Worlds 2014 Hafjell

Headshot

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why's the XCE on Tuesday and not on Friday? That kinda doesn't make sense to me, unless maybe trying to preserve the course for the XCO race. Backing Neff for the U23 win, not sure of the elite ladies - Gunn Rita maybe. Guys it's a straight shoot out between Nino and Julian. DHI ladies I'd say Rachel or Emmeline, with Ratboy the favorite for the men's title.

Why's the XCE on Tuesday and not on Friday? That kinda doesn't make sense to me, unless maybe trying to preserve the course for the XCO race. Backing Neff for the U23 win, not sure of the elite ladies - Gunn Rita maybe. Guys it's a straight shoot out between Nino and Julian. DHI ladies I'd say Rachel or Emmeline, with Ratboy the favorite for the men's title.

Its because there are a lot of disciplines to get through at Worlds .... Remember that there are also Junior worlds as well as Trials .... so there is a lot to fit into one set programme over a week without there being clashes ...

Check out the programme here

http://mtbworldchamps.com/schedule/#text_170fb5ea-eae4-4235-8ee0-04686aea16a6

you will see that

Tues - XCE

Wed - XCO Team Relay Worlds Finals

Thurs - XCO Juniors Finals

Friday - XCO U23 Finals .. and. ... Trials 20" Finals

Sat - XCO Elite Finals ... and Trials 24" Finals

Sun - DH Finals for Juniors and Elites

Nige...whos this young bloke that's heading there to compete in the juniors dh? Excellent to have some youngsters experiencing the world circuit

edit...i believe thats him in the hattons kit with the giant

Edited by Stretch

2 juniors in that pic .... Andrew Martin (aka Ginger Snap) - Hattons Cycles / Giant

and

Gregg Brown (aka Special) - Jeep / Morewood

Both bloody good downhillers - Gregg is like Sam Hill (if he can stay on his bike and get his head in the right place on the day)

Andrew is very precise! was 2nd overall at last nationals i think! So should have a good chance of a top 20 even through hes been off with a broken leg for a bit

Edited by nigelhicks

That is Andrew "Ginger Snap" Martin. The blonde kid in the Jeep kit is 'Special' Gregg Brown

Edit: Damn you Nigel Hicks. Forever just beating me!

Edited by Super_mil

as a matter of interest...are they there on their own dime? or has there been some support and contribution?

Its because there are a lot of disciplines to get through at Worlds .... Remember that there are also Junior worlds as well as Trials .... so there is a lot to fit into one set programme over a week without there being clashes ...

Check out the programme here

http://mtbworldchamps.com/schedule/#text_170fb5ea-eae4-4235-8ee0-04686aea16a6

you will see that

Tues - XCE

Wed - XCO Team Relay Worlds Finals

Thurs - XCO Juniors Finals

Friday - XCO U23 Finals .. and. ... Trials 20" Finals

Sat - XCO Elite Finals ... and Trials 24" Finals

Sun - DH Finals for Juniors and Elites

Cool, thanks. Forgot about the juniors.

as a matter of interest...are they there on their own dime? or has there been some support and contribution?

AFAIK - on their own ... no funding (or at max limited funding) from SASCOC / CSA

Ok so lets hope DSTV doesn't screw us around with some speed chess or some thing like that. SS8 10am they showing DH live. Beer biltong here we come.

AFAIK - on their own ... no funding (or at max limited funding) from SASCOC / CSA

I wont like your post....because I don't like the lack of funding...but big kudos to the parents

That unfortunately is the sad state of affairs for minority sports in SA but good on the parents/sponsor's of those two young dh riders on getting them to this event.

Guest Omega Man

I wont like your post....because I don't like the lack of funding...but big kudos to the parents

Tiaan Odendal, Sam Bull and Garlicke (other riders in the pic) plus a few others have been based primarily in Morzine. Pottie is based in Leogang I think. Living the van life in Europe doing the World Cups and IXS races.

You'd all be shocked at how little (nothing) these guys make out of racing and how little they live on. Even some of the higher profile teams on the World Cup circuit grovel along effectively camping and squatting through Europe. It all sounds like fun but these guys are literally risking life and limb hoping to work their way up the results and land a ride on a top team.