Trails / BikeParks around JHB/PTA

hayleyearth

Trails / Bike parks around jhb/pta  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is your overall nr1 for a morning/midday out on the MTB?

• Avianto
    • Heila
    • Breeds neck
    • Van Gaalens
    • Hakahana
    • Groenkloof
    • Fountains
    • Voortrekker Monument Trails
    • Wolwespruit
    • Red Barn
    • Northern Farms
    • PWC bike park
    • Modderfontein
    • Rietvlei
    • Thaba
    • Kingskloof
    • Spruit
    • Fort Klapperkop
    • Magaliesburg Mountain Bike Trails
    • HAVEN'T DONE ALL OF THEM IN THE LAST YEAR

In the last week or so I realised that I have not ridden at all the trails / bike parks around JHB/PTA, or I only went for events/races. I decided to go and check them all out in the next few weeks, at least with some I can kill two birds with one stone (do more than one on one day).

The things I will comment on (and also appreciate your feedback on if you have done it in the last month or in the next few to come) is:

- distances of trails?

- is the trails 'all MTB friendly'?

- price of entrance?

- trail markings?

- overall trail safety? (Also would I go ride alone...)

- facilities; like loo's, place to buy refreshments, extras (like pool or braai areas or or)?

- the amount of riders that use the trails? (obviously the exact number isn't necessary)?

- type of terrain? (rocky climbs/decents, river crossings, forest sections, long straights, loops on grass fields, etc)

- anything else?

Another important thing to note is if you have done one of the trails 1 year ago your input might not be valid anymore because they might have changed the trails a lot, so please only comment if you have done it in the last month or so or once you have done it in the next while to come. The same with if you have only been to that park for an event/race, please do not comment on those terms.

Is there any other trails not on my list which you can recommend I should add?

I will maybe also add the dates as I plan to go to them ahead of time if any of you would like to join.

After this weekend's riding I am very excited about this 'research'. :)

(Because this is XC(O/M) / AM / Trail riding orientated and with me trying to cover all the riding disciplines (road/MTB/DH) in one week there might be some weekends I will have to skip this 'research'.)

You can also add in the Magaliesburg Mountain Bike Trails?

Around 24km in total on various routes (long term plan is about 70km+ over next 2 years).
Includes dirt roads, 4x4 track and single track as well as stream/river crossings.
Sandy and rocky with shale/slate sections 
Steep uphills and downhills
Easy routes for the not so fit.
Safe parking
Start Venue offers meals, drinks and toilet facilities and massage facilities at health spa on site
Currently R20 per rider.
Safe (I ride alone all the time with no issues, however it is South Africa....)
Full colour map is included in your entry fee to follow the colour marked routes

The idea was to create a network of trails not only for riders looking for challenges and new tracks but also as a 'cycling meander' around the village of Magaliesburg for families to also enjoy as well as offering inhouse guests at venues safe cycling routes.

Hopefully over time we can create a couple of jobs for locals out of this and help bolster tourism in the area.

We will be adding in more venues as park and pay points as the trails develop.

post-12678-0-23395500-1411977118_thumb.jpg

Review #1:

Trial: Avianto

Date: 27th September 2014

Start: 7:30am ish

Weather condition: Very warm, no wind, no clouds.

Bike: AM 150mm, 27.5", 14kg, 1x10 (F34, R11-36)

Distance done: 30km

We followed mainly the blue trail with the black bits.

Once we started we didnt really know which colour trail will take us the furthest or most 'fun'. Maybe it is on a board we didnt see, but an overall trails map would have been handy to view before we started. The trail makings were good accept for coming back from the other side of the road accross from the wedding venue, we just went through the main entrance at the venue.

R30 for entrance.

I think this is great for what you get. The facilities (loo's etc) are in top condition and there is a 'bar area' to buy drinks (coffee, cooldrinks, beers). They also have a pool!! :thumbup:  It was VERY inviting and I would have taken my cozzie if I knew. I saw quite a few braai areas so I assume one could have a braai there too. As far as I know this is all part of the entrance fee. (This alone added a few browny points for me to go back.)

We were a group of 4 riders (2xM, 2xF) and I felt safe enough to go do an extra bit further alone while the others had a drink. Taking in account that the trails aren't fenced off at most areas and it crosses tar roads I wont give it a thumbs up to go ride alone. This is also because the trails aren't that busy (not many cyclists around); I doubt we saw 10 other MTB'ers there at that time.

The terrain has a bit of ALMOST everything I would say. Some of the rocky climbs I was of course pushing my bike (only because my current fitness is very bad), but normal riders will be able to ride them. I loved all the rocky decents and quite a few times I was thinking of climbing back up just to do the downs again. The trails were very dry but well maintained. There are quite a bit of 'loops' on the same pieces of land, but not THAT much to get me frustrated because it feels like I am not going anywhere. At the start there is a section with high berms they just built it seemed, one can take a few of them very high at high speeds. As mentioned the trails were well marked, but the boards indicating "drop ahead" made me wait for something that never came. Most of the trail is on open land (not many trees), but the sections trhought the 1 or 2 areas with tries were fun.

I have only been to Avianto once before, in 2012 for the Endurance race they had, so this was my 1st actual experience. I didnt find most of the trails we road during that event (like where the train tracks were), but I must say I would go back.

I was smiling most of the way and 'me going for an extra loop instead of having a beer' speaks volumes.

Rating: 8/10 :thumbup:

If Van Gaalens were marked a bit better they would score a perfect 10, but alas. Still my go to when I want to ride. Cater for everyone...dirt roadies, XC cats, enduro rats, newbs

You can also add in the Magaliesburg Mountain Bike Trails?

Around 24km in total on various routes (long term plan is about 70km+ over next 2 years).

Includes dirt roads, 4x4 track and single track as well as stream/river crossings.

Sandy and rocky with shale/slate sections 

Steep uphills and downhills

Easy routes for the not so fit.

Safe parking

Start Venue offers meals, drinks and toilet facilities and massage facilities at health spa on site

Currently R20 per rider.

Safe (I ride alone all the time with no issues, however it is South Africa....)

Full colour map is included in your entry fee to follow the colour marked routes

The idea was to create a network of trails not only for riders looking for challenges and new tracks but also as a 'cycling meander' around the village of Magaliesburg for families to also enjoy as well as offering inhouse guests at venues safe cycling routes.

Hopefully over time we can create a couple of jobs for locals out of this and help bolster tourism in the area.

We will be adding in more venues as park and pay points as the trails develop.

Is there maybe a possibility you can add a bigger map? (or add a web link to one) I did go to their website but dont see it there. Thanks.

Review #2

Trial: Wolwespruit

Date: 14th September 2014

Start: 8:30am ish

Bike: Rocky Mountain AM 150mm, 27.5", ?kg, 1x10 (F34, R11-36) - NOT MY BIKE

Distance done: 14km

There aren't many trails there yet. The total distance we did (one loop) was 14km.

It was a combination of long climbs and fun rocky downs with a berm or two. 98% of the trails are single track and most goes underneath trees.

R30 entrance (as far as I can remember).

The facilities aren't great (yet). No permanent loo's, no place to buy a drink afterwards or no facilities you can have your own (seating places etc).

We were 5 riders (2xF, 3xM). As far as I could see the trails were 100% fenced in, and that day there were quite a few riders. Would I go lady alone? Maybe not, but safe enough for 2 I would say.

There weren't a complete map of the trails at the start, but because there aren't many trails yet, most were self-explanatory.

Because I stay in JHB, I wont drive all the way just to do those trails. Next time I will pack my DH bike too and combine it with a 139 DH session which will make the trip worth while.

Current rating: 4/10

(The rating would be higher for people staying close buy and having that as an 'after work' ride.)

The reason I didnt ride my own bike that day was because I cleaned my chain the day before and forgot to put it back and only realised when I got there (I blame the braai and beers we had the night before)... :blush:

post-24697-0-41205800-1411980603_thumb.jpg

Review #3

Trial: Van Gaalens (Concrete strip side)

Date: 4th October 2014

Start: 7:30am ish

Bike: AM 150mm, 27.5", 14kg, 1x10 (F34, R11-36)

R50 entrance.

SO for another Saturday we decided to go ride about 50km, but due to conditions out of my control we ended doing way less again. Plan was to do concrete side and Greek church on Saturday.

4 riders (3xM, 1xF)

2 riders were riding 'new bikes' for the 1st time. One of these had a flat wheel as we arrived there and then it was fixed with a tube. Then about 2km into the ride (on our way to the concrete strip) the same wheel got punctured and they went back to the start to fix it. Myself and 1xM rode on.

All these lands are completely open areas and I was actually feeling a bit unsafe at times just being 2 riders. We saw only 2 other riders on that route but only at one time far from us. With our 'big bikes' we could ride most of that climb out and my partner were like a campion over the rocky climb sections. One thing I noticed is that if we didnt 'know' the trails we would have felt 'lost' due to the bad signage. At the top-top where one split to go do either Pofadder or Daggapad the boards were either broken or non existing. On my previous time there I did Pofadder so opted for Daggapad this time (never did it before) and I have to add I was a bit dissapointed. At the 'river' at the bottom by partner punctured and that was the end of his ride (because he gave his spare tube earlier to the other rider). He had to push all the way to the Stop street where I then felt safe enough to ride to the start to go fetch the car.

Distance ONLY 25km.

The start venue is of course at the cheese factory and they have A+ choc milkshakes!! Yummy! Decent loo's and restaurant and kiddies play area. I do not think you are allowed to take your own snacks (like food/pic nic stuff).

We ended up not going for the Greek church loop, but we did it about 2 months ago. (Assuming it hasn't changed much I will comment on the experience then.)

The signage on that side of Van Gaalens is better, but still have room for improvement. We went to go do the extra bit of single track up from the church too then and I do not think there was one sign on that section.

Once again, if we were 1st time riders there we would have gotten lost for sure.

Most of the trails have been the same since May 2012 (the 1st time I rode there) and I assume that is why I don't find the need to go back there on a regular basis with all the other places popping up. I know many people like to go ride there, but other than the flowy trails next to the river I dont see what they have to offer that is 'different' to other places.

The terrain is mostly rocky at the sections not next to the river. There it is flowy single tracks with a floating bridge (apparently new one now). Some dirt roads.

It just isn't worth it for me to drive all the way there and pay R50. Not once on the side we rode on Saturday did I get that "I am loving this" feeling. (Even if I do like rocky decents in general.)

Tips for improvement...

-Make clear signs (I really dont know how they attrack 'new riders'),

-Like most the other once I have ridden there is no 'map'/indicator at the start to show which trails go where, how long they are, difficulty level, etc....maybe add something like that at the start,

-Maybe add a fun/different line down from the church

-Maybe advertise when and where new additions to the trails are made, because it is quite difficult to find such areas when the signage is non-existant already

The general feeling on Saturday was "we dont mind the climb if there is a fun decent on the other side".

Rating for now: 6/10

(Better signage will give it a 7/7.5 and a few new features will it a 8/8.5)

Archived