yes the Alu glue is OK I understand but remember the Carbon glue was developed to cope with the heat build up in the Carbon Rims when descending steep and long mountain passes where it was found that the alu glue gets soft with the result that your tubby can peal off.

That's why I used the carbon glue

I stick on my own tubbies myself and find it very easy provided you stretch them on an old rim first. The only hassle is centring the beast once you get it back on the carbon rim because the Conti Carbon glue starts bonding immediately and then it becomes very difficult to align the tubby so that it runs straight. So what I do is mount the tubby on the rim first without any glue. Then I align it after pumping it up a bit and where the tubby meets the rim I place a line right around the tubby on both sides with a white ball point pen which I bought at a Stationery Shop or you can use a Tipex pen which you can also buy there. The next thing to do with the pen is to draw an arrow on the side of the tubby showing the direction the tubby will be turning as you do not want to remount it back to front once you have put the glue on. Doing this makes it "relatively" easy to align the tubby. You will still need to get a tyre lever between the tubby and the rim to move and centre it. Do not worry about breaking the bond because the chemical reaction that takes place with the glue when you leave it for 24 hours before riding will

still create a very strong bond which you will find out when one day you want to remove it from the rim.

Although it it is obvious I should have mentioned that once you put the glue on the tubby and remount it the idea is to get the line drawn on the tubby to line up exactly with the rim edge. You will then have a tubby that runs perfectly straight. Hope this helps all those who want to mount their own tubbies.

Have you checked out Tufo tubby tape?

It's replaced the old glue system.

I've had no issues with reliability.

Well Tufo Tubby Tape costs R150 at Chris Willemse On-line and it only does one Tubby. The Conti glue costs R50 per tube and is enough for two tubbies. So I will be sticking to the glue.

Archived