Can you convert a 26er to 650b?

Stephen Povey

So I was looking at the geometry of my full sus Giant anthem 26er and wondered "if I change the front fork and rear assemblage would a 650b conversion be possible?

Anyone know if it'll work?

On an anthem the rear wheel won't be convertable but if the fork is a fox then the front is possible, for what its worth.

This is possible on certain 26er frames,mostly hardtails I think,but unfortunatly not on the Anthems.

Like NixM said,the rear triangle is to small,but you can however run a 27.5 up front.

But I cant see the use in running two different wheel sizes on one bike.just my opinion though.

If you search long and hard enough you might find a rear triangle that has similar pivot points,but I wouldnt go to all that trouble.

Rather save up a bit and keep an eye on the classifieds for a well priced second hand 27.5" bike.

What you can do is strip the Anthem for the fork and groupset, buy a 650b frame and wheels from the classified, or a chinese carbon and sell your frame and wheels on thehub. I just did that and loving my 650b trail bike.

So I was looking at the geometry of my full sus Giant anthem 26er and wondered "if I change the front fork and rear assemblage would a 650b conversion be possible?

Anyone know if it'll work?

Its like changing a Caddy bakkie into an Amarok

The only real way to tell on a full sus is to borrow a 650b rear wheel fit it and then collapse the rear shock completely and check your clearance, if its acceptable to you bearing in mind mud, go for it, most 26 to 650b converts have just under 10mm clearance on the back and use mainly fox front forks which also have a tight clearance of similar specs.

Not worth the hassles....been there and done that.

In most cases you can only fit a 2.1 tyre with full suspension travel.

Never noticed a difference in handling between the 2 sizes.

Fit a 2.4 tyre and you almost at the 650b anyways