Some new stuff arriving for my 2013 Superfly 100 AL:

Had Sram triple up front, changing to FRM 34T N/W chainring

Cassette getting the 16T and 42T upgrade so it will be 11-42

Already changed the XT RD to a X0

Sram X7 FD and shifter and rings will be for sale!

Will post some pics when all done.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some new stuff arriving for my 2013 Superfly 100 AL:

Had Sram triple up front, changing to FRM 34T N/W chainring

Cassette getting the 16T and 42T upgrade so it will be 11-42

Already changed the XT RD to a X0

Sram X7 FD and shifter and rings will be for sale!

Will post some pics when all done.

Hope thats a clutch RD. Otherwise all the best with the upgrades.

It is a type 2 fo sho.

Got it on the hub for R700, long cage, hardly used.

Even changed the brakes for Formula as the Avids were, well, Avids.

It is a type 2 fo sho.

Got it on the hub for R700, long cage, hardly used.

Even changed the brakes for Formula as the Avids were, well, Avids.

Nice combo. I'm running the same on my mat black steed of speed. [emoji39]

post-40232-1418102669,3448.jpg

Depends on the terrain that you ride and how you go about getting up the hills as well as the type of rider you are.

It does descend like something possessed running 120mm, and eats rock gardens as the head angle is a lot slacker.

For me racing at sharp end of the sport I found it had to much of an affect on climbing which is where your big time is made or lost. I think If I was on an XL frame instead of my L at 188cm the affect would be lessened as my weight would be more centered.

I also do a lot of riding in and around the world cup course in PMB where the climbs are super steep as in 27% in some places where you have to have your nose on the stem otherwise the front wheel is off the ground.

Good points....agree 100%.

I'm not up at the sharp end so not too fussed about the climbing aspect. I'm actually looking for some "help" on the descending and the more rocky stuff. Something a bit more plush so to speak. I don't mind if I lose a bit of speed going up. Hence my question on the front fork. I'd rather try this and make a few changes to the Superfly before just splashing out (+- R70K) on a bike like the Fuel ex 9.8....although I do want that bike.

Just discovered something interesting.

I am doing an annual stripdown of my 2013 Superfly 100 AL Elite.

Some of the pivot bearings are a bit scratchy, so I went to the LBS that I bought it from to buy new bearings.

Only problems are:

1. Can't buy just the bearings.  Must buy "kits" that include new bolts etc, which cost R2,300 in total. Yikes, and f--k that!
  2. The bearings they are presenting as replacements are not the same as the ones fitted as OEM.  The rear axle pivots and rocker pivots are clearly marked as VRS bearings, and the replacements are 2RS.  This means that the OEMs are full compliment bearings (no cage and double the amount of balls) and the replacements have cages.  This means that the replacements have about half the load bearing capacity as the originals, and will become pitted much more easily, which means more regular replacement.

Just be aware of this when you are paying for your bike to be serviced.

Hi Gusto.

that is a shame, I have the superfly 100 2012 Model and now the 2014 9.8, great bikes, I always just go to my LBS with the name and list of pivot bearings I need, they order from Rush sports, there is a article on this on the hub, https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/145762-rear-suspension-bearing-supplier-in-ctn/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2498515

Attached is the pivot bearings breakdowm, I can only post this page but on the Trek Website you can get your model

Superfly 2012 Bearing Guide.pdf

Good points....agree 100%.

I'm not up at the sharp end so not too fussed about the climbing aspect. I'm actually looking for some "help" on the descending and the more rocky stuff. Something a bit more plush so to speak. I don't mind if I lose a bit of speed going up. Hence my question on the front fork. I'd rather try this and make a few changes to the Superfly before just splashing out (+- R70K) on a bike like the Fuel ex 9.8....although I do want that bike.

What fork are you running?

Fox evo float 29 RL 100mm

Do you know if it is a 120mm model that has been reduced to 100mm or does it have a 100mm air shaft? in which case you will need to buy and install a 120mm air shaft assembly if memory serves correct.

Do you know if it is a 120mm model that has been reduced to 100mm or does it have a 100mm air shaft? in which case you will need to buy and install a 120mm air shaft assembly if memory serves correct.

Thanks for the info again, appreciate that.

I actually don't have a clue, I would need to check that then get some "trustworthy" advice from a local LBS. (Is it easy to check btw??) :eek:

Although I've been riding for many years, I've never actually done a skills clinic. Doing the Tread skills clinic on Saturday so going to pick their brains too when we go through bike set up and that sort of thing.

Thanks for the info again, appreciate that.

I actually don't have a clue, I would need to check that then get some "trustworthy" advice from a local LBS. (Is it easy to check btw??) :eek:

Although I've been riding for many years, I've never actually done a skills clinic. Doing the Tread skills clinic on Saturday so going to pick their brains too when we go through bike set up and that sort of thing.

Should be able to determine from the serial No. or it might say somewhere. otherwise you will need open up the fork and check the air spring shaft.

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/QuickTech/FFloatAirSpgTravelAdj.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the pivot bearings are a bit scratchy, so I went to the LBS that I bought it from to buy new bearings.

Only problems are:

1. Can't buy just the bearings.  Must buy "kits" that include new bolts etc, which cost R2,300 in total. Yikes, and f--k that!
  2. The bearings they are presenting as replacements are not the same as the ones fitted as OEM.  The rear axle pivots and rocker pivots are clearly marked as VRS bearings, and the replacements are 2RS.  This means that the OEMs are full compliment bearings (no cage and double the amount of balls) and the replacements have cages.  This means that the replacements have about half the load bearing capacity as the originals, and will become pitted much more easily, which means more regular replacement.

The story ended reasonably well.  After a lot of research, bought Enduro bearings from another LBS who were willing to help.  The MAX series from Enduro are full compliment and double lip-seal so they are equivalent to the OEM bearings for the swing arm pivot and drive axle pivots.  Could not get full compliment bearings for the shock pivot, so will have to keep an eye on those.

Only problems are:

Don't know which LBS you using, but i've changed my bearings a few times and can always get them seperate, in fact i keep spare bearings in my garage for all the pivots the only kit i've had to buy is the BB and the only bearing i havn't been able to find is the bottom headset bearing which i strip polish and re-assemble every few months.

I own a Superfly 100 carbon and a 470 Fast Track CRMO frame that i use as a commuter and indoor trainer.

And yes its the only other brand that I allow to stand in my garage next to my COLNAGO's as long as they are NOT Shitmano equiped.

Archived