Continental MK Tyre leaking out of bead?

Skylark

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

watch from 4min mark and follow the steps

50-60ml of PS2 for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCun_ZXTPog

Shot, that's a good video, they are very thorough about making sure the sealant gets on all surfaces inside the tyre/bead. Pumped the tyre up really hard and left it lying on either side for 1hr and it seems to have sorted out the leak, will report back tomorrow though!

On the ps2 bottle they recommend 125ml I think, isn't the amount that you are using a bit low/courting disaster on the trail side, how long have you been riding with that amount/had any serious holes yet?

Ps2 is thicker, you definitely need to use more than Stan's 40ml per tyre, Stan's is very thin runs around easier I suppose so you can get away with using less.

Shot, that's a good video, they are very thorough about making sure the sealant gets on all surfaces inside the tyre/bead. Pumped the tyre up really hard and left it lying on either side for 1hr and it seems to have sorted out the leak, will report back tomorrow though!

On the ps2 bottle they recommend 125ml I think, isn't the amount that you are using a bit low/courting disaster on the trail side, how long have you been riding with that amount/had any serious holes yet?

Ps2 is thicker, you definitely need to use more than Stan's 40ml per tyre, Stan's is very thin runs around easier I suppose so you can get away with using less.

That's why I ride with an extra 60ml in my pocket

Thanks Fanie, your advice to put the wheel on its side sorted the leak out, rode yesterday at normal pressure and still at that pressure this morning. Very stoked, was expecting one of those pump up your flat tyre everyday for a week or 2 episodes.

How much? Have you got it in the classifieds?

Not yet. I'll put it in there. I shouldn't have posted here.... It's not really part of the OP's topic. I'll PM you.

• 3 weeks later...

Whoa did this tyre take long to seal, what a Pita.

Only way to really seal the sidewalls/bead was to pump up the tyre to around 5bars do the Stan's shake thing and leave the tyre on its side for a day each side, doing the shake thing every now and then to spread the sealant, pretty much sealed now..... I hope

Mine also worked at last, but my tyre's not going to last another 2 months, so then it has to happen all over again :(

Mine also worked at last, but my tyre's not going to last another 2 months, so then it has to happen all over again :(

Are you using Stan's

Nope - I've started using some other product now - super quick seals and quite happy with it, and R100/500ml and only need something like 100ml per wheel for 29 and 60ml per wheel for 26".

Dont think there is any magic solution to some continental sidewalls, just patience.

Or another type of tyre.Had mine replaced at no cost.

• 2 weeks later...

Put a new mountainking on the wife's bike, and i have the dreaded sidewall leak.

Should I spend the time to try and correct this? or should I contact buycycle and ask my money back?

You can also buy liquid latex from an art supply shop and paint a few coats on the inside of the tyre before you mount the tyre. Usually does a pretty good job of preventing sidewall seepage.

I've also heard the painting latex trick, painting Stan's apparently works in that capacity as well, was going to to that on my tyre but I forgot before I mounted it :(

Also clean inside of the tyre with thinners before painting on latex.

Continental side wall leaks seems to be par for the curse on their tyres, if you google it there are tons of complaints. Once they eventually seal up they seem perfectly fine though, seeing the tyre is already mounted and the huge mission to return the tyre I'd use the tricks mentioned in this thread to seal it up and ride it. Especially watch that Stan's video, do what they say re shaking the tyre and then pump up as hard as the tyre can go and leave on each side for a day or so each. Repeat the wheel shaking a few times during the day to keep the sealant spread and curse each time that you had to pay good money for a tyre that gives you the convenience!

Archived