Cycling shoes Buyers help

BrentCGP

I searched the forum for a few key words, with no luck.

I have been on the bike for over 10 years now, so by no means a total rookie.

I have been through a few MTB shoes, the best being a older Specialized shoe, which served me 1000s of km.

I recently bought the M240s, too small however 0.5 size differrence. But even the bigger size I dont think will help, they just seem narrow!

I have a WIDE, FLAT size 9 foot.

Anyone else have a wide flat foot, and what shoes did you find are the most comfortable? who makes shoes for wide and flat?

What would you suggest?

I can go try on 50 pairs of shoes, but unfortunately I cant go for a ride with them.

The M240s where fine until I got 5km into a ride.

How can I avoid this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Perhaps we can start a thread with what shoes work best, based on experience for different foot types.

The goal is to at least have a starting point.

I have wiiiide, flat feet - purchased some shimano shoes at LBS. They are fine, even for multi-day use. Will check the exact model - think it's SH-XC30 - and let you know. Comfy for walking too.

I also have South African wide feet that don't fit into narrow euro and especially sidi shoes.

I found that Northwaves are great, they seem to be wider than most.

http://www.wiggle.com/northwave/cycle/shoes/

Just watch out of the import duties if you do have them shipped in. they are classified as clothing by customs.

I have wide flat Dutch feet. Size 10. Dropped arches and all the rest.

I had a set of Specialized SWorks MTB shoe with a Boa closure which I found could be controlled in terms of tightness and were the most comfortable I have ever used.

I wasn't about to spot for another set so I went cheap and bought the Specialized Pro XC's - also size 45, which have an elasticized insert that clamps the foot. I now have Achilles problems from them.

Long story short - I am going back to a set of Sworks MTB shoes. The BOA closures allow a lot of control over the feel and tightness. The BOA do wear but they are the most adjustable IMHO>

So my vote is for these

Get the Spez again!

I wondered about getting something different after my Spez's gave up the ghost. Fitted a lot... makes, models and sizes... went to Spez shop, fitted the same number of the same model, looking way different now (Comp MTB, FWIW). Fit great.

Went for a ride (several now) and it felt like old friends from the first pedalstroke. Nothing pressing anywhere, they just fit and felt exactly like the old pair.

Thank you for bringing up the topic as I am in the very same situation. I recently bought a pair of Giro Privateers. The guy at the shop said that although they are are a bit tight on the sides of the foot they will soon stretch out to fit me comfortably.

It has been 3 months and they are still too tight for me. After about 5km's the discomfort hits me ! Eventually it feels as if my feet are going numb.......

So I recently went hunting for another pair of shoes and fitted a pair of Louis Garneau Montana XT3's (size 45). Which was very comfortable for my wide feet. In the search for new shoes I also found that the common shoe for wider feet is the Shimano M088 which is also available in a wider fit. I am just waiting for stock to arrive so I can fit these and compare. Please post if you found something else for high volume/wider feet.

Edited by reniervs

I have a pair of specialized xc pro shoe with carbon sole. Also flat feet as well. They gave me a bit of discomfort on the sides of my feet in the beginning but just released the buckle and straps ever so slightly and kept riding. What i did find is that when i washed them the instruction manual said that you should squash news paper in them to absorb the damp and keep the shape. Since i've been doing that i have never had any issues with discomfort with these shoes at all. probably the best shoes i have ever had....

Thanks for all the responses, I'm sure quite a few of us are going to get some good info from here.

Will try keep it updated and make a list of shoes or brands that guys have mentined for us wide f(l)at feet guys.

Im out for the day will have a good look later again.

Definitly going to pop into Spez again and have a look again

Shoes are EXPENSIVE, would save a lot if we got them right the first time

Hi brentcgp

We sent you a PM. For a good guide, see attached:

post-16745-0-99275200-1408448996_thumb.jpg

post-16745-0-18398000-1408448998_thumb.jpg

ASG

are you guys stocking 43.5 or any half size Sidi or is this still on special order with months of waiting